Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It's better than anything ABC's ever done to promote IndyCars so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

Danica gets a sponsorship lifeboat (I almost typed "love boat" by mistake):

https://twitter.com/Eric_RaceReview/status/831545840787451904

Cool paint scheme.

Trying to find a last minute sponsor to cover so many races must've been like pulling teeth, am I right guys?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Furniture Row Racing cars having trouble passing inspection. Still not out on track.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

What time are the duels?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Like Junior doesn't already lurk here.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Pretty sure hotels are even more expensive in Austin during the USGP.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

DEMAG posted:

BZF delivered! https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/836217278924455936

All hail stage racing and 5 minute clock!

I'm guessing the massive Daytona Day marketing push from Fox had more to do with the increase than anything else.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

The thing about the average NASCAR fan is they lead boring, normal lives while also holding dumb opinions of the sport that they'll gladly share on a whim. Couple this with being an older demographic that doesn't really "get" social media and you have that post.

Sounds a lot like people in this thread. Or just me.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah ChampCar's few oval races were pretty sad.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hey F1 fans loved the quieter engines, right?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

In general racing's just gotten too expensive while stagnating in popularity. Hence the increase in ride buyers across all forms of motorsports.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

400 miles on the road course in stock cars is going to turn it into an endurance race.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://twitter.com/NASFACTS/status/843601007619821568

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dudley posted:

I dunno, it's really just like series like the BTCC that have 3 races, or I guess more like ones that have a main and a sprint race like GP2.

Nascar is just doing them all together rather than a couple of hours or a day apart.

Except nobody gives a poo poo about who won this segment or that segment.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

daslog posted:

It's been proven over and over that NASCAR is out of ideas. Why do we keep watching?

Racing is racing.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Can I get a Chase Elliott action figure in that race suit?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

Hope y'all don't have Spectrum like me

It's too late. We're all on the spectrum.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Elitist Bitch posted:

Lordy, Jenna Fryer is getting shelled like a September callup. I can't even find a link to the article because her timeline has gotten nuked.

E: found it:
http://racing.ap.org/article/column-so-what-alonso-racing-indy-500?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

Perhaps some of the open wheel goons can explain the hate? Objectively she seems to have a good point.

She basically got everythng wrong in the article, for starters.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

She didn't know that the Honda engines in F1 and IndyCars have nothing to do with each other, misstates that Alonso won't do the rookie orientation program, dismisses Alonso because he hasn't won in the last 3 years without considering the job he's done in the shitbox that's the McLaren-Honda, for starters, and she doesn't see to realize that it was McLaren and Alonso who got in touch with IMS about running at Indy, and not they other way around. She's entitled to her opinion, but basically all of her supporting arguments are factually incorrect.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So Larson gets penalized for speeding even though he wasn't actually speeding?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

he's a weird case in that he's incredibly fit, consistently good and has never had a really bad crash

Forgetting this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbkIBWEp91Q

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Douchebag posted:

I want Jr to run one last race in the old DEI Bud scheme, at Daytona in July. That would be cool.

2001 Pepsi 400 scheme please.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm pretty sure the IRL used to draw a bigger crowd than that at Richmond.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

nm

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

financially racist posted:

no. nothing will ever top kansas' roval.

this is seriously a real thing they made.

the real winning move would've been not putting vegas in the chase, keeping new hampshire and using that roval, it's actually good for what it is.

Haha I was going to mention the Kansas roval. I can't believe Grand Am held a race on that thing.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

wicka posted:

I can't blame them. NASCAR struggles to find a middle ground between "no personality" and "violent, childish piece of poo poo." You've got Dale Jr, and

Spencer Gallagher!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

iospace posted:

Wisconsin's racing scene is also very healthy too.

Yes there's been more than a Trickle of good drivers out of Wisconsin.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

He should dump beer into his hat and then chug it. That would make people like him more.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Danica's fine. She's got millions in the bank and is still a celebrity who can make a bit of money doing other non-racing related things..

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Also solves the passing problem. If you want to pass someone, just lift them out of the way.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Proud Christian Mom posted:

even watching yall argue with wicka is better than watching a single lap of NASCAR

Hopefully we're near the end of stage 1.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm going to need some Goody's Headache Powder after reading the last few pages of this thread.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Holy poo poo Danica's bad luck.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I must've missed the debris cautions. I thought in general NASCAR was pretty reasonable in throwing cautions yesterday.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Crazy Jeff Gluck peddling fake news at the failing USA Today (which I never read). Very sad!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Norns posted:

It felt like we got hard racing the entire race. I liked it.

Yep. I was shocked they were racing so hard right out of the gate. Were they afraid the race would get rain shortened? Wish an underdog team would've won the race (although I guess Roush counts as an underdog team these days), but over all pretty pleased with the race.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well the one huge Kenseth fan in my office is going to be really upset.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

exploded mummy posted:

They do that in golf.

NASCAR: It's like golf: but with cars.

Yeah but a mistake from a non-contending offer isn't going to knock somebody out of contention.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So all I need to do to get free hot passes is to be a piece of poo poo troll on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WindyMan posted:

Can I make a pre-emptive suggestion? Any pitstops in OT cannot be for tires. Fuel only. What's the point of strategizing all race (for tires) only for that to get thrown out the window just because of unlucky timing on a late caution?

I dunno. Isn't the intent of G-W-C pretty much to make it a lottery?

• Locked thread