Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just slap a proxy in front of the old servers.

for the forum index, it shows the forum index using some hot new poo poo. for everything else, it passes through to the old servers.
then, change it so that new thread creation (and displaying those new threads) goes to your new version, while old threads get proxied through to the old servers.
then, make your new version support pms and the store and all the other random poo poo people think they need
then, lock all the old megathreads that didn't naturally die while you were working on the random poo poo

bam, forums migrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Management posted:

my estimate is that a complete, from scratch forum solution will run you around a million dollars and take a year to complete.

so like, 4-6 developers + support staff?

i guess that might get you to v1 in a year, if you're lucky

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
everyone knows the colon is the source of all emoticons, and also posts

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you use save corruption to get a thread state of 7, you can trigger an easter egg that jumps you straight to the end credits

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Linguica posted:

yeah I genuinely do not understand how people can find the reddit comment sections usable / enjoyable, I feel like their brains must be fundamentally different from mine somehow

getting upvoted is essentially the most basic form of validation there is. "someone liked a thing I said".

no-one actually reads the comments, it's all shouting into the void

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

hifi posted:

you can get upvoted for comments though

yeah, that's why people keep shouting

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
discord's gonna gradually turn to poo poo as they decide to monetize it more and more.

irc is run by wierdos who will keep it going forever for literally nothing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zen death robot posted:

a mobile site that works which is 100% necessary in 2012

some suckers already did an app for free though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lol if you think you'll be able to afford real meat and not just the synthetic stuff that tastes vaguely like cardboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Progressive JPEG posted:

Who the hell is going to sign up for a new something awful forums account in 2017?

dare

• Locked thread