Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
LEARN YOURSELF SOME ERLANG ELIXIR FOR MAKE GREAT JUSTICE!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
for my first functional language programming project, i will make a forum. and this will be easy and only take a couple weeks. because its a functional paradigm you see. its pure and i just have to describe the intended end state. computer *bleep yes captain* make forum

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i voted this thread 5 because nothing makes me laugh harder than forum rewrites. we're on number two now, third times a charm!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

The original idea was just to buy xenforo to get something that was actively maintained. That would have been a much more sane choice.

haha lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kickplarper

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you come in from the cat thread or something?

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i am here to lol

Lowtax posted:

The dude who was going to rewrite them from scratch has been swamped with work and hasn't been progressing as much as he initially claimed, so right now I'm talking to the Xenforo people about a custom migration to their platform.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is kickplarper still happening though

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no lowtax said he was a big deal coder so this was really more like noblesse oblige

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i can have this forum done in lisp in a week, two tops

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

I just want to be clear that I got quite far in the process of building the new forums before my personal situation/life changed quite a bit in ways I couldn't predict. I disagree with the people who say it isn't possible for one person to do the work, but I can't be that person anymore. Sorry!

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

Yeah, it's not that it's half-baked (the parts I finished were production quality) but I doubt it would be very useful to anyone at this moment, since it's basically half a forum. I haven't given up on the project, and I think Lowtax is still on board with using our own software if it becomes stable at some point in the future. It just will probably take too long at this point, and as Lowtax has mentioned there are reasons to want to migrate off of the current software in the near term.

another successful goon proujekect

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

im really getting a lot of laughs out of these forums announcements where he tries to pretend it's 1999 again and everyone is dying for a mood house sequel.

2x the monkey and 4x the cheese

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a DOOM forum

pram
Jun 10, 2001
someone mentioned booleans in the discussion area on the blog re: him explaining his retarded bitfield poo poo on TEAMBERRY DOT COM or whatever

he basically was like 'LOL i bet youre storing the string 'false' in the DB get outta here ya fuckin noob'

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no one cares

pram
Jun 10, 2001

dead gay son posted:

help computer

pram
Jun 10, 2001

med school head posted:

we use jira, confluence, and bitbucket and they all blow rear end (esp the first two)

bitbucket is straight up a joke. cant search code in tyool 2017 lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001

yellow borders posted:

how does it feel to get epically loving owned by a high level troll lord

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

remember when the rewrite was going to use markdown instead of bbcode, because reasons?

it was going to be compatible with every formatting syntax known to man because of the sheer power of functional programming

pram
Jun 10, 2001
which, i might add, was production ready. believe me. we're talking big league production. but my life is a mess. sad!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im gay

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

it was an experimental forums/imageboard pram was running for a little while

I presume he didn't want to keep hardening it against yospos penetration testing

that wasnt my site being 'penetration tested' it was pleasure kevins lol

the source is all here i just stopped working on it shrug

https://github.com/eirka

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i even wrote a packer and ansible installer for it lol

https://github.com/eirka/eirka-provision/blob/master/eirka.json
https://github.com/eirka/eirka-provision/blob/master/base.yml

pram
Jun 10, 2001

redleader posted:

for real though, what are the technical challenges associated with a rewrite? i'm looking for purely technical reasons, not things like "it will inevitably be a buggy and feature-poor waste of time". why is a forum so hard to make?

its just tedious implementing all the individual features and then fixing the bugs. a forum is deceptively simple because its superficially just a CRUD application, until you realize the massive surface area. each little bullshit feature requires its own controller, model, template, etc

by virtue of being a solo project it would never have the man hours behind it even 'bad' forum software has. years of user complaints and bug fixes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually done. you just cant see it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no he can only find programmers who will write new forums, not basic ETL

pram
Jun 10, 2001
esoteric programming

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:smug:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the site is crazy dead, its no joke. yospos was never this slow even a year ago

pram
Jun 10, 2001
we're at the death spiral where the lack of activity makes people go elsewhere, decreasing activity further. no new posters are coming in so its all downhill from here

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tumblrs nested comments are insanely bad. it doesnt work on the default layout, and it definitely doesnt work on whatever infantile theme the moronic blog youre reading is using

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hows kickparper coming

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hell, same

pram
Jun 10, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

"have u read gently caress you and die. real funny." - kid on schoolbus in 4th grade

pram
Jun 10, 2001

emoji posted:

I'm Jon Hendren's 'really good' GED score and demanding job that precludes making 5 posts per day on a forum but allows 24/7 Twitter.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well now that the obituary has been written this place feels even more depressing. for the win

pram
Jun 10, 2001

AWWNAW posted:

posting on a dead forum in a thread about dead forum in a geek squad sub forum

:q:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have seen lambda run out of capacity. as in all your functions just straight up fail with an error message. its pretty epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the site is dying because its slow and boring not because lowtax checks in every 5 months

• Locked thread