Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To the US mil posters:

I've been lurking a lot here, and it's really incredible how much the US military lower ranks resemble a BDSM game focused mainly on cigarette butts and facial hair. Also, wasting money.

If you were the SecDef, or whoever has the real pull in these matters, what would you do to reform the military? Where would you start, and to what end( Making soldiers lives easier? Increase efficiency? Screw with people who deserve it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The marines are redundant. Honestly the only reason they exist today is the american populace loves marines. There's no reason to have them in a modern context, because we do not need special soldiers that are used to sailing ships and boarding other ones to kill pirates and other country marines.

Similarly, the army air corps should just be a part of the army. There is no good reason for a separate air force either.

So eliminate the MC as a branch of service, roll the remaining people into either the army or the navy. Roll the AF entirely back into the army.

Because it would help remove competition between branches?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its not about competition. It's excessive redundancy with massive overlap in jobs.

Oh, okay. I actually heard some people make the argument that competition between the branches is healthy, but even a cursory examination of military history seems to poke holes in that( all the militaries in WW2 largely fell victim to this, as I understand it).

Very interesting stuff. Wouldn't singing, cleaning, yard work and other chores normally be considered a good tool for building discipline?

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Rat posted:

Yeah, seeing families crying because they were on the wrong side of a Sunni/Shia drive by shooting and their dad/brother/etc just died was way worse than just bad guys dying.

The 'bad guy' thing stands out. Did you think the opposing forces were bad guys because of a belief in the mission, or was it just doing your job and getting back at the people who shot at your side? What ratio of genuine enthusiasm for winning the war to conditioning/protecting your buddies( or all three) did those of you who were deployed have?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

Getting into the morality of armed conflict is tedious and annoying. Everybody knows that the USA is on God's side, anyway

I don't think I was :confused:

I hang out a lot in the milhist thread, and my experience at my history courses has been that soldiers in the past used to get a lot more worked up over the political arguments for war( militarized societies and their indoctrination helped a lot with this), but nowadays there seems to be some ridicule towards people who really believe in their mission. I was just curious what your personal experiences are, and to what degree it depends on the individual mission.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The frequency of fuel dumping sounds insane. Has anyone in the military calculated the eventual environmental consequence of navy/af ops? poo poo, if nothing else you can't recruit more military from a nation of malnourished stunties.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Godholio posted:

had a guy on a no-alcohol order leave town, get hammered and hailed a cab with his loving face (not allowed to reenlist)

Why are no-alcohol orders even a thing? I mean, it's 2017, we know alcoholism is a disease, if a person starts drinking to excess and clearly doesn't understand why they are not able to stop, no amount of orders will help, because they're trying to satisfy an urge beyond their conscious control.

What do the marines( or all of the US branches) do if they suspect they're dealing with an alcoholic? I'd have just discharged them immediately or mandated AA, no amount of discipline or hazing will help anyway.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Most of the military are alcoholics.

I doubt that, at least if we go by the terminology that separates between alcoholic and problem drinker. An alcoholic has a physical allergy that means that every time they take one drink, their body will immediately and violently crave more drinks until they lose consciousness, and if put under pressure, they will seek out alcohol to relieve the stress. They rarely keep high-risk, high responsibility jobs for long.

A problem drinker, sometimes called(erroneously imho) a functioning alcoholic, will drink way too much at all hours, but will put off the job/life-destroying benders till they have free time to waste.

E: though I will agree that armed forces everywhere has high numbers of real alcoholics, simply because they take in people young who have yet to hit their bottom and realize their problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

You're describing the alcoholism that gets people killed. Most of the military falls in to the legal definition of "Mild Alcohol Use Disorder." Everyone I knew were very functional drunks.

Allright, cool. English isn't my first language, so maybe the terminology is off.

E:

Does any U.S.AF material stand out to you as particularly good? Is there a car, gun, tank, plane etc. you'd vote to keep if you were in charge of procurement?

• Locked thread