Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I clicked the Tik Tok video first and it was so bad I couldn't bring myself to watch any of the others so I voted for that.

I think the worst thing I actually watched on TV was the one where Maggie was trying to get in to an exclusive preschool and the admissions board had Simon Cowell on it.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

The episode where Bart gets emancipated from his family and hangs with Tony Hawk and poo poo.

This another one that sticks out in my mind as one of the all time worsts. Prominent guest stars appearing as themselves are a common theme.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

"Mean-spirited" is a pretty good descriptor for the Simpsons past, uh, 2001 or '02 or so.

It's still pretty Andy-Griffith compared to anything by Macfarlane and his imitators.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's this about Tiny Toons being killed by creepy nerds? I mean I'm sure you can find literally that on deviantart...

The Bible posted:

Did Roy ever get a full episode and how bad was it?

I don't know of one, but they definitely did give one note gag characters like ol' Gil and, probably, like, the Sea Captain or Luigi or something their own episodes that sucked pretty bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cubone posted:

I loving hated minerva mink. every time she showed up the show ground to a halt because she never did anything

Despite watching a shitload of Animaniacs as a kid I didn't even know she existed until hearing her mentioned in a thread like this a decade+ later.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Synopsis of the next upcoming episode

Guest starring Judy Blume as herself.

So, in the last couple of seasons, I there has been a Denmark episode, a New Orleans episode and now a Canada episode that are all rear end-kissing travelogues. Is Al Jean getting kickbacks from tourism boards?

The Denmark episode was the first late Simpsons I've watched in quite awhile and good lord was it awful. There were some good Simpsons go to a place episodes back in the day but in the past, like, 2 decades they've reliably been some of the worst episodes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Plan Z posted:

I watch the old episodes on Youtube, and it's more like these people find most throwaway jokes hilarious or enjoy a joke without really knowing what it's going for. Like you'll see people who think Krusty's "Me so solly" bit is just funny on its own, or "'If I ever stop loving cartoon violence, kill me,' AHAHA lol the best line in the whole show!!!!"

Reminds me of when I saw The Simpsons Movie. The theater was packed and by far the biggest laughs came from the spiderpig song and Homer being bounced back and fourth between a rock and a hard place.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the vendetta episode might have been the one that made me drop the show too. The Sideshow Bob episodes were generally still some of the good ones but that one was basically just another "The Simpsons go to a place" episode and the "vendetta! vendetta!" poo poo was remarkably terrible even by late Simpsons standards.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

The creators bitch a lot about Fox forcing them into 3 commercial breaks. Every episode for a few years now has had a minute-long denouement at the end, so they have to wrap up a minute early.

And I might feel for them if they didn't open every episode with the full credits and a 90-second stunt couch gag drawn by *spins Wheel of Animators* Genny Tartakovsky.

Is there a Gendy Tartakovsky couch gag? I'd watch the h%!k out of that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Frog Act posted:

I know this is old hat but I’ve been streaming season 30 in the background and in episode 11, Marge is trying to get Homer into some pants or something and her voice sounds so loving bad, like, wow. I went back and found a clip of grandma Bouvier from like season 3 or so 4 and it actually sounded better than contemporary Marge. They need to replace her with someone who can actually do the characters voice because she and Lenny are honestly unrecognizable, like, Bart and Lisa sound a little different but Julie Kavner sounds like an entirely different person and it’s jarring as gently caress

Behold, the ravages of age! (and doing the Marge voice for 3 decades, probably)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Plan Z posted:

That's always been a thing. They can't produce like $200 for an air conditioner, but Homer will slap down $1100 in cash for Itchy and Scratchy money.

I hate when "is poor" is an important/often referenced trait of main characters in comedies because the writers pretty much never follow through with it. Bob's Burgers is the worst for this. They're constantly referencing how they have no money, can't make rent and their tiny restaurant is perpetually empty, but at the same time they're plunking down money for $300 chef knives, expensive summer camps, high end drones and etc. I don't know why they even make them poor when they never do anything funny with it (which, to be fair, is pretty difficult) and it's a constant source of cognitive dissonance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Last Chance posted:

its also a cartoon

God forbid we discuss flaws of cartoons in this thread right.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Frog Act posted:

Roseanne is absolutely my favorite proletarian sitcom but I’m pretty sure Roseanne herself isn’t just racist when she’s on ambien, so much as she’s an insane right wing lunatic all the time, but just somehow hid it during the original show

Have you been to an old person's home in the last 10-15 years? They tend to play Fox news 18 hours a day and get radicalized. Maybe she always sucked but a lot of people in that age range have gotten markedly shittier since the 90s.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

Imagine trying to explain to kids that the Simpsons was once considered the greatest and most important thing to happen to television after they saw that. lol gently caress me...

Also those Super Eyepatch Wolf videos are real good but the dude always sounds like he's on the verge of breaking down into tears.

I think if you're not an always screaming youtuber you have to be an always on-the-verge-of-weeping youtuber. Try watching a video about Dark Souls lore, it's ridiculous.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I couldn't watch this for more than 6 seconds or so, but for some reason the way they've rendered their yelllowed-up skin colors here really bugs me. They look like a "flight" of artisinal mustards you'd get at a hoity-toity burger place.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Was the "Homer between a rock and a hard place" "joke" in the movie because thats the only other awful attempt at humour I can remember from the marketing.

I saw it on the opening weekend and the rock/hard place and spider pig jokes got by far the biggest laughs, which made me sad. The movie was alright but it's not a must see or anything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I've asked in this thread before if anyone has ever laughed at one of the chalkboard jokes. Well it finally happened. I was just watching classic Simpsons and, for the first time ever, I laughed at the chalkboard joke. Bart vs. Australia: "I will not hang donuts on my person". That's my story, thanks for reading.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Man. I thought Archer was great (haven't seen the latest season yet), and now I feel like I've just outed myself as some kind of dullard or reprobate

Honestly though I really loved the animation aspect of it and seeing how it and the signature Adam Reed machine-gun writing style developed from Sealab -> Frisky Dingo -> Archer. It really looked good with the techniques they were using, having a budget and all

I thought Archer was great but it has overstayed its welcome for the better part of a decade at this point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Patty and Selma are easy to distinguish. Now you show me which is Rod and which is Todd...

Todd is tiny, Rod is rangy. Todd is also their leader.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Bebe Bluff is literally every Jewish girl I’ve ever dated to a T you are out of your mind.

Have you never encountered a JAP before? In Philadelphia you can’t throw a snowball without hitting some spoiled rich girl from the suburbs who can’t wait to spend all of daddy’s money on you.

I dunno, she can be a spoiled rich girl without also being Jewish. Her dad read as a very WASPish corporate CEO type.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Daikloktos posted:

I've seen all 670+ episodes, and I have strong opinions about how the show is slightly more tolerable the past few seasons than it was a decade ago

I'd say the writing isn't the worst it has ever been (the animation might be the blandest, though), but Julie Kavner's vocal deterioration makes it maybe harder for me to watch anyway. Any time Marge talks it takes me right out the episode thinking "Oh dear that poor woman".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

you broke my grill posted:

Boomhauer and Luanne never dated she just decided she was gonna live with him and Boomhauer made her sleep on the couch

I remember when this episode was new they played an ad of Luanne kissing Boomhauer on the cheek and Hank bwaaahing at it every commercial break for a week. But yeah, there was no romance involved, Hank just freaks out because it's Boomhauer.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got a laugh at the sign on the dump in the new episode so that's something. "50,000 seagulls can't be wrong!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Bart Gets Emancipated Featuring Tony Hawk episode is when it moved into "officially bad" territory for me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

As soon as I read the description of this episode, a wave of inverse nostalgia washed over me.

quote:

Fifty years later, Homer is dead, and an elderly Nelson Muntz visits his grave to laugh at him.

lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

Guest stars always looked a little mismatched compared to regular characters, but the new designs look like they were created by the guest's image consultants.

I feel we should rastify Jimmy by 10% or so

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn post season 10 Simpsons has entirely too much Moe

Moe is only funny when they do the "Moe is a scumbag" angle but the later seasons lean really heavily into the "Moe is depressed/suicidal" angle.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Plan Z posted:

This showed up in my recommended after watching that intro that was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvGR1-70khU

The pedals on Homer's bike don't seem to be connected to anything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Junk posted:

The subplot with Bart buying a run down factory for $1 at a police forfeiture auction was an all time classic.

"Cool! What did I buy?"

The line about Grimes having an apartment above a bowling alley and underneath another bowling alley is just kind of a silly tossed off joke but it's still one of my favorites in the entire show.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

IMO, even in the "good" years of the Simpsons the characters are very often joke telling devices with little consideration paid to their consistency.

I remember an episode, "Kill the Alligator and Run", that actually felt like the death of the show as I recognised it. It was the first episode to my memory that had a combo of;

- Wildly sporadic plot that feels like a series of disconnected vignettes
- Characters not displaying any recognisable personality traits at all
- Weird novelty character as driving force for whole story
- Really weak, forced jokes
- Couldn't give less of a gently caress about the history/consistency of the world/springfield
- Characters not grappling with a moral, learning anything, thematic throughline etc.,
- Episode just ends out of nowhere

The "plot" was that the simpsons for some reason kill an alligator that is, for some reason, loved and cherished by the town. They then go on the run and become hillbillies for some reason and then are arrested and work on a chain gang and then it turns out the alligator didn't die and the episode ends.

This was season 11, so maybe there had been similar episodes before, but to me this was the first "different show wearing the Simpsons skin" moment. If I recall some of the writers even said it was the low point of the entire series.

It actually still has one good joke in it during the chain gang segment, though, so maybe it shouldn't count

Definitely one of the main episodes I remember thinking was poo poo as soon as it aired. It wasn't quite panda rape tier but it was close.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Marcus Elden posted:

Is this intentional?

In the episode where Marge starts the pretzel wagon and Skinner is held at gunpoint by the mafia, the voice from inside whispers "voting accident", althought I thought it was "boating accident" who then from nervousness says "boaking accident".

Listen close at 0:11 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIVEVYYUCQ

Has it always been "voting accident" and I just thought I heard "boating accident"?

Maybe "poking accident" since Marge is asking about his bandaged fingers? I dunno.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I definitely hear boaking. Boaking is dangerous after all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

i always heard it as "boating" and always thought it worked as a joke because who gets their fingers injured while on a boat?

Maybe :thejoke: but there are a huge number of ways to injure your fingers while boating.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can't wait for The Simpsons All Growed Up where Bart and Millhouse run a skate park together, Lisa is the deputy mayor, and Maggy does cosmetics demos on instantgram.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That was around the height of the reality show craze iirc, so yes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

quote:

She eventually admits she lied about her heritage, but is spared from prosecution when the other speakers admit they are not true Native Americans. Homer compares his daughter to CBS News in a reference to the 2004 Killian documents controversy. As they leave, Homer mentions that his great-great-grandmother actually was a Native American, much to Lisa's chagrin.

Yikes

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Well with Krusty the idea that a local TV clown could be some kind of elder statesman of showbiz is part of the joke, at least.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Make them watch the Tony Hawk episode. If they can't handle The Simpsons at its worst they don't deserve it at its best! (not really tho)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought subverting the cartoon trope of improbably covered nudity was a pretty good joke, but my enjoyment was tempered by the fact that I didn't particularly want to see Bat's dilz.

The other main things I remember from the movie was Homer calling that boob lady "Boob Lady" and that the audience absolutely loved that lovely "rock and a hard place" joke.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 12, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I know this discussion was awhile ago but I just realized that A Millhouse Divided is the perfect episode to show someone that has never seen The Simpsons.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

now i just get creepy ads for "CREATE YOUR OWN SIMPSON AND gently caress HIM" with a cgi nude homer that cycles through various dick options

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've always liked the goofy expressions Bart and Lisa pull in Itchy and Scratchy Land when they're trying to persuade Marge to go there.

It's wonky but charming.

As someone whose mom has taken them to multiple bird sanctuaries as a kid I always enjoyed that scene.