Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seriously. The official docs aren't very clear, but I've (heh) only spent like 12 hours trying to figure out how to build layouts. Last I touched Magento was 1.x and I don't recall it being this bad.

Like, there is a million different caches going on that block things instructed in the docs from working, but then if you go disable those caches, set client-side LESS compilation (why isn't this done by default when you turn on developer mode?!?! what does developer mode even do?), the whole thing loads so slowly (1+ minute on a blank theme to load on a dedicated server) that you can't actually get any work done. Even after disabling 10+ caches it still appears that there are manual tasks required in order to do an F5 and see results.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Is there an actual workflow for building Magento2 themes or do I just need to give up and go buy one and slap my logo on it. I was assuming this entire layout would take 12 hours and I'm 12 hours in just trying to figure out why CSS styles I set don't get applied, even while I follow the docs verbatim. Like I literally just want to change the header background color and I can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

Magento has always sucked rear end because of that

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's a lot of reasons that I won't take Magento work except to transition it to another platform, and this is certainly one of them. I think only NetSuite is the only other "won't touch any more" platform for me.

It's probably no help to you but I remember hitting this last time I had to do Magento custom dev:
https://code.tutsplus.com/articles/magento-theme-development-an-introduction--cms-21036

But that was before LESS and all that other mustache coder stuff gradually took over front-end work making it an impossible snarl of weirdass js libraries.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
I work for a firm that has built a site from the ground-up using Magento 2 for a medium-tier (~30 person, 5 physical location) business that's been in production for about 6 months, and the best advice I can possibly hope to offer you, is don't loving use Magento 2.

Trust me, it isn't just horrible for design. It's horrible for everything.

The official documentation will have entire pages on features that don't exist, and it seems like the various parts of the dev team weren't even aware of one another. The disconnect between the different parts of the app are arbitrary. The LESS integration is horrible, and is being scrapped in favor of SASS in a couple of versions anyway, which will probably end up worse. The seemingly arbitrary integration of Knockout.js and its bizarre block XML hooks will leave you scratching your head. Templates can both reside in the design folder and inside individual module folders, which is theoretically better, except that every module developer decides differently and you end up with a messier code base. Production deployments are slow and painful, and even if you follow Magento's exact suggested procedures, it's still delicate and messy. Upgrade scripts are actually more disorganized than 1.x, and pretend to be migrations in the sense that the files are structured like migrations, but don't actually offer any of the features or benefits. Overall everything except the slightly cleaner code from PSR-4 autoloading and dependency injection just isn't loving worth it. :suicide:

Use Magento 1.9, get a cheapo full page cache module, and seriously don't look back.

Alternatively, don't use Magento and use Oscar which is tits. Or put a little extra effort in to building something with Laravel Spark. Depending on the scope of your project, it may fit better.

• Locked thread