Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Bust Rodd posted:

I was listening to some comedy podcasts that basically said anyone who hangs with Simpson’s cast & crew just heard about how lovely it is now and nobody hangs out anymore and it’s basically at “we all hate each other” levels now.

Which podcasts, out of curiosity? I want to hear about this.

I also kinda want to listen to the audio commentary for the new seasons. The insights in the audio commentary for the 1-8 DVDs were usually interesting and funny, but what would they even have to say about the newer ones?

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

That face...

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

This is the only good part of that episode.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Where do these people come from?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Maybe we’ll at least get The Simpsons in Kingdom Hearts 4 out of it.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I like that they chose the worst of both worlds when it comes to keeping all the Disney characters on-model vs. adapting them to Simpsons-style.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs3bXmPVy-U

^Harry Shearer (and probably the whole cast at this point)

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Riptor posted:

nancy cartwright does these videos where she surprises people by doing the bart voice and they are all so astoundingly uncomfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_swo3LJo6MY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHOLqfTLxA

Wow, these are just sad.

“I couldn’t tell who was more excited, him or me.” lmao

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 17, 2022

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

This feels like a Clickhole video making fun of modern Simpsons.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

They should stop creating situations where Bart gets angry to the point of tears, because wow that doesn’t sound good.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Except for the episode where the moral message is “don’t pirate cable.”

Edit: Oh wait, maybe that’s season 2. Still.

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 4, 2022

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNtJKrUIPJo

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The last gag in Homer's Enemy just isn't funny enough to end on

Eh, I liked it. A nice final contrast of dumb sitcom humor (“CHANGE THE CHANNEL MARGE! *snore*”) and the grim reality of the situation (Grimes’ coffin getting lowered).

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

One of my favorite parts of “Homer’s Enemy” is how the factory subplot intersects with main plot. Just this offhand mention of Bart owning a factory, and Grimes takes it at face value and it just adds to his spitefulness.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

The “ewwww transpeople” bit in the early part of the episode is also pretty yikes.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, the implication was worse back then, now. what i find interesting is the GOP has been slinking back into the moral majority bullshit harder again, so lol if we see chuds ranting about cartoons again like the bad old days.

I mean, they already are, but instead of being mad about rude kids and innuendos, they’re mad about black or gay people existing in a cartoon.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Best Doug moment is when he punches Mr. Dink in the dick.

https://youtu.be/vl8JTGOtJ0Q

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I just imagine constant forced chuckles, or talking about completely unrelated topics.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, the Zorro rap during the movie credits was actually a decent gag.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Imagine being in that room full of Ivy League educated writers yelling “jokes” at each other and the TV screen.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

There are a lot of Season 8 episodes that have kinda “ehh” plots and premises, but there’s enough memorable one-off jokes that it’s easy to overlook. Season 9 was double the bad parts of Season 8, but still some good jokes. Then Season 10 is where the nosedive starts and where some truly awful trends begin (celebrities playing as themselves without self-deprecation, “The Simpsons are going to <blank>!”).

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I still quote “everything’s coming up Milhouse!” sometimes.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I’m surprised they haven’t at least used the voice actor + AI combination to try to make the actors sound like they used to, like they did with young Luke in The Mandalorian. They’ve got that Disney access now.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Love how everyone is just standing there all static and dead-eyed.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Webster’s dictionary defines Russia as…

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I mean, they’ve already done multiple transphobic episodes, so they’re definitely no strangers to it.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I also have a vivid, probably insane mental image of a Kingdom Hearts game where Homer gets along strangely well with Sora, Donald and Goofy, and also goes back-to-back with Flanders fighting off an entire horde of Heartless in an unnecessarily badass battle scene. And then thinks Luke Skywalker is Mark Hamill and decks an entire platoon of Stormtroopers thinking they're rowdy cosplayers, much to Luke's bemusement.

I legit hope Springfield is a world in the next game, because why not at this point?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Almost certainly going to be a very cursed Simpsons Sora. Lisa would probably still crush on him.

The Family Guys and the Futuramas went to Springfield without their designs changing, so I think it’s been canonically established that Springfield wouldn’t change their appearance the way other worlds do. 🤓

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, that was better than I expected. Nothing groundbreaking, but consistent and nothing monstrously bad like “Susan Boil.” Hope they keep it up at least at that level, but considering one of the upcoming episodes is called “Zapp Gets Cancelled”, I have strong doubts.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm vaguely aware of a TV show host from the 80s or early 90s licensed from and vaguely resembling King Koopa from the Mario games who had a banger theme song and looked like a pimp.

https://youtu.be/OtQ9BafnBik

The story behind that show is pretty wild.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

As always, Simpsons coming in swinging two years late.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

So people in Eugene marry their cousins?

Funnily enough, Springfield is the Shelbyville to Eugene’s Springfield.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess after poking around looking at the Simpsons driving games, I found The Simpsons Game from 2007 (largely unrelated to the Simpsons movie of 2007). I had no interest in trying to play an old and forgotten tie-in game, but since it was fully voice-acted, and seems to be a more elaborate game than Road Rage or Hit and Run, maybe it's something worth watching the cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsyt4gr0zGs

In summary, doesn't seem very good. Aside from the writing seeming generally weak and not bothering to put any more emotional side to the story to even out the gags, the game seems largely obsessed with making extremely contemporary videogame references. Marge is angry about the violence of the new game Grand Theft Scratchy, an EA executive bribes Mayor Quimby, Dr. Frink marries a Koopa, there's a boss fight against Will Wright, and during one section Bart and Lisa complain at length about the whole system of videogame marketing. The plot is about the Simpsons discovering that they are in a game and have videogame powers, and after some initial troublemaking in Springfield, the Simpsons have to confront first the makers of the game, then Matt Groening, and then god, to convince him to fix everything. God is a gamer though, so the Simpsons have to beat him in Dance Dance Revolution and then threaten to destroy his memory card, which upsets god because he still needs to finish Oblivion and doesn't want to have to start over.

I guess it's neat that Marge's gameplay is a lovely version of Pikmin.

I watched that out of curiosity a long time ago. I liked that they made Milhouse the King of All Cosmos, but yeah, it’s not great.

Making the lovely shoehorned-in guest star a boss battle is also a fun concept on paper, though probably not in the way they intended.

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 5, 2023

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I guess a new thing is to have characters perform lovely out-of-character stand-up routines. Pretty sure they did something like that with Mr. Burns recently too.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, that was one of the more relatable aspects of The Simpsons when I watched it as a kid. There were plenty of kids at school I would consider “bullies” one moment, but then the next we were playing games together. Social status didn’t really solidify until middle school.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of when Marge is shocked and also genuinely impressed at Homer's bootlegging operation, outright admitting it's the cleverest thing he's ever done, and while illegal it's only breaking a barely enforceable law that no one wanted or likes. She's even consistent on that point, and only changes her mind when the situation has changed and Homer's more genuinely at risk.

Like they joke about it but she's actually being genuinely sensible, pragmatic and reasonable, not just a nagging killjoy getting in the way.

That scene was great for that aspect, and also Homer, Marge, and Bart all together yelling at Lisa to go to her room.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF4-wQb3xA4

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I’m just surprised they didn’t call it “Nario Snart” or something.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

It’s weird how random parts of the new Simpsons are suddenly over-animated, but it still manages to look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1788932640365564047

Just saw it. It was bad but it was only 4 minutes long

The weird Disney + Simpsons art style is ugly as poo poo. The mouths bother me most.