Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When they released that VR game where you can gently caress marge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Oh I am, am I? Is that what you think? Well if that is what you think, I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Every Simpsons episode has happened at least twice in the time it's been on the air

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Simpsons voice actors get $300,000 to $400,000 per episode

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TwoStepBoog posted:

lol I picked a random later episode to read the plot of and it involves Comic Book Guy getting married to a young Japanese girl writing a manga with the help of Homer and Stan Lee.

Scudworth posted:

Jeremy Irons was the voice of the rag.

Oh, you think I'm making this up.

get the gently caress outta here

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The episode where Flanders freaks out and burns the simpsons so hard is my all time favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ZYse6Vqtc

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Sneed's Feed & Seed
Formerly Chuck's

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

The new ones from this are awful. Before it was kind of but not 100% sure that he was gay, it was more of a *wink*wink* thing, if that makes any sense. The new ones were literally "I'm flaming! *burns stares into the camera* and Bart saying "I thought you were..." "not if I use this 10 times a day! *Smithers injects himself with something* "I love boobies!"

They're also missing the scene where Smithers turns on his computer and the startup window is naked burns saying "hello.smithers. You.are.quite.good.at.turning.me.on" "uh...you probably should ignore that"

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

Ambassador Henry Mwabwetumba of the Ivory Coast writes, "What is the real deal with Mr. Burns' assistant Smithers? You know what I'm talking about." Ha ha ha, of course we do.

*shows ambiguously gay things*

As you can see, the real deal with Waylon Smithers is that he's Mr. Burns' assistant. He's in his early 40s, is unmarried, and currently resides in Springfield. Thanks for writing! We'll be right back.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't get it. Is Bort a common name in America?

lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

sout posted:

Yeah I like Das Bus.
Is "They were saved by... oh let's say, Moe" subversive humour or some kind of turning point signifying the death of the Simpsons? Because I just thought it was funny.

It's a reference to the book Lord of the Flies where the kids get saved randomly at the end.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Why would the TV be moved, though? If you look at the house diagram, the TV screen is directly in front of the window while in the episode it is at a 90-degree angle. Why would Homer move the TV? If it's to avoid the distraction of the outdoors, why not just close the curtains? Do you notice how many times "11" shows up in this shot?

Kubrick's only Simpsons episode is way underrated.

They lived in the house for like 30 years, maybe they rearrange the room sometimes

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

cool new Polack jokes posted:

You loving triggered me with that poo poo man. That is a baaaad show.

for me to poop on!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There are Futurama seasons on Netflix Canada but they are season 7, 8, 9, and 10 and I'm too lazy to go look them up to if they are the end of the show or even if they are the new Comedy Central episodes

---

Just looked it up on IMDB and they only list Futurama as Seasons 1-7

WTF Netflix

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Simpsons was originally a great time capsule of the 70s because that's when all the original writers were kids, the level of tech was not cutting edge even for 1991

But for some reason even with younger newer staff the movement forward into the future is slow and dated but in an embarrassing rather than funny anachronistic way

And when they are current it dates the show to the point where future people won't know or care about [x contemporaneous celebrity that is no longer famous] or [x product or service that annoyed Old Man Al Jean 3 years ago]

Yeah when ever a simpson uses a computer or iPhone it freaks me out too

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I still hope it was an April Fool's joke and RIck is still in brain-prison. The real resolution will happen next episode.

Every episode in season 3 is contained in his brain prison

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Went to China last month and they had some great bootleg simpsons poo poo:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mozi posted:

whereas now it would be a James Taylor/Taylor Swift crossover episode

Taylor Swift would be the astronaut flying the ship

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

facebook jihad posted:

Is Gil a poor man's replacement of the Phil Hartman characters? I don't remember him being a big deal in early episodes but he seems to be all over the place now.

Pretty much, even though they showed up together in that Marge becomes a real estate saleswoman episode

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I wouldnt be surprised if they have some sort of AI reading news tweets and writing the episodes and jokes that way instead of getting comedy writers

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Stoner's Pot Palace

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Flipping around on TV and Homer Vs NYC was on. I really dislike this episode. The whole thing was "here I am being insane and violent for no reason whatsoever"

lol if you never had a family member irrationally hate a place due to their own stupidity

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Remember Pepper Anne?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

VJeff posted:

Ron Howard making the jump and then immediately falling is a highlight to me.

I think the series stays pretty watchable up to season 11 right up to Behind the Laughter, which is genuinely great. Then it starts getting bad.

I do love this bit from one of the stupider episodes though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QSdLDGt7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyZs3EJgx8Q

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Homer's Enemy is similar to Office Space in that when you watch it you really learn about how working life actually is

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I do not remember this at all and I'm sure you overdosed on marijuana again but then again.... not likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvJ4_sa4gno

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

More and more evidence that The Simpsons is 100% created by an AI

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Yes, they thought it would make vegetarianism look like a fad if it was dropped at the end of the episode.

I wonder if Richard Gere demanded she remain Buddhist.

Are Lenny and Carl still Buddhist?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

did they ever make an episode where the entire family breaks the fourth wall and pleads with the audience to let them die

Ah the "lost" simpsons episode where it has a hyper realistic Homer crying over his dead families bodies. There is no soundtrack to the episode, you can only hear Homer's raspy breathing and weeping. Homer begins begging to the camera to kill him, but all you can hear is Dan Castellaneta. He's not even using his Homer voice, just begging for you to let him die. He lets slip that the other actors have been dead for years, they just recycle past voice work.

You can watch this episode if you spin the fourth Season 8 DVD backwards.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah basically Hank Azaria has gotten away with his massive racist stereotype character for years and people like the guy from Harold & Kumar and Aziz Ansari grew up wanting to be actors and were like “what the gently caress and this guy isn’t even Indian!?”.

Imagine if, during seasons 2-9, Carl was always depicted with an afro, eating fried chicken and talking about Soul Train. We’ve basically let Apu go on way too long

Hmm I just realized the Simpsons have no Asian character that I can discern, or they certainly didn’t during the Golden Years

They have Akira

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Akira

Also voiced by Hank Azaria

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fox wants their $300K worth of Hank Azaria per episode okay?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I caught up on the last two weeks. Not only was last week's the sequel to the Pin Pals episode, the plot of the episode the week before that was driven by goddamn "Marge vs. the Monorail." Marge becomes mayor because they turn the old monorail track into a pedestrian skyway, but then it turns out they never took the monorail off the system, and the system gets electrified, and the monorail starts up and runs over a bunch of pedestrians (including the crazy-haired scientist guy from the original episode). They're doing so many callbacks these days it's like the writers think it's the final season but I'm pretty sure they're signed on for several more.

How do they do a sequel? Do they have like a "previously on The Simpsons" start?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

there is a brief reshot scene iirc, but it's very short.

lisa is traumatized about their experiences at camp krusty, so marge makes her and bart go to therapy (although bart is just faking to skip school + get things). during therapy, they recover memories of seeing a kid die, but, when they return to the camp, it turns out the kid was just a midget and is still alive.

the b plot is that marge and homer had a lot of sex while the kids are gone, but now that the kids are back they aren't having sex. homer discovers that if he is volcel, then he becomes very smart and good at his job. marge initially likes the new homer but becomes sexually frustrated and they end up going back to kamp krusty (which has reopened as a spa/swingers club) where she finally convinces him to have sex, making him stupid again.

fin.

I feel like you are lying to me, but I know you are not

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Reminds me of the contest to win the Simpsons house replica they built or a cash reward for guessing who killed Mr Burns and in all the shots it was completely furnished but in reality all the furniture was removed and it was probably barely livable so of course the person who won took the cash

They took the elephant prize

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

You guys missed the end with the maid and the call for help for Puerto Rico

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One of the strangest simpsons staff vs the nerds was this exchange in the Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show episode:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

Bart: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.

Comic Book Guy:
Worst episode ever.

The comic book guy was always the nerd audience insert so I took this scene as the simpson's staff railing on the nerds who complained, it always struck me as odd that they thought people got entertainment for free. Like people have to pay for cable and what not and are exposed to ads, during that time period it wasn't "free".

Also seemed out of character that Bart would defend a television studio

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

FOX is network TV, it's literally free if you have an antenna.

Ah, I never had TV as a kid and am not from the US so now that makes sense.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BART DICK

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i work with a grown man who really dislikes marge and i can't imagine being watching the simpsons and being so humorless...never mind.

Do you tell him to watch out for the shaq attack on the regular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Backweb posted:

I think Hank Hill was originally 35 years old too.

The backstory is that the Simpsons were basically scraping by with their lifestyle, few savings, and the house was bought for them or something like that. Regardless, the closer I push to these characters in age the more I realize how much average life in America has fundamentally changed in the past 20+ years. I feel like Homer ought to be pushing 50. I have some friends with houses, cars, and babies, but I honestly can't fathom it because of how skewed the system is these days.

Not all of us can be Homer, some of us are Lenny and Moe