Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

cis autodrag posted:

there was a screenshot of like 6 hyperlinks on a page with no styling whatsoever which he claimed was proof that he was 80% done with the backend.

new forums were supposed to use markdown but also still be compatible with old bbcode and sa custom smilies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
search is bad because there wasn't any proper handling of metadata so old-old search was a raw plaintext against the entire db. choochachako did a bunch of improvements to it so you can make some metadata searches like userid. it's still not up to par with a proper implementation of a modern search algorithm

pms have no proper pagination in the UI like posts do so the query either loads your entire pm box or it loads zdr's hacked fix of only the first 50

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

a feature that would take any competent web developer literally minutes to implement.

you're more than welcome to volunteer

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

lmao. I don't do free work for other people's businesses.

now you get it

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

pram posted:

is kickplarper still happening though

my $0.02 speculation is this: goon saw the initial call for xenforo mod programmers from lowtax on twitter, thought "i can do this better" and told lowtax he'd rewrite from scratch to guarantee foward/backwards compatibility. knocked out a rough prototype in elixir and said, "ok here's the start now pay me" and lowtax never got the kickparper off the ground because reasons. no money = no codemonkey = no new forums. I'm betting new-radium figured this was his ticket to kjstumpfdom and a new job out of his current <job-he-hates>.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

did we establish whether lowtax actually paid this guy?

doubtful

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

vodkat posted:

do we really need a new forum?

yes. the current forums is a boat anchor tied to the (now virtual) machines and is nearly impossible to patch or maintain

infernal machines posted:

i'm sure zdr will keep this rickety shitbarge afloat indefinitely

even ZDR has limits

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I still dont get what the difficulty is with porting the archives. like whats the big deal, that seems like maybe the most trivial part of the entire concept of launching on a new platform. i dont know poo poo about poo poo, help.

iirc it's a combination of archived post syntax being scattered across lots of incremental changes, so a straight import would result in a ton of unreadable garbage

mlyp

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

seems like something that could be incrementally fixed and wouldn't block a migration.

agreed, but then again

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
can't "quote" archived posts that are stored on a separate db system that doesn't support data extraction into the live forums db

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

cis autodrag posted:

i miss when you were a mod

:same:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
the office closed years ago, and he's probably scraping by at this point, but he's clearly not hurting enough to need regular employment.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
rule 36 get out

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

wait are we talking about Lowtax again

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Smythe posted:

also trey and matt are good. they made that piece of poo poo show every week for 99999 years and a hit broadway musicals. lol. yea, theyre bad? nice goonsay you loving bitch.

trey and matt are dedicated to their work but they hold some awfully lovely views and they encourage bullshit "truth is in the middle" in everything they do. Can't fault their comedy chops tho

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rear end posted:

Nobody's gonna pay $10 to set up a bot account. That's the beauty of it.

except for yospos

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

pram posted:

where is elixir titan guy

he posts once in a while but the whole elixer thing got dropped when it was obvious he wasn't going to be allowed to be radium 3.0

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FamDav posted:

not even a probe

not like the elixer guy owed the forums anything since he never got paid

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

zen death robot posted:

he had offered to do it for free, which should have been the first sign that it wasn't gonna happen

the first taste is free. that's how freemium works.

code:
| gender             | enum('M','F','U')    | NO   |     | U                   |                |
it's u - the gender is u

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm a porpoise

| NO | | U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

eschaton posted:

who was it, since the "I'm the new forums dude" account was a cover for them?

they're welcome to out themselves if they feel like it but don't hold your breath

• Locked thread