Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Danica Patrick is currently 10th in points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KEVIN HARVICK WINS THE DAYTONA 300

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I think this just goes to show that NASCAR's problems were never something that were going to be fixed with a change in the race format. The problems of too many cautions, too many commercials, is going to keep sinking NASCAR. I'm not tuning in next weekend.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can live with the cautions, but the fix to commercials hasn't been a fix at all and it's glaring.

Cautions and commercial breaks are basically the same thing to me, a break in the racing action. Them adding two extra races to the flag, adding more cautions (and red flags), and FOX unashamedly whoring out commercials ("we're going commercial free to the end thanks to Toyota!" *shows 10 commercials*) just proves to me that NASCAR isn't about racing anymore. It's about being a vehicle for advertisements.

Unfortunately, I can't adblock NASCAR broadcasts. So I'm just not going to watch.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Alain Post posted:

God I hate GWCs

Apparently NASCAR wants RGCYs to be a thing now at stage breaks

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

wicka posted:

I'm not complaining about plate racing or the new format. NASCAR has long had a problem with the frequency and duration of cautions.

This is something that the new stage format was never going to fix. IMO, the racing got worse as the number of cautions went up because teams were starting to get used to knowing that there would be a caution likely to come. They were content to circulate and tick laps off rather than racing hard to gain as much time as they could. All that time advantage would be lost with an inevitable yellow flag anyway, so there was no point in risking to push it in the beginning or middle stages of a race.

NASCAR really needs to think about what it needs to do to reduce the frequency of cautions. (Their duration isn't as big of a problem for me as long as there aren't so many of them, like I'd expect from a typical Indycar race.) If teams know there are likely to be significant stretches of green flag racing, say 2-4 pits stops between cautions, then you'll sure as hell see harder racing from start to finish.

Instead, the stage format feels like the emphasis will be less on the racing, and more when to take your one pit stop to be sure you're at the front for the last few laps to the stage/race finish. Way to dumb it down there, guys.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

the 6 non-competition cautions were brought out mostly because of restrictor plate racing, an idiot, or a tire going down

Two out of those three things happen regularly outside of Daytona and Talledega, though.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

Non Competiton Cautions caused by new format in Cup: 0

You can make a strong argument that the red wouldn't have come out if not for the stage format, however.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

The TV networks advertised interviewing the Stage winner as a feature of the downtime under caution and, if it's something they're trying to build time in for, it's something they're putting way too much stock into. I don't care.

The thing they should be putting stock into is showing the race. That they need to stop showing the race to highlight someone who hasn't won it yet is ridiculous.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

There is nothing wrong with a team crushing the field and lapping everyone to the point where there are only 5 cars left on the lead lap. If NASCAR racing wasn't so manufactured for entertainment, it would probably happen more often even with the parity of the field.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Not even the best animal-themed car.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I just want a 3 mile super-speedway without restrictor plates, just like Coca-Cola Speedway in NASCAR Racing Season 2003

I had a dream once where there was a 3-mile superspeedway built right in the middle of New York, where the track was surrounded by and enveloped numerous skyscrapers.

Kind of like this.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAvB3Nfe14g&t=177s

My favorite Robby Gordon memory.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

njsykora posted:

NASCAR 2017: All The World's In Stages

NASCAR 2017: It's Staged

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Caught the last 100 laps. That was one of the best Bristol races I've seen in a really long time.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Norns posted:

It's better than competition cautions

Aren't stage breaks technically competition cautions, though?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It was not one thing, it was a lot of things in succession. Some of them were in NASCAR's control, some of them were not. Any one of the problems could have been headed off at the pass, but because they were ignored or misdiagnosed things are at a point where NASCAR is laying in the bed they've made.

- As Gordon's generation of drivers starting coming in, the old generation of drivers were getting replaced, retiring, or (gulp) getting killed. The changing of the guard wasn't too big of a problem though since more and more new fans were coming into the fold, so the new blood would be able to earn a fanbase.

- NASCAR updated the cars (COT), the tracks (SAFER barriers) and caution procedures (lucky dog, debris) to make the racing safer. The issues with the cars was something that could be worked out, but the abundance of safety for cautions was probably the main reason the racing became more boring.

- The large and (apparently) growing fanbase reaped big money for NASCAR's TV deal. But then FOX and the others (but mostly FOX) had to go and gently caress over the casual TV viewer with wall-to-wall ads on every broadcast. This would have been tolerable if the racing was great, but because it usually wasn't it became a chore to sit through it. It was (and still is) especially frustrating when commercials were cut into the parts of the races that were actually worth watching. And NASCAR wonders why TV ratings started declining? (This is where I started tuning out.)

- The economic downturn prevented a lot of NASCAR's core fanbase from attending races in its main market. Attendance took a nosedive. Not NASCAR's fault, but simply a reality of the times. NASCAR could have done good here by focusing on its big, traditional races and its large, traditional fanbase. But no, it had to chase after new fans and new money in new markets, who have WAY more things to do than to watch NASCAR on Sundays.

- With boring races that no one can afford to attend in person, and boring races that no one wanted to sit through ads to have to watch on TV, NASCAR switches to the Chase format. This worked in the short-term to generate interest, but then JJ started winning every goddamn year. This hurt the perception of competition, which is something that could have been fixed by focusing on the competition within individual races—that people couldn't afford to attend or didn't want to wait through commercials to see.

- After continuing to tweak the format instead of promoting better racing through better driver development—the downside of Buschwhacking—NASCAR takes a severe paycut to bring in Monster and triples-down on stage racing and the playoffs. This may be another thing were you get short-term gains (the racing has been better here and there, IMO) but…

- Due to NASCAR's past mistakes, the generation of fans that came in with Smoke, Gordon, Dale Jr, and Jimmy will be leaving with them. Through the last 20 years NASCAR and their TV partners were focusing on chasing money instead of laying the groundwork to see traditional markets through to the next generations and getting good drivers up through their ladder system more quickly. Now NASCAR is in a bad place where they need to convince a generation of distant fans that these drivers they haven't really heard of will produce good racing, provided you can solve the points system they're racing under.

Good luck with that, guys.

Having stuck through the Indycar split, the thing that kept me connected to the series, despite it all, was its traditions. The Indy 500 is the Indy 500 no matter what, because if you've stuck around for 100 years and draw hundreds of thousands even in your worst years, you're doing something right. When the Daytona 500 gives you crapshoot winner Trevor Bayne and commercial-free coverage until-the-next-commercial on TV…that's the kind of "Great American Race" that's showing you the part of America that Some People want to make Great Again.

No thanks. Just show me good, hard racing with few distractions and fewer gimmicks.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

The problem with the Chase itself has been the constant tweaking ("We reserve the right to make changes where we see fit"). We went from 10 to 12 to 10+2 to 16 (four formats) in 10 years. The consistent contrived finales are only a product of Most Extreme Elimination Chase: the only "good" finishes I can remember before it became the raceoff from Cars were 2004 (Busch/JJ/Gordon/Martin/Jr all in it), 2011 (The Smoke show), and maybe 2010.

The tweaking in and of itself wasn't the problem. The problem was that NASCAR had trapped itself into believing that the only possible way that they could improve The Show was through format changes. Had NASCAR been focusing on having a lot of good teams and good drivers, any tweaking they could have done to the championship would have been secondary to the racing. Instead we have the format dictating EVERYTHING, instead of the racing being front and center.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I can't wait to see the gimmicks for next year to compensate for Junyer retiring. I'd watch regularly again if they introduced paintball mode from NASCAR '98.

More stages! Next year the Daytona 500 will be broken up into 200 stages. The driver that leads a stage gets a bonus point, the driver that leads the most stages gets more bonus points, and the winner of the last stage gets the trophy.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The trucks have always been good because the races are short. They're what Cup or NXS racing could be if all the races weren't so long and drawn out.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The stage racing system is a half-solution to the main problem of most of the races being too drat long. NASCAR should consider doing what (V8) Supercars does in Australia. Take the races and break them up into two or three races throughout the weekend, and/or immediate back-to-back races on the same day.

If you have NXS and Cup at Atlanta, for example, you can do NXS Race #1 for 200 miles Saturday morning, qualify Cup immediately after, then go right into NXS Race #2 for 200 miles Saturday afternoon, then have Cup Race #1 in a 100 mile Saturday night "feature race." On Sunday afternoon you have the "main event," with Cup Race #2 for 200 miles, a bonafide "halftime break" of 30-45 minutes for TV and car adjustments, and then Cup Race #3 for the last 200 miles, which would determine the overall winner of the "Atlanta 500." Each race would get full race points toward the season championship, no playoffs needed.

Races at Daytona, Talledega, Charlotte, Bristol, and other historically big tracks can keep one of their races at full distance. So you'll have the Daytona 500 but the summer race will be 400 miles over 3 balls-to-the-wall races. The Coke 600 will remain NASCAR's "endurance" race, but the 500 miler at Charlotte can have the two longest "short" races on the calendar. And so on.\

This needs to happen in the next few years. Society's attention spans aren't long enough for a typical NASCAR race, but I think doing things this way will give viewers more entrance and exit points to follow the series and give fans attending the races (literally) non-stop on-track action.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Peanut President posted:

Bristol's races are only 250 miles long

266½ miles long :eng101:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh you're the guy who came up with the charter system

During the last season or two of Darrel Waltrip's racing career, I remember him being interviewed on pit road about recent changes to NASCAR. I don't recall what he was talking about specifically (COT probably) but I clearly remember him being asked about what he thought the next big future innovation in NASCAR ought to be.

"Franchising." Selling guaranteed starting spots to teams/drivers/owners for the Cup series.

So it's DW's fault.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

I feel like they used to bring 2 compounds to every race up until like the mid 90s or something anyway, and teams could choose which to run. I might be misremembering that or mixing it up with other series though.

As I understand it Goodyear has always had two tire compounds. One lasts until the next pit stop, the other blows apart before the next pit stop.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dentist toy box posted:

Don't Denny and Danica hate each other? Heck doesn't Harvick and Logano hate each other?

Congratulations, you've figured out what makes for good television in the 21st century

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The only good roval track is at New Hampshire, which astute racing nerds will note is not completely contained inside of the oval.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dentist toy box posted:

The Charlotte roval has to be the worst roval in existence, But I mean the race is a guaranteed demolition derby though. Hopefully they'll update the track?

Indeed they are.

https://twitter.com/knighter01/status/867115911081275394

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

If that new map with the tight twisty section is accurate, it'll be a terrible track. Watkins Glen and Sonoma are good fits for NASCAR because of the medium- and high-speed turns and lumbering nature of the cars. I don't see how asking the cars to navigate three increasingly tightening 180s will do any good.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

Honestly, and this is bias, IMS has the best one.

Then again, they actually designed it with high speed F1 cars in mind, then modified it a bit for motorcycles, and now once again for indy cars. It makes use of the front stretch, a little of the short chute between 1 and 2, and that's it for the regular course.

IMS can get away with the track configuration is has because the track is a rectangle on a massive plot of land. The garage facilities are out of the way of the places where they could do some halfway interesting things with the design, like the areas inside of T1 and T4. Even with half of the place unavailable to use because of the golf course, it still manages to be above-average by roval standards because of it.

Cookie-cutter D-ovals are inherently doomed to lovely roval designs due to the pit road configuration and how the infield facilities necessarily take up too much of the usable area. The best they could ever do is to have the oval portion link up to a smaller infield loop, since that's all there is ever room for. Trying to overdo it gets you something like what Charlotte is trying to do inside of turn 1, which just really proves how impossible it is to do something with them.

The only way to have a good roval track is to have a significant portion of it outside of the confines of the oval (New Hampshire) or to design the track/facility with road course considerations in mind from the start. Eurospeedway Lausitz is probably the only track in the world that's got a great road course inside of its oval, because that's how it was built to be.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

kidcoelacanth posted:

The actual most important thing they need to do if they want to keep this thing alive is reduce team costs dramatically, because sponsors are drying up and poo poo keeps getting more expensive.

The biggest thing NASCAR can do in this regard is to reduce the number of races in the schedule. But NASCAR will never do this, because of all that TV money. As a result, more and more teams will struggle to find enough sponsorship to run the full Cup season, and you might get a situation where car counts go down even further.

The NBA is in a similar situation, where there are 20 or 30 games that could be easily cut from the regular schedule. Less wear and tear on players and teams and would make each regular season game more important and valuable, but the NBA gets too much money from all of those pointless games in the second half of the season.

But hey, as long as the executives get more money, who cares about the overall health of the product?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

My dad: "Where's Danica? A lap down? Doesn't she get her lap back at the next caution?"

Me: Explains lucky dog and stage racing

Dad: "That's stupid, they should reset everyone at the end of the stage so she can be on the same lap as everyone else."

Me: "So you'd be okay if someone wins the race by completing a lap or two less than everyone else?"

Dad: pauses "Yeah. It's not fair if someone has bad luck and loses time and needs to change a tire and falls a lap down."

Me: "That's racing. Would it be fair to everyone else if those cars got their mistakes wiped away?"

Dad: "Well it's not fair that slow cars have to go a lap down."

Me: "Then maybe you should root for someone other than Danica."

Commercial break

Dad: "Well at least she does commercials."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

glyph posted:

Am I seeing this right? There are ~140 (of 400) laps to go?

Yup. Lightning/rain delay earlier.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

bonus points for the big races is cool and good imo

Of all the gimmicks in racing, never did I think that NASCAR would be the last to adopt the double-points (or whatever) gimmick.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

skaboomizzy posted:

I know Danica is kind of a special case because of her notoriety, but she's 35 now. Isn't that about when never-was drivers start to get pushed out of Cup rides?

Are there a lot of never-will-be drivers looking for Cup seats that would necessitate pushing Danica out? If one of NASCAR's long-term ills is a depraved development ladder, one of the consequences of that is that the drivers at the top will stay in the series longer than they maybe should.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

"Oh let me tune into the Cup race to kill some time before IndyCar at Detroit."

*Danica spins on her own*

"Whelp."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

That guy who climbed the fence just wanted to show Jimmie how much he loved him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbMH97-pau0&t=2154s

Or maybe he was also prepping for next year's points system. He'd be worth 20 points, at least.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Oh yeah? Then how come they let me in with these guns?

*puts down beer*

*flexes biceps*

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dentist toy box posted:

Yeah remember all those NFL, MLB, NHL, F1 races, NHRA events, Indycar races, and IMSA races that keep getting attacked by ISIS? Me either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0OO91R8oVk

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Is Petty reaching for a gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Norns posted:

But the spirit of the rule was to prevent crews from putting on 3 lugs and letting the car go. A 4 race suspension for something that was a mistake seems harsh.

They gently caress with the rules constantly. Why act like this is the only time it needs to be back and white?

The consequences for that mistake are no different than if such a thing happened deliberately. You have to punish the consequences similarly without regards to intent, otherwise you'll get weird inconsistencies in the rules for being subjective about what the intentions are or may have been.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Locked thread