Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

angry_keebler posted:

i just like the idea of cool teens on the internet who are looking to buy in to a subscription web forum, but ONLY if it's using a slightly newer software backend

millenials want forums with a social mission that matches their values... theyre looking to post with a purpose

i propose rebranding e/n as an ngo offering assistance to stupid people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i heard the forums db is just one table with one column called freetext

poty
Jun 21, 2008

hmm maybe i was wrong and the elixir rewrite is a good idea after all

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Sweevo posted:

we scared chef fatwood back to snack overflow because nobody liked his six course idea

poty
Jun 21, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

put the archives on novelty grenade-shaped thumb drives autographed by lowtax (first 555 orders get a free moofwear tshirt)

this is a better idea than you probably intended

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The Management posted:

people who store bitfields in databases are spergs that are disturbed by the idea of "wasting" bytes and have a fundamental misunderstanding of databases. database fields should be stored in a way the RDBMS can sort, filter, order, and update on them. bitfields are the opposite of this. and if the DB is going to build an index on the field, which it should if you're selecting on it, it's already going to use much more than a byte per row. bitfields also can't have rational triggers and can't be updated without read-modify-write.

so if you see someone storing bitfields in a database, piss in their coffee

but thats what i do when i like somebody????

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i was just looking up charlie brooker the showrunner and writer for black mirror and a great brit comedian and it turns out he started by writing some comic about videogames in some lovely magazine in the 90s. and i thought wow this could have lowtax

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i like sa keep up the good work guys

poty
Jun 21, 2008

maybe im old and i dont understand new things but to me discord is a 1-to-1 irc replacement and comparing it to a forum is like apples to oranges

poty
Jun 21, 2008

surely it had value for the resume of the devs as making a usable app out of a vbulletin forum is unironically a feat of engineering up there with the space shuttle

poty fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 7, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

they should get the awful.app guy or gal (#feminism) working on the new forums

poty
Jun 21, 2008

id buy the forums for like a few k dollars

poty
Jun 21, 2008