Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Huh, when that Homer Votes clip was over I noticed how hard I was frowning. It's pretty bad when you can be politically aligned with someone and still feel insulted by their message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The first time I felt like it was insulting my intelligence was that Lisa turning vegetarian episode. I was like 8, but it managed to do it.
I tuned in once around 2010 and it was some episode about Kent Brockman losing his job and it just kinda sat there, then ended. I decided it wasn't worth returning to at that point. So yeah, that Homer Votes thing is the first I've seen in 7 years.

:v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Lisa being mid-30s burned out teacher who is considered a conservative monster by the standards of today.

This would be hysterical.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

death by computer posted:

It was the time Homer tripped on MDMA with Lena Dunham to a Spacemen 3 song.

Was there a subplot about Bart, Lisa and some pebbles?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Thin Privilege posted:

Real edit, Wasn't there some fake news ticker on Family Guy where Quagmire rapes Marge?

Rapes her (but she enjoys it!), then shoots the whole Simpsons family. Macfarlane justified it by saying there was a "WANTED: Plagiarist" poster of Peter Griffin in a Simpsons episode. So, you know. Rape Marge and shotgun the fam, that seems an equal return.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
:): "I really like this book."
:cool:: *Draws a penis on the book* "lol and now u r gay!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Critic episode stands out as a weird exception to how cringy and poo poo crossovers are.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Nonviolent J posted:

i didnt even find out it was a crossover til a few years ago

king of the hill's crossover was better

BOO-URNS. BOO-URNS.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All I remember of the movie was Green Day and Lisa gettin' preachy <10 minutes in. Couldn't take more than that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was pretty sad when I realized even the Halloween episodes were no longer good. Something about dolphins taking over and Ned running a biblical-themed haunted house that just had... no jokes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Also over-explaining jokes. The way they constantly do it makes it absolutely baffling that these are supposedly professional comedy writers.

This was super apparent in that Homer Votes clip. I mean all of it, but just looking at one fragment: The front of Smithers' shirt was a perfectly serviceable joke. But you as the audience are surely too stupid to recognize Hillary's campaign logo, so the kindly writer will use the entirety of Smithers' back to explain the joke to you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

i hope they vote against russian president vladmir putin

Who? I need more information.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Piss de Bundy posted:

YOULL NEVER STOP THE SIMPSONS
NEVER FEAR,WE'LL HAVE STORIES FOR YEARS

SOMETHING SOMETHING GRANDPA MARRIES SELMA

I think about this and its whoops-it-happened counterpart and sometimes wonder if Marge ever became a robot.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Good lord, all this "Principal and the Pauper" chat, and it turns out they went back to that well repeatedly.

A well so nice they visited it twice! Thrice! Six times.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have no idea why you'd ever want to ditch Murder Skinner. Norman Bates as a Green Beret sells itself.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It seems like more of a copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy thing. Each time they self-imitate, certain character traits get imitated more than others until they become defining characteristics, while other details that used to round the character out get completely lost. Like how Flanders just used to be a really nice guy who owed part of his niceness to being a good Christian. Then the Christian jokes— kind of funny originally— kept getting bigger and repeated so often that they became his singular defining characteristic, and by now the writers have simply forgotten that he used to have any other properties.

Flanders' devolution has bothered me a long-rear end time. He was one of the best characters because he was the polar opposite of every other cynical, sarcastic, incompetent person in Springfield. It was great a great dynamic to have him so cheerful in response to their abrasiveness and at the same time, made you sympathize with Homer because fucker's so perfect he ain't even mad. Maude and the Lovejoys better fit the raving Christian quota because once you give Ned a fault, it destroys the joke of his character. You're not supposed to hate him for any other reason than you have absolutely no reason to hate him.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

happyhippy posted:

If that scene was made today, he would hit the tree, and out would pop Kanye from the tree complaining that you disturbed his recording session.

"Grammy winning rap artist, Kanye West?!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Note: Since your intro is attached to every episode, its animation quality is higher and more fluid than the episode content.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I think of a pointless celebrity cameo episode, I think of that one where Homer literally drops through a celebrity couple's skylight and spends the rest of the episode giving them relationship advice. I tried to refresh my memory on the details, but then I instead found an episode about Mandy Moore stripteasing at a baseball game and then later pole-dancing in front of Bart and moaning while Homer gives her a massage. Homer then crashes a blimp, but is fine.

Like, alright.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Benny Harvey posted:

When you dish upon a star?

Season 10....

Thaaat's the one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
South Park also put out a really, really good game a couple of years back. Last fun Simpsons game I played was that Bartman one on the NES and I shudder at the thought of whatever Family Guy game is out there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Aging Millenial posted:

The thing about the old Simpsons is that there was a certain level of wit that was gobsmacking and often subtle. Remember this brilliant moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_DtkbHfTcM (Homer's speech @59s, but the whole thing is good)

It has a literary ring to it. Is it a reference to something?

Not as exacting as I thought (and confirmed by Captain Lavender not to be the case), but I was immediately reminded of this exchange in Psycho:

quote:

Norman: What do you know about caring? Have you ever seen the inside of one of those places? The laughing, and the tears, and the cruel eyes studying you? My mother there? Oh, but she's harmless! She's as harmless as one of those stuffed birds!
Marion: I am sorry. I only felt... it seems she's hurting you. I tried to mean well.
Norman: People always mean well! They cluck their thick tongues, and shake their heads and suggest, oh, so very delicately!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Blind Pineapple posted:

That was kind of a Principal and the Pauper moment for Futurama, where it was a sharp change in tone from what the series had done previously, and not in a good way. Like I said earlier, though, it bounced back enough that the only way you could continue that analogy is if The Simpsons ended after S9.

The Susan Boyle one was where I stopped watching and from what I understand, it was a jump-the-shark moment for a ton of people. It's nice it marginally bounced back, but my interest in ever revisiting it was killed by that episode.

Devil's Hands was good, tho.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

get that OUT of my face posted:

venture bros. is the superior homage comedy on Adult Swim anyway

This is just a fact. It's probably the best animated show on TV.
And that's why it punishes us; so we don't become complacent.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought a Mary Sue was a writer self-insert who floats through the universe being awesome at everything, is always proven right and overcomes every problem because they're inherently better than everyone else?

I guess if you take the series as a whole Rick could fit that, but it falls apart when you go episode by episode. (Cronenberg'd planet, season 2 finale and the one with Summer's cute top come to mind.)
I haven't seen much of OPM, so I can't comment there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Scudworth posted:

If you watch the Harmontown documentary, read anything about Dan Harmon, or listen to his (ex)wife's podcast it's blatant that Rick is how Dan Harmon sees himself and it's as utterly depressing as everything else about him. The guy needs help. Rick is a Mary Sue when the writer also hates himself.

That's pretty funny, honestly.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This thread about Simpsons is now about people getting mad about things other people do or don't like and calling each other retarded.
I'm sure that's some kind of commentary but much like the Simpsons, I don't care enough to give it more thought.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

get that OUT of my face posted:

the episode name tonight is "22 for 30" and here's the description

I wonder if the first draft of this substituted the mafia for rape allegations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

have they done an episode where Homer becomes a famous lets player yet

Somebody frame this drat post, it was made by a prophet.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I tried to like Gravity Falls, but it wasn't happening.

Same. Pretty to look at and that's about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you didn't love how Jerry had a framed picture of the stupid Rick he made friends with you are dead inside.

Along with a model of the Titanic and a jar of apple product, that was great.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Everything is garbage when I see it with my garbage eyes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Of course there's not a Trump episode yet. The Koreans need more time to figure out why the script is written in tongues.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
lol at people who get mad when someone talks about why they don't like a thing.
Like, what have you even been doing since November?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

lo-fuckin'-l that 8-bit Simpsons has unarguably far, far better animation than the actual drat show.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This quarter-assed, zero-effort non-joke may actually be the most audience-insulting, gently caress-you piece of writing the Simpsons ever gave us. It's as if they basically flat out said, "Oh, you want us to write comedy, huh? SUCK MY DICK." *Extends hand for paycheck*

I mean come on, at least TRY to make a joke name.

"Apphole Computers." "Crapple Computers." "App... blow Computers." There you go, three lame rear end joke names that are nonetheless still actual jokes that I just pulled out of my rear end this second.

Hell, just use a different fruit. "Guava Computers." "Banana Computers." "Coconut Computers."

"Slapple Computers." "Blabble Computers." "Fapple Computers." "Flabble Computers." Come on, I know these aren't exactly comedy gold but at least I've expended five minutes of effort here...

loving... WOOZLE WUZZLE Computers...

I sincerely wonder if the reason they can't make an actual joke is because they have merch with Apple.

I want the final episode to be They'll Never Stop the Simpsons.
Bart sells fidget spinners to his classmates, Lisa does the Emoji Pop, Homer tweets Trump, Marge is doxxed by Mamerican Mairlines and Maggie stares at a total eclipse. The whole thing is so momentary and dated that it breaks the fabric of time and The Simpsons reboots itself as Life in Hell.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Last time I checked in on this thread, folks were playing the fake or real synopsis game. I so completely could not tell that I didn't feel like it was much of a game and it made me sad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I think it's even more depressing than that... I don't think any fake synopses got posted :psypop:

I don't know how to type the distressed stutters I'm making.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Aren't 90% of Family Guy songs rehashes from old musicals? Like a LOT of Bing Crosby stuff. I ran into that Shapoopie song in its original form not too long ago.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Debunk This! posted:

Every time some idiot goon says this they're inadvertently saying Little Shop of Horrors sucks and thats just hosed UP.

ITS hosed UP

Also just objectively wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Little Shop of Horrors and West Side Story are the only musicals I've ever enjoyed, and I only saw the movie versions.

The only musical I've seen in musical form is Rent, which was dreadful. Hamilton, which I saw on Disney+, wasn't as awful, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable either.

Movie Little Shop of Horrors is the best version IMO, despite the absence of Mushnik and Son. Everything else is just so goddamn on point.