Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

They’ve also already done “Bart/homer get a substitute son/dad and the other gets jealous” at least once before but probably ten times

It’s basically what that episode where Bart gets a “big brother” was about.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Making a character a furry is worse than making them a shallow stereotype of their race imho

Do people still care about furries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, the low 10s seasons had the odd solid gag, but none hit the heights or layers that the classic seasons did.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The "Lisa tries to grandstand and it backfires" aspect of it is also basically a repeat of a much better joke from the football one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That sure is a take. I guess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I was struck by how bougie the Simpsons have become

It's probably been said a million times before, but The Simpsons went from a show that thumbed its nose at the establishment, to being around long enough to become part of it, and responded to that in the most disappointing way possible.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is this a high point or a low point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdntmGp7lO4

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

finalellipsis posted:

also that one with Sacha Baron Cohen guest starring was insanely unfunny

So, business as usual?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I started watching the Simpsons from S1, and I noticed how it feels like the older episodes feel like they are not trying so hard to be funny. They just are.

I realized in the Tell-Tale Head after Rev. Lovejoy gives his sermon on the evils of gambling, and as the Simpsons are leaving church, you see all the signs for Monte Carlo night and bingo.

Compare to modern Simpsons, where Martin is hanging on Kearny's laundry line for some reason.

It feels like someone trying too hard to be funny, and so they're doing something that's easily identified as wacky. But it's not funny in context. It has no bite or wit.

Classic Simpsons, when they had really hit their stride had a lot of effort put into it though. Each joke went through quite a few sets of eyes and were tweaked, and often were part of a stack of jokes that built off of each other. It's also how you get such a high ratio of jokes and gags condensed into each episode - but because each one usually builds into the next, it seems organic and unforced.

The SuperEyepatchWolf video that we've all probably seen by now did a great breakdown of the malicious streetsweeper joke from Bart Sells His Soul as an exemplar of this. Every joke in that segment beautifully builds off the last, and it forms a self-contained mini-story in just a few seconds.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I like season 1 for different reasons than the later stuff but I still like. Definitely a few stinkers though, like the babysitter bandit episode.

Yeah, that episode is, IMO, the first genuinely horrible episode from the Simpsons. I can't even remember any jokes from that episode because what is there to laugh at?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

S1 Simpsons is rough but it's infinitely more watchable than the last seventeen years of the show.

Yeah, in the overall season-by-season rankings, S1 would probably now end up somewhere in the lower end of the top half.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looking back, it's definitely one of the earlier glimpses of Jerk-rear end Homer.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Lisa the Simpson

This episode is perfectly cromulent and you're out of your mind.

poo poo, even the musical clip-show episode has that Paint Your Wagon bit.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 27, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I once had a very vivid dream where I was watching a new Simpsons episode. The kids were on a field trip at some sort of canyon. Bart pulled out a dodgeball and whipped it at Nelson, smacking him in the head. It went into Nelson's head through his ear and pushed his brain out of his other ear, in a goofy cartoonish way. Nelson's brain started bouncing around and the kids started kicking it around as if it was the dodgeball. "Ouch, my brain! I need that to think!", Nelson said. The brain got kicked into the canyon and it bounced out of sight. Skinner approached Bart and said "I hope you're happy young man, Nelson lost his brain AND we need a new dodgeball."

I woke up questioning if it was real for a bit. I mean, they've done equally weird stuff.

The worst part is that I could actually picture every single part of that in my mind's eye.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yep. And then on the syndicated rerun we got the Northern Kentucky version. It was the last really good gag on the last really good episode (which was also the only really good episode of that season).

We got "Northern Kentucky" in New Zealand when it first aired. I honestly didn't even realise there were other versions until a few years ago.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress's sake. The last two pages of this thread is the lowest point of the Simpsons.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ugh, gently caress ooooffffffff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Komm, Susser Tod plays as a group of Hans Molemen fly around turning the residents of Springfield into primordial goop.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 20, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah seriously, the episode goes out of its way to highlight just how ridiculous he is being, and constantly calls him a loving idiot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

These posts made me remember a post-decline episode of the show that was wildly transphobic even when it aired - iirc the plot was something about the school becoming gendered, like splitting the students into girls and boys? I think Lisa dresses as a boy or something.
Anyway all I remember about this episode is that Nelson(?) drops the T-slur and I looked at my TV like :stare:. Swear to god, he points at someone and goes “haha, they’re a t*****”. What the gently caress?

e: it was this episode (sorry linking on mobile): https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Girls_Just_Want_to_Have_Sums

Jesus loving christ, everything I find about this episode is infuriating.

I teach at a girls' school, and this part honestly loving pissed me off as well.

quote:

The next day, Otto drops off the girls at their school, and then he switches the radio to rock music, and releases the boys from their cage in the bus, so they can attend their school. Lisa seems to feel right at home in the girl-friendly school, with the fountains, paintings, pink paint and all. She attends math class, which will be taught by the new principal herself. However, instead of the usual number-crunching or the like, she starts speaking about the philosophy and magic in math. While the other girls enjoy it, Lisa asks whether they will get down to doing problems, to which the principal replies that is how boys look at math. Disillusioned by this pro-female bias toward one of her favorite subjects, Lisa walks out and gets into the boys' school compound. She peeps into one of the classrooms and sees a math class in session, where actual, accurate math is being taught (exactly how she likes it). She is caught by Skinner, now an assistant to Groundskeeper Willie and told to leave.

It makes me want to drag the writer by his face from class to class in the maths department, while repeatedly shouting "gently caress you" into his ear.

At my previous school, my classes had a high proportion of lgbt kids opting to come to me, and I saw and policed a lot of the poo poo they had to put up with.

gently caress this loving episode, and gently caress this show.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 2, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Look, I'm sorry, I just saw red there, but this poo poo is just infuriating on so many levels.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nah, it's honestly appropriate to get that angry with the combination of the Simpsons turning into the sort of garbage it used the mock and the bullshit that LGBT students have to deal with. Rant on.

It just really makes me so loving angry to see this sort of poo poo normalised, especially by a show with the audience and reach that the Simpsons has.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

I found a clip. All the comments seem to believe this is exactly what schools and universities are like now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64PKoAiWhjE&t=92s

Lisa mucks up the problem at the end anyway? Did the writers make a mistake or is the joke that Lisa is actually worse at maths than the boys

I teach girls who are only a few years older than Lisa and Bart's canonical age, in English, Social Studies and Media Studies. Like yeah, we try to make the content relevant to their interests, but how loving dense and disconnected from the realities of teaching in the coal face to think that teaching girls is about feelings and poo poo?

In Social Studies, we've discussed poo poo like totalitarianism, genocide, things of that nature.

In English, one year group is looking at NZ and Pacific Island literature. The exemplar we're working through has involved frank discussions about the racism faced by Polynesians in New Zealand, the history of gender diversity in the Pacific Islands*, and New Zealand's own brutal colonial history in Samoa.

In Media Studies (the girls are much older, like 17 and 18 years-old), since we look at dystopian science fiction for the genre study, we discuss stuff like Randian objectivism in the context of Snowpiercer, the causes behind the #metoo movement and male entitlement to female bodies in Mad Max: Fury Road, as well as concepts like Foucault's Biopower and Mbembe's Necropolitics (and by extension the state of injury).

When selecting texts and content, like yeah, I do try to emphasise texts in which girls and women are strongly represented (a couple of years ago, I did contemporary Hollywood Action films for the genre study, going from Commando, Predator, Terminator 2, Hanna, Mad Max: Fury Road and Captain Marvel as a discussion point of the evolving role of women from almost superfluous support characters to the main character, but they struggled with Commando and Predator). At no point does any lesson resemble any of that poo poo.

By the way, have I mentioned that my senior class was one of the best performing classes in the school last year in the examinations?

*While we're a Catholic school and to an extent, we are tied to Catholic doctrine, I also work with people who openly wear pride flags, the other Media Studies teacher (who also does Religious Education as her primary subject) has a massive "This room is LGBTQ+ friendly" sign in her classroom, I've had girls come out to me as lesbian or trans whom I've supported in my capacity as their form class teacher, and the PE Department has a massive display in their area of prominent New Zealand women athletes from past and present, including Laurel Hubbard, who is a trans woman. The RE department is also basically like "they wouldn't be gay or trans or however else it is that they identify as, if God didn't create them that way, and heck, who are we to judge his plan for them, right?" so I guess that's not too bad.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 2, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

^What the gently caress indeed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Where?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But what if we add ninjas?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just said I was reminded of that ben garrison comic on the rumors about matt groening, not endorsing the guy. Everyone knows he's a fascist shitbag. Yall just being tedious.
Meanwhile if i bring up the fact 300 is racist colorist propaganda 300 white goons show up to chase me off lol

Do you have to make everything about racism?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sorry i'm always playing the "race card" for some reason..... 🤔🤔🤔 hmmmmmmmm

Speaking of clueless white dudes and low points, that Precious Simpsons parody making it through the writer's room was pretty astounding

You came in here, posted a cartoon by a fascist shitbag white supremacist, and then you turn around and start crying racism. Like, get over yourself, mate.

The gently caress does Frank Miller even have to do with the Simpsons to begin with, for gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 20, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yall are seriously losing it lmao

I doubt you ever had it to begin with, champ.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That poo poo is just a special kind of mean-spirited. Just gently caress off, Simpsons.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

To be fair, fried chicken is sort of a recurring plot point in Precious so that’s not the most egregious thing

Though it’s like trying to make a parody of those Nigerian schoolgirls being kidnapped or something, it’s punching way, way down.

It's clearly used as a fat joke at Gabourey Sidibe's expense, and honestly, I'm going to go ahead and assume the worst because of how loving mean-spirited and lovely that entire sequence is.

It ends with another crack at her appearance as well, because apparently the people working on the Simpsons are all the peak of human perfection, right? "Hahaha, you fat little bitch, your career's going to be poo poo because you're a fatty fat fat fat fat fat fat." Go gently caress yourselves.

And Sidibe's done alright for herself. Not exactly leading roles, but she's been working regularly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WeaponX posted:

It’s based on how Mo’Nique’s character speaks to Precious in the film and that much is accurate but like someone else already said, it’s not a question of if you can parody but if you should and are you capable of doing something clever or worthwhile. The Simpsons writing team at this point are not.

Do you honestly think that having a character basically shout "you're fat and your career will be poo poo because you're fat" at an actress who's just starting out is anything other than mean-spiritedness? gently caress, do you think those shitheads even deserve the benefit of the doubt? "Good luck securing another role unless George Lucas needs another Death Star." gently caress off.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait, are they having Morrissey guest star? Is this a joke? April Fools was 2 weeks ago, for gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Third Reich.

At least the Third Reich ended after a while.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Willatron posted:

I like Rick and Morty, it is a generally very funny show. When the fan base got infested with insufferable assholes I stopped interacting with the fan base and continued enjoying the funny science man show.

I get that it’s a genuine case of #notallfans, but I’m sure you can see why people might also assume the worst as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

multijoe posted:

Very popular with action anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYYXfLdpuds

Absolutely disgusting

Goddamn, everything about Jiren is so loving boring, and he's not even a real antagonist. He's just a dude, who's strong, who's become so strong without ever really getting the point of teamwork, until he's beaten by Goku, Vegeta, Frieza and 17 using teamwork.

And he looks like the Binding of Isaac character, but all swole.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

One of the reasons why I checked out of the Star Trek thread in TVIV several incarnations ago. The endless whining and bitching and moaning gets really loving tedious.

That plus the endless parroting of :aatrek:'s nebulous "good Trek" and "bad Trek" poo poo even after that piece of poo poo got exposed as a nonce. The guy also enjoys loving children, I think his tastes in general should very much be in question, rather than the yardstick.*

*I have no idea if they still do this poo poo. Like I said, that's the point where I unsubscribed and haven't looked back since.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

...do we ever hear of film execs doing anything good? Ever?

Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, where the original ending was deemed a bit poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do wonder what Japanese audiences think of modern day Crayon Shin Chan compared to the early seasons.

poo poo, is that still on?

I don't know how comparable it is, but I remember being really put off by the changes that happened to Doraemon, where the animation was way too smooth, and the voice cast had changed wholesale due to the original actors all retiring together as a group after about two or three decades in the roles.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Lisa's babysitting was the first episode I thought "this was bad?" to myself and I'm always surprised it was a season 8. That said it still had some good bits

It's probably on the low end of the gimmicky episodes that were starting to become more noticeable in season 8. For all the good and memorable bits and quotes the episode had, my god, they made Bart just unreasonably insufferable in that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCssEI2fBo