Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
Guest star: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

For everyone who skimmed this "lol, make up a zany simpsons episode plot" post, this is an actual real episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Here you go, a direct compare-and-contrast of the same type of joke made on the same type of episode of the Simpsons, then vs. now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMlyIDCAow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzt0xBXTNhI

I really think this about sums everything up.

When you can have a "joke" fill in literally 4 or 5 times as much run time you don't have to think as hard.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I will still argue up and down with people about their rosy memories of the first bunch of seasons. There were plenty of:

1. "Family Guy-esque cutaways" even though Family Guy didn't exist yet
2. Pointless celebrity cameos
3. Bad writing wackyness

All the very specific criticisms people constantly level at the later seasons are there in the early seasons. You are glossing over them because of nostalgia. However, the early seasons could get by with lazy writing and lazy animation BECAUSE THEY WERE ACTUALLY FUNNY.

Youre going to have to name some examples to win me over on this one duder. I don't recall any family guy esque cutaways at all and the pointless celebrities is probably up for debate depending on which ones you mean.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

So what's best point of simpsons?

The entirety of Last exit to Springfield.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

How high can property values be when you got a raging, ever-burning, tire fire going?

Well how high can you build an escalator to nowhere or a popcicle stick skyscraper?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

He's confusing the crazy cat lady with Flanders' mother from this scene ("Hello Joe") because I suppose they share some of the same mannerisms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLR6XaTn18&t=78s
To be honest it's a pretty dumb thing to say

You call her his mother despite the fact he obviously calls her grandma Flanders.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Good lord what is happening in this thread.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's not an uncommon thing

he calls her grandma Flanders because he's Rod and Todd's grandma

doesn't Marge call Abe grandpa Simpson

Sounds like an upstate new york expression.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Ned's mother is a beatnik, this is canon :colbert:

Freaky beatniks.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

Hank Azaria: "Wait, am I doing Wiggum or Moe for this scene? Ah, gently caress it."

Ah poo poo you're right, its super noticable talking to the courier.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I will always praise American Dad for teaching me all about Ollie North's gold.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Just caught this tonight and for fucks sake I laughed until I hurt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICU1pQ8fkM

It was once so good

Ive seen this a million times but the timing of the house suddenly getting up and running away still caught me and made me laugh.

"Oh Kent, I would be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes".

"....Well touche"

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

The cat burglar episode was actually probably one of the weakest of the pre-season 10 run

Whats the matter with you kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZfVe7sJDQ

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

SirPablo posted:

I think there I general consensus that Stupid Homer becoming Jerk Homer was a tipping point. So when did Jerk Homer first appear?

Also, I'm rewatching Homer v NYC. I think what bothers me is the dimension of sober Barney in the beginning. Feels forced.

The Cartridge Family where Homer gets his gun is a big jerkass homer episode at the beginning of season 9. It gets away with it by being really very funny with the way he is a jerk but its a very obviously a character shift away from his regular "trying to do good badly" shtick.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

pooch516 posted:

It also presents him with some actual consequences that are dealt with in a realistic way. It shows that he has a conscience but he's just dumb and it takes a while for it to hit him.

True. It helps its a pretty well rounded storyline around the jokes.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I never watch the newer episodes but last night I had the TV on for backround noise and an episode of the Simpsons came on. It was about some future version of Lisa getting into Harvard. She gets told about her acceptance via drone and it shoots down other college offering drones with a laser. I was doing :psyduck: for most of the episode but that part made me roll my eyes.

Its not like they havent dont good university jokes before either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkNEBjJScbk&t=169s

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well to start, it's a super iconic reference that has been parodied and homaged in countless works at this point. It also aired a full 10 years after the movie came out, so it wasn't a quick cash-in. There are kids born in the last decade who very likely know what that scene is all about. Second, there's no snappy dialog in it. The humor is all in the animation and the visual gags, which leads to point three: it doesn't linger on any joke. Like all golden age Simpsons, it's one joke after another with no pause for the audience to laugh. This greatly improves the flow of the scene. The humor is all in the turning of ordinary household objects into clever references to the movie without ever seeming over the top. It's a cartoon, sure, but it's not zany and it narrowly avoids being absurd. In modern Simpsons, Harrison Ford or Spielberg would have had a too on the nose cameo and someone would have shouted, "Get your hat Bart! Like in the movie!" or something equally awfully while Homer as the boulder would have bounced around like a pinball.

...honestly, I can't even pretend to write a line as awful as would show up in the actual show.

One thing you're forgetting to mention is that this scene, and many other Simpsons jokes, work despite the references themselves. Even if you havent seen Raiders its still a really well scripted and animated action scene with its own jokes like Homer hitting the garage door or yelling incomprehensibly with the rake. Its hilarious within its own absurdity so it transcends basic reference humour. Same with the aforementioned T2 and Ned's car.

Most modern Simpsons just utterly fails to actually do that itself and relies purely on reference to be the joke.. which just isnt really funny.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Can I just say something I miss about old Simpsons was the fact that Skinner was not to be hosed with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbGio8FSdzY

He's like some sort of non giving up... school guy.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I should have guessed 140 new posts in this thread would have been garbled bullshit about how much more woke people are over others.

Simpsons should have been cancelled 20 years ago and Apu a quaint character from a different time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Some early Simpsons episodes were a joke every line. Last Exit is nonstop jokes.

Its also the greatest episode so perhaps thats the reason.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Imagine if the only Peruvian character on TV rode a llama everywhere, ate guinea pigs and lived in a house shaped like Machu Picchu

Nobody outside Peru has enough concept of Peru to associate that to any particular bunch of people.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think I mentioned it like last year in this thread, but I think the comparison between the new vs old treatment of the same joke about teasing stoic guards below says is a perfect case study

https://youtu.be/BdDdeS997hM

https://youtu.be/zzt0xBXTNhI

The other issue is the complete lopsidedness to the "punishment" homer receives. The marine punches him once for being a jerk whilst the monks literally tear his heart out (terrible in itself) in response. I mean, where the hell is the joke in that exactly?

khwarezm posted:

A thing that always annoyed me in a similar vein, I know that the 'No, Money Down!' gag is an absolute classic, but it always annoyed me how they have Bart and Hutz repeat the joke verbally after you just see it presumably so that slower members of the audience understood it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yuL6PcgSgM

Well it does lead into the more subtle bar association joke as well. It still absolutely works.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I will never get how Americans can be so utterly aggressive and violent about so many things and then utterly balless about something like The Simpsons.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Laterite posted:

Season One blew my mind as a 12 year old raised on truly mawkish and banal '80s sitcoms. It was absolutely a transgressive take on the wholesome family trope. The pilot episode has father and son going to a dog track on Christmas Eve because they're broke, after having paid for the son's tattoo removal. In another the entire family zaps each other during electroshock therapy. The wife flirts with infidelity. A babysitter holds the kids hostage. There's some dark stuff there.

Anyway, for me, "The Change" was when celebrities started showing up as themselves instead of actual characters. Exception granted for The Ramones and Cypress Hill, of course.

You still had the occasional self celebrity that was fine such as Ringo Starr in the early seasons but that's realllllly subtle compared to later ones.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

By the way, you're probably like me and remembering how god-awful this episode was and the lovely cameos from Venus and Serene Williams and other tennis players. Just a reminder that this episode first aired in February 2001. Sweet dreams :twisted: :twisted:

The simpsons turned into hardcore poo poo so quickly no one even noticed.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

pooch516 posted:

Everyone points to the Grunge episode as a retcon, but it actually fixes one of the plotholes that's been in the series since the first flashback episode in regards to the characters' ages.

It's still a bad episode and I don't think anyone really cared about them explaining the five-year gap between Homer and Marge meeting and having Bart.

How is that a plot hole? A lot of people hold off on marriage and kids.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

imo, about midway through season 3 up until the end of season 8 is essentially an unbroken run of solid gold episodes. there's some great ones before and after, but the quality started to plummet when Phil Hartman died. probably the last decent episode is either HOMR or the Behind the Laughter (i forget which order they appear in). the episode where they go to the superbowl is where i mark where the show gets more bad than good

Behind the Laughter was S11, HOMR was S12. I put Behind the Laughter as the final cutoff point of good simpsons. Even HOMR, which has some decent one off gags, is mostly a really stupid episode and fits right into the bad era.

S11 is pretty average overall at its best but there is some decent stuff in there.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Burns: "Find the bathroom all right?"

Homer: "Uh... yeah!

Last exit to Springfield is the no1 episode and I will fight anyone who disagrees with me.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

First of May posted:

I've been watching every episode in order, and I think the first appearance of Jerk Homer is in Lisa on Ice.

Homer is a super jerk in that episode but also somehow incredibly funny because of it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Literally all I remember about it is the trailers which ran the "spider-pig" joke into the ground before the movie was even in theaters

Was the "Homer between a rock and a hard place" "joke" in the movie because thats the only other awful attempt at humour I can remember from the marketing.

I never bothered seeing the movie.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Master Twig posted:

My other hot take. You Only Move Twice is good, not great, and wouldn't even make my top 20 episodes. Homers Enemy and El Viage Misterioso are also pretty good, but also not all time classics. The rest listed there are perfectly fine episodes, but nothing special. The rest of season 8 is full of weird plots that feel like they're starting to dig deeper in the barrel for ideas, but not QUITE at the bottom yet.

Season 8 is where the characters start to not feel like the same characters we had grown to love. There's a distinct shift in the tone of the show that's hard to put into words, and it began that year. 2 is definitely better than 8. I may concede that 1 is then at least equal to 8.

Excuse me? Beer baron is one of the top 10 episodes of all time. Looking through the episode list, there are a bunch of absolute classics in that season.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAv75JPw-QQ

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Season 8 has a definite and intentional "deconstructing" feel to it. It's even discussed pretty heavily in the commentaries. They thought it was ending soon and wanted to get a little weird with it. Little did they know just how weird it would eventually get and for how long. There's also a definite change in tone that I have a hard time putting my finger on, so I can sort of understand not considering 8 as part of the "golden years". It's still the end of them for me, but I do distinctly remember "My Sister, My Sitter" being the first episode that truly felt "off" to me. Lisa's situation is like a nightmare that plays out with very few jokes at all.

You are right in a way. There are definitely episodes that slip below the average in either quality or tone that season. its just that the peaks and valleys of quality have drifted apart a bit. The aforementioned Beer baron (homer vs 18th ammendment) episode is one of the absolute best of the entire show yet Sister my sitter is really a bit of a poor episode. Not bad, just poor. The golden years in my opinion absolutely encompass season 8 and go into 9 as well. The finale of 10, the japan episode is really the turning point where the quality fell off the cliff quickly.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

ulex minor posted:

that's actually kind of funny

Dont praise the machine.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

The lowest point of The Simpsons was Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes by assuming a CEO could ever become homeless after tanking a company rather than getting a billion dollar parachute and doing it all over at a different one.

I think he was the owner (now thats an archaic concept in itself) but the point stands that its a particularly dumb episode.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

They're on the church marquee as the Be Sharps, despite the fact that they haven't fired Wiggum and picked a name yet.

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

I kind of wonder how many people actually got the joke behind the name as you really have to have a knowledge of playing music to actually get it.

Meanwhile, giving Disneyplus a go and oh boy does the cropping look absolutely awful. Its obviously just a zoom in job with no remastering at all and gently caress it looks blurry and poo poo.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Well where else are we going to store our naked photos of Whoopie Goldberg?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

I just rewatched The Call of the Simpsons, it was fairly meh overall but the part in Cowboy Bob's RV Round-Up is great. There was another classic joke in there ('is that a good siren?') I didn't realise turned up so early.

That entire scene is pretty good. The voice actor for the salesman really nailed it and being a lot older its amusing to listen to all the standard sales practices that Homer fell for.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

Marge In Chains is front-to-back gold (juice loosener, Osaka flu, smoking monkey, don’t panic think of a lie... my name is Mr. Burns!, I’m gonna miss sheriff lobo!, and the word guilty is misspelled!) that it really doesn’t matter what the premise of the plot is. It’s just a vehicle for those perfect 90s Simpson writing moments they had collected.

You forgot about history's greatest monster.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

For me the biggest reason the Mike Scully era (seasons 9-12.5) was an immediate huge step down from everything before it is mainly due to the shift toward mean-spirited humor and overall unpleasantness. The less grounded, cartoony plotlines would have been totally fine and comparable to many earlier episodes if there wasn't this constant push to make the episodes shocking, edgy, crude, etc and they had maintained the heart, clever wit, and satirical edge of the previous seasons.

Season 9 is mostly okay though and not too bad with this. The episodes are still tightly written and feel like something the staff behind them still gave a poo poo about. Most are decent with only a few outliers. The first episode I remember truly hating was not Principal and the Pauper, it was The Joy of Sect. There are plenty of instances of Jerkass Homer from like season 5 onward, but this was, in my opinion, the first time he's just an absolute insufferable rear end in a top hat with no reasoning behind it or redemption moment. For instance, Homer is in total Jerkass mode in "Lisa on Ice" from season 6, but it's at least because he's really into his kids' success and the episode is making a point about parents getting aggressively competitive over their children's sports and how it affects them.

Seasons 10-12 lean harder into the mean spirited humor and overall unpleasantness and more episodes are not worth watching than are. I will say though that at least the Mike Scully episodes are memorable and structured like proper television episodes, compared to the milquetoast garbage the show has churned out for 20 years now under Al Jean.

The big difference between jerkass Homer in "Lisa on Ice" and later episodes is Lisa on Ice was incredibly funny so you overlooked it. Besides as you said, parents going nutty over their kid's sports like that is also exactly something Homer would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

Why the gently caress was Ned not at church in Homer the Heretic?

The best explanation is simply that he got home from church before the rest of the Simpsons did.