Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

I'm not really bothering with explicit sprints since the amount of time I can spend on it week to week is highly variable. As I said, hoping to have everything ready about 3 months from now, and then we'll see how Lowtax wants to do it in terms of the migration.

Well that was in October and now it's February. Think everything is ready yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

digging through that thread it sounds like they don't even have innodb going yet lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

nah its some new guy doing it in elixir and he basically handwaved away everyone's questions about how he was going to stick to a schedule when he isn't doing it in public and no one can hold him accountable. and now he's 10xd himself past his own deadline.

that and he acted like 3 months to write a replacement by himself was realistic.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

I remember some yosposter made a 4chon clone, we should just use that imo

the bittorrent people made a pretty decent SA clone when the barnyard went away

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qntm posted:

did they also clone the :10bux: barrier and the mods

no, but a lot of paranoia

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

does anyone have that system diagram from years of all the hardware the forums and archives were running on? pretty sure this actually exists and i'm not just hallucinating it.

I remember radium posting it. There was also once a picture of a van full of servers when the forums migrated from New Orleans after Katrina.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Elixer? I hardly know her!

Seriously, what is this... coffeescript for erlang? lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

no, because it doesn't compile to erlang the language, it targets the erlang VM. (I have a feeling I'm slightly wrong about this but that's more or less the idea).

i meant more in the sense of "erlang, but for people who would rather be writing ruby"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The original idea was just to buy xenforo to get something that was actively maintained. That would have been a much more sane choice.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lets you know when your buddies are online

:jackbud:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

shaggarHasArrived.jif

Just start a new ASP.NET MVC solution in Visual Studio, Richard.

and spend half your time fighting with entity framework

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

once you use the php refactoring tool "rm" you might as well not reimplement the same poo poo in php

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dealing with legacy software sucks. especially when your coworkers are writing brand new legacy software

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

reddit looks like a relic and yet people still post on it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

jeff atwood was gonna save us and you all drove him away and now look at us :cry:

he PMed me and said that the elixer rewrite made no sense and xenforo was the way to go

guess he isn't always wrong

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

did this really happen

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eric posted:

Is that the guy that was banned after he told lowtax it would cost at least tens of thousands to fix the forums?

don't think so

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think jef fatwood is banned, we just scared him off with our unrelenting hostility

ya, he won't come back :(

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you do not want to know what goes into web-facing mumps, let me tell you.

just rewrite this poo poo in asp.net mvc and be done with it.

shaggar alt spotted

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MUMPS is killing US veterans and this article is aiding and abetting!![edit]
Goddamnit, this article is written POV, probably by some clowns who know only MUMPS and are desparately afraid that their stinking, rotten, filthy little jobs, delaying care to military veterans with their goddamn outdated technology, might be lost. Men and women are returning burned and blasted to poo poo and sit and rot in hallways for "paperwork" to catch up with them.

Where does this paperwork come from? Why is it late?

This article DOES make it clear where it comes from and why it is late. A bunch of contemptible little programmers who care only about their cozy comfortable jobs actually believe the ABSURD claims in this article.

I've removed one such claim: it was logically contradictory, and the person, probably a MUMPS hotshot, who posted it didn't see the logical contradiction because he or she is STUPID. It literally claimed that "structured programming" reduces development time AND that it makes programs difficult to debug.

Hey, Ace. Hey Hot Dog, what the HELL do you think you're claiming?! That you're done developing when you stop typing the code?

My uncle, a personal physician of Lyndon Johnson, is probably DEAD because of MUMPS. He died alone in a military hospital at the age of 78 because Job One in an organization with dysfunctional-dogshit computer systems is the fascinating "intellectual challenge" that paperwork presents, which health "care" bureaucrats seem today to prefer to looking after men and women who've served their country.

As I have posted, last month the OIG of the Veterans Administration has reported serious problems of the type that emerge from clownish data systems celebrated by buffoons for their wonderful GoTo statements, their fascinating limits on string length, and overall, their replacement of transparency by an opacity, that allows data processing bureaucrats, most of whom with serious addictions, usually to food, to sit on their fat asses "thinking" about stupid things.

The article violates wikipedia NPOV and it needs to be rewritten from top to bottom. NPOV is NOT NOT NOT agreement with the local boys who colonize an article. MUMPS is a dysfunctional system: this is FACT.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol, where is this from?

the wikipedia talk page on mumps

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the highest praise for stack overflow when it came out was "you can't even tell it's an asp.net page". because all of them are usually garbage. still holds true.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Is it still even being worked on? Who knows?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The forums work just fine for me.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

just slap a proxy in front of the old servers.

for the forum index, it shows the forum index using some hot new poo poo. for everything else, it passes through to the old servers.
then, change it so that new thread creation (and displaying those new threads) goes to your new version, while old threads get proxied through to the old servers.
then, make your new version support pms and the store and all the other random poo poo people think they need
then, lock all the old megathreads that didn't naturally die while you were working on the random poo poo

bam, forums migrated

Yep. And then once you have working software you can work on migrating the old threads to the new schema.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah i don't want to see the forums source code anyways

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except that we literally have hundreds of people who have the spare time and interest

we said the same thing about zybourne clock

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we don't know that elixer dude ever stopped.

we do know that he stopped posting about his rewrite tho.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, yeah, it seems a 100% sensible thing to do and the thread was rather of the opinion that it was not going to happen

hopefully it pans out well but who knows v:shobon:v

it'll be _fine_

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just want to be able to search all the archived threads.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

another successful goon proujekect

what a boob

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

I'm confused about why migrating posts is such a big deal. write a script to query the posts, transform the tags in them, dump them into a transaction file in the sql format of the new forum, and do a batch insert when done. writing the script takes effort, obviously, but it's hardly insurmountable.

xenforo probably charges by the post or something

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

so tl;dr:

i will write a commercial grade forums solution, from scratch, in less than a year, by myself

so for personal reasons, i'll have to bail on this totally 90% completed project, no you can't see the code

whoever could have seen this coming? no one, probably

the best part is when he said that the code that he did write is "production ready"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

put the archives on novelty grenade-shaped thumb drives autographed by lowtax (first 555 orders get a free moofwear tshirt)

who knows. lowtax has seemingly always been of the thought that SA is way too much of a special-snowflake for ANYTHING off the shelf, regardless of what is task needs to be accomplished. why was he working on having a custom kickstarter thing instead of just, oh i don't know, using kickstarter or gofundme or whatever other crowdfunding/fundraising sites out there?

I assume he wants to tie it in to the forums something. Like with the dumb yellow custom title thing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

too bad free, well tested forums software doesn't exist

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

vodkat posted:

do we really need a new forum?

no

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh no blimp issue posted:

i can do it for £30k in 6 months

you really don't want to use those cut rate european programmers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

okay why the gently caress is lowtax worrying about all the archived posts? lol if you read threads, :justpost: and the library of congress will pick up the slack anyway

burn it all and start afresh. it'll make you feel young, as when the world was new

there's some good poo poo in there if you look hard enough

none of your posts tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

OWLS! posted:

xenforo is when the lead dev of vbulletin has a hissy fit and does it RIGHT THIS TIME DAMMIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A&hd=1

• Locked thread