Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Homer Badman was a great episode title because it was intentionally stupid

Episode titles like Bart vs. Australia these days would be named “Bartzing Matilda” or “Bartcodile D’oh-dee”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Imagine the shitshow if a new simpsons episode burned the flag like the Canyonero

Chuds everywhere would boycott the simpsons for a week

Also everyone knows Groening has nothing to do with The Simpsons being good anyways, he’s just a money collecting shill. Most of the credit goes to John Swartzwelder and Conan to some extent.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 11, 2019

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

And he’s earned my unsub

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

J Michael Mendel died, who produced many of the least lowest points of the simpsons died

Rip to a real one

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is how Julie Kavner sounds now btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCO9ZZ5p20&t=17s

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

cyclops Simpsons looking real good

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I fell asleep during the part where they leave Springfield and woke up when Homer was taking the motorcycle around the dome or whatever. I remember seeing a 10-year old animated boy’s penis and feeling really weird about why it needed to be in the movie. I remember I liked seeing Green Day die but hated everything else about them being in the movie, including that they were even in the movie at all.

So in essence it was the best thing they’ve done since season 11.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

For me the first two seasons had the weird thing where they would say a line, there was a string pluck and then a fade out to black before commercials which was weird. Also the early season dialogue was jam packed and characters constantly cut each other off and a lot of the jokes never had time to simmer, if they simmered at all. A joke like the when Burns sells the plant to the Germans then saying to Homer “.........such as?” just weren’t on the radar.

AstroWhale posted:

The pretzel episode had some good scenes, at least.

This scene alone makes that episode, and the entire season, worth watching.

https://youtu.be/YqmdiiqIRA8

Also In Marge We Trust is the Mr Sparkle episode. Come the gently caress on y’all

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 12, 2019

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

PinheadSlim posted:

That's why I said lesser, I know modern Family Guy is somehow managing good episodes.

I will watch the new episode and report back in an hour, God help me :v:

this dude still hasn't come back yet

I think he must have offed himself it was that bad

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What the gently caress is Baby Elephant Walk

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Archer was never good and I think the people who liked it were using it as some kind of stopgap to fill some sort of weird “I need to have one animated show I can tell people I like to convince them I am a complete human being” after Futurama but before Rick and Morty and Sealab 2021 season 1 wasn’t mainstream enough to talk about

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Ah the ol’ post season-8 lovely “have a band as guest stars and each one gets one line”

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The C’s

Homer’s barbershop quarter is named The Cunts

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nah season 1 looks like poo poo, season 2 is only barely better but they’re mostly ruined by the terrible overlapping dialogue and weird editing choices

Those early seasons were so jam packed full of talking that nothing had any room to breathe because every episode had to have homer speak lovingly sadly about how beautiful something was I guess?

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 1, 2019

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Eh! Frank posted:

Not sure what you were referring to, but this popped to mind

Load up any season 2 episode and you’ll find that for some reason homer has to cry and mention how beautiful X thing is

Like it literally happens in the first 5 minutes of Bart gets an F

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I dunno, it’s just always irked me that they wanted to try and really shove the emotional “everyday American family” thing early on when it wasn’t anything that anyone cared about and those kinds of lines for the characters made the show have absolutely no room to let the comedy beats play out

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The episode where Bart goes to France is a great example of early season bad editing and overcrowded dialog. Never in that episode’s wildest dreams would there ever be any references to Peter Ueberroth.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Master Twig posted:

Because I'm right, and we all know it.

Actually you’re not and I was too tired to comment before telling you what a terrible take that was to even suggest season 1 is better than a season that has The Old Man and the Lisa, Homer’s Phobia, MOTHERFUCKING Homer’s Enemy? A Mulhouse Divided? I sleep in a race car, do you? gently caress me dude

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Does zombie/modern Simpsons ever do itchy and scratchy openers

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

That episode was written by a noted Twitterer and was actually not that bad.

Narrator: It actually was just as bad.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

Tonight's episode opens with some random old dude telling Lisa she'd be prettier if she smiled more. Lisa then finds out she needs braces again (her last orthodontist being a rogue periodontist instead of a real orthodontist). Her new braces force her into a smile for some reason I guess that's how braces work? Turns out the old guy was right everyone treats her a lot better.

This episode has a ton of weird Lisa faces because they insist she smiles through talking, so her front teeth are sticking out the whole episode.

She runs for student body president against one of Cleatus' kids. Her orthodontist gives her her bottom retainer and that somehow negates the smiling thing. She finds she's completely incapable of smiling at all. It costs her the election. She gets a pep talk from Marge about it and then the Marge turns out to be an Artie Ziff robot from the other plot and it grows wings and carries off the old man from the beginning of the episode.

In the B plot:

Artie Ziff sends the Simpsons a hologram invitation to his bachelor party and wedding. The hologram does the floss dance, which is I believe the third time the floss dance has been on the show. There's also a Tupac hologram that begs for death. Artie actually went to prison in the last Artie episode, but he got rich again when he got out selling take wood logs shaped like money (Money to Burn).

There's no one on the bride's side at the wedding, some random person asks Homer to walk the bride down the aisle. When they get to the vows, the bride takes her veil off and it's a Marge. Marge and Homer freak out and flee the ceremony. They go to his cabin where he's honeymooning to find out what the gently caress, and it turns out he's been building Marge robots. The Simpsons convince him to put the robots to good use, so he builds houses for the poor with them or something.

Oh yeah, this episode was very bad.

Are you loving kidding me:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hey guys if you wanna laugh at me, I've been so bored at my office lately that I've begun writing a screenplay for an episode of The Simpsons

It will be a laugh riot and as successful as the Zybourne Clock, Slenderman or a modern episode of The Simpsons

Please make fun of me now.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 8, 2020

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I hate that kind of “comedy” when a person or family gets a big break from being destitute and whoops hahahaha they’re poor again at the end of the episode!

If you’ve ever lived through a period of a total lack of class mobility this strikes wayyy too close to home to be funny.

Just look at what happens to people who come into money too fast:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm certain that no matter how bad my script treatment will be, it still couldn't be this bad even if I was actually trying

[CHARACTER][VERB][CHARACTER] and is going to [VERB][CHARACTER]'s[NOUN]. Meanwhile, [CHARACTER] gets a [NOUN] from [CHARACTER] and has to [VERB].

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 9, 2020

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Groundskeeper hits Marge and is going to shoot Lisa's piggy bank. Meanwhile, Moe gets a dog from Krusty and has to become a trampoline artist.

Nope, still more sensible.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Look at the animation on the gun twirling, making his hand bob around, the subtle blue on the gun, the way Marge's eyes move with respect to the perspective of the camera

There used to be such awesome passionate animators working on this show, makes you sad to see it

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

One thing that modern Simpsons never gags on anymore is the pull-back shot that defies conventions. Things like the “Yeah, that’s a fine looking grill! *pull back* why the hell doesn’t mine look like that!”

These days the closest it gets is to have weird shop names next to each other and easy, lame gags like that

Let me write one for them: At Springfield mall - Mapple Store, *pull back and out* Broken Screen Mapple Repair Shop with very long line out the door

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched last night's current episode of the Simpsons. Marge becomes a lumberjack lumberjill, and the Simpsons visited Portland for a lumberjack lumberjill competition. This included a "parody" of the intro to Portlandia.

Yes, I was drunk at the time.

What was the musical montage set to that of course they did (not including the Portlandia intro)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

I remember when this episode was new they played an ad of Luanne kissing Boomhauer on the cheek and Hank bwaaahing at it every commercial break for a week. But yeah, there was no romance involved, Hank just freaks out because it's Boomhauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xEIm8P0qLo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Marge In Chains is front-to-back gold (juice loosener, Osaka flu, smoking monkey, don’t panic think of a lie... my name is Mr. Burns!, I’m gonna miss sheriff lobo!, and the word guilty is misspelled!) that it really doesn’t matter what the premise of the plot is. It’s just a vehicle for those perfect 90s Simpson writing moments they had collected.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I still think this is probably one of the low points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua7dN2mKyMs

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol his face is wonderfully slightly off model, plus I love Homer’s little grunt as he flies back inside

The charm of real animation versus the lovely computerized stuff is all those weird little inaccuracies in the early seasons

Like in season 3 everyone had giant pupils for some reason but it was still lovingly drawn and crafted and genuine

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What the hell

Are they doing the "Family Guy time travels and revists their old episodes from a different view" or something?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

why do all the characters besides future bart look like they did before they moved to HD?

The Japan episode still has a ton of stuff that holds up well though. The secret to eternal bliss, the knife goes in guts come out, etc.

And as for the HD vs old school, it's because the showrunners were't content with making new sit episodes that now they're actively ruining past ones

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

i mean, overall i still like the episode as well. it's just that a lot of the japanese centric jokes seem kinda bad in retrospect

The killing the emperor by throwing him into a bunch of sumo thongs ages better and better though

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

"They're YEARS ahead of us" and then homer making GBS threads on the cam

"I once knew a man from Nantucket"

"What did I do to deserve this? ...oh right."

"You liked Rashomon"
"That's not how I remember it" is a great line that could have been in the golden era, but as you'd expect they rush it out with more dialogue.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 19, 2022

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The question is - when his wife goes "Al, lets have seeeeex!" and he says no, is he saying "Uh, no Peg." or the even better "Uh, no peg."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just more mutilating the corpse

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol They are just mutilating the corpse at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Did they actually do a Roblox episode?