Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Precambrian posted:

I liked the Talking Simpsons episode on Homer's Enemy, because they had some of the Chapo guys who were pretty much in agreement with this thread until it got posited to look at Homer/Grimes as a Boomer/Millennial workplace relationship. And it was hilarious because 1) once it became their personal identity politics, the Chapo guys flipped

Of course they did. :lol:

My main problem with the episode is that it makes Grimes too sympathetic, with the hard-luck backstory and such. It's hard for me to enjoy watching a guy get poo poo on who doesn't really deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
My main problem with the Grimes episode is that they give him too much of a hard luck backstory, which makes him too sympathetic. Take out the first few minutes, and the episode works a lot better.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I agree, they basically chose a character whose entire development throughout the show had been based entirely and exclusively on his past, and outside a world of excellent lines, the interesting parts of his character were exclusively relegated to the past that shaped him into the character we know as Skinner. Without it, he would be incredibly bland, a 2-D straight man and nothing but Bart's foil. Retconning him into being a grown-up version of Bart only to have him accept a life of obsequious subordination to an old woman he had never previously met just doesn't make any sense.

And his NAME, I think it was the first time I truly felt like they phoned it in, like some wannabe writer pulled "Tamzarian" out of the air and everyone lied to themselves that it didn't sound like a poo poo, made-up name pulled from a low-grade sci-fi.
Only matched by the sheer, cringing laziness of "Jeff Albertson".

Yeah, it was a bad idea to introduce a shocking twist to a long-established character like that. Kinda like when they revealed that Ned Flanders is actually 60 years old.

I actually liked Comic Book Guy having a completely ordinary name, though.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
What was so bad about The Italian Bob again? I know I watched that episode, but I don't remember a single thing about it except for a vague plot outline.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it owned. the prisoner stuff kinda sucked but homer running a lovely geocities website led to some good jokes

"they have the internet on computers now" was a pretty good line

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

There are a lot of reductive heuristics for determining when the Simpsons lost its mojo (when celebrities started playing themselves, when Phil Hartman died), but regular episodes becoming indistinguishable from Halloween episodes is one of my favorites. I distinctly remember an episode where Kang and Kodos are just hanging out in a non Halloween episode as a bit of a watershed for me.

Same, but with the "jockey elves" episode.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, i may have asked this before, so i apologize, but how is this show still running (ON PRIMETIME!!) with ratings like this?

One part of it is that TV ratings in general just suck now. I mean, the highest rated show last Sunday was 60 Minutes, with a whopping 0.8 rating!

But even by those lower standards, The Simpsons still isn't doing too hot.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first big "look at all these celebrities!" episode I can think of is the one with the Krusty Comeback special, which was a good episode, but did have elements of that whole "celerity worship" problem that would take over in later seasons. Then again, getting Johnny Carson was a pretty big deal at the time.

Also, lol at this (from the Wiki article on the episode):

Wikipedia posted:

Voice actors Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer both strongly objected to the celebrity cameos in the episode, considering it tasteless, which led to Kavner boycotting it entirely; as a result, this is the only episode of the series to date in which Marge does not have any speaking parts.

I guess their position on that changed over the last 30 years.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now that I think about it, why isn't there a nostalgia-bait sitcom about growing up in the 2000s?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't forget that Ned is canonically a senior citizen now

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

PTSD!Skinner is hilarious and I miss him

Have they done anything in recent episodes about Skinner being a veteran? I guess nowadays he could have served in Afghanistan or Iraq...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
In THIS house we obey the laws of THERMODYNAMICS!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
More like Ian Hack-tone Graham! :argh:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

I think there was an episode in one of the newer seasons where some sci fi thing made them all swap genders. Or maybe I imagined that, idk, but the show definitely got more into barely disguised fetish territory later on.

That was an actual episode, and it was the laziest, hackiest collection of gender cliches imaginable.

"Women be shopping, amirite?"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happy Landfill posted:

Homer and Marge being Millennials fucks with me in a way I can't explain

It was weird enough when they became Gen X

Remember when Homer fronted a grunge band?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Junk posted:

just wait till there gen z

It'll be another 10 years before that happens

Harry Shearer will be pretty close to Mr. Burns's actual age by that point

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Annabel Pee posted:

Just got past the awful Musk episode on my watch, and I've noticed the next two episodes have both talked about Musk wrecking the plant? So weird to start adding continuity to the storylines half way through Season 26.

There was also that period of time where Barney was sober.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Well yeah, he's been a millenial for about four years now

Ten more years until he's gen Z

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I really noticed bad Simpsons creeping in with Lisa the Skeptic, when the angel is found all the townsfolk instantly materialized for one liners including ugh Sideshow Mel. And later they form an angry mob & that’s needed every episode (although to be fair it did give us the robot feeling pain & Moe hoping medical science will cure him.)

Yeah, that was one of the first episodes I remember watching and thinking "something's off here".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Most Power Alex posted:

I remember hearing someone say that the term shouldn't be called Flanderisation because people becoming more religiously fanatic as they age is just a thing that happens in real life. Every other character in the Simpsons is a better example of the phenomenon.

Yeah, it makes sense for a 60-year-old guy like Flanders to be pretty religious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s weird when the new ones reference something they could have done 30 years ago.

I had the same feeling watching SNL last night when they did a sketch about Air Bud