Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
the yospos offsite will be hidden on funny.computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I was always surprised by that dudes timelines because it felt like he was only considering the base forums UX. like what about

* administrative panels
* authN/authZ
* payments
* image hosting
* PMs
* custom CSS for the pos

not to mention it didn't sound like they had any gradual migration plan.

IMO without seeing any of the code I'd rather go about decoupling the database out into its own service. at that point I can recreate pieces of the front end over time while still having a single source of truth.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except that we literally have hundreds of people who have the spare time and interest

i suspect the actual reason it's being done in secret is that lowtax and his boy wonder are ashamed of what yospos/fyad/shsc would bitch about

why is fyad on that list

imo we should have a backup forum setup on something like funny.computer for when the end times come

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

wowwwwww thats soooo surprising

woowwwwwwwwwwww

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

The Management posted:

people seriously underestimate how much work and cost it is to write and maintain software. giving a big wad of cash to a third party is often a much better solution.

my estimate is that a complete, from scratch forum solution will run you around a million dollars and take a year to complete. and then you need to pay for someone that knows how to maintain it and keep it secure and backed up.

for SA's current volume and online storage needs (and considering that those #s are going to go down) i think you can get a forum built that would meet its needs for at most half that, and like somewhere in the 100-300k range. maintenance will kill you, and wherever possible they should lean on well-maintained libraries, frameworks, and services. even then, you'd really need someone who cared enough and knew enough to keep up with what actually mattered, which is definitely not lowtax.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 6, 2017

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

:ironicat:

[in extremely comedic voice] microsoft licensing

there's a difference between charging you out the nose and loving you over a barrel

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

mishaq posted:

fair

both oracle and microsoft are very bad tho

not even close. oracle is the scary story you tell your CIO before bedtime. the fortune 500 is starting too slowly (glacially) move their way off of oracle database, and hopefully there is a contender for ERP in the future that can obliterate whatever revenue stream remained.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

boy I'm going to miss this place when the migration kills it and leaves a half-dozen "classic forum" spin off splinter groups who war amongst themselves in a race to the bottom that ends in someone creating a reddit subforum to scoop up the last of the shitposters.

why doesn't forums.funny.computer work

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so did we ever find out what it cost to run this forum month to month

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

zen death robot posted:

yeah i know the cost

tease

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pram posted:

we're at the death spiral where the lack of activity makes people go elsewhere, decreasing activity further. no new posters are coming in so its all downhill from here

so should we start the offshoot now or wait

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pram posted:

the wife he had the mcmansion/daughter with was #3 i think? his current one is #4

really? i thought there was #1 and #2

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

poty posted:

id buy the forums for like a few k dollars

I'd throw 10k at the taxman for the rights to the forums he can keep the front page

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

zen death robot posted:

he disappeared shocking I know

did you ever see the source

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

he posts once in a while but the whole elixer thing got dropped when it was obvious he wasn't going to be allowed to be radium 3.0

not even a probe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

not like the elixer guy owed the forums anything since he never got paid

can this be confirmed

• Locked thread