Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeesh, those clips are like watching an old friend get tortured.
Simpsons doesn't exist after season 10 at the very max. For context, I think the Simpsons Go To Japan ep might be in season 10, so I include that because it still had a few funny gags left.

To add to this list, though, maybe the lowest point was when apparently Marge got breast implants?
I thought Maude's death was handled pretty badly, too. That was the real start of the end.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Geez, actually watching some of these clips like the China trip and Box Fort are making me seriously hate this show.

I have to actively cordon off my memories of the earlier seasons to keep them pristine.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pawn 17 posted:

Is it possible that The Simpsons has never been funny and the "golden years" were only good because we were kids when we watched them? :monocle:
No, watch them now, they're just as funny or funnier because you understand more jokes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Maybe the last season would have been more coherent if the election results weren't so crazy in the real world.
Ehhh, even so, they were really running gags thin every week with the same drat "jokes" like the member berries and the online trolling. Cartman being a bland "good-guy" was aggravating and the other main kids and Randy were barely in the season. I never want to see any of those episodes again and would prefer to think that they didn't even happen.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I literally cannot tell which ones are jokes
Same here. I feel like you could create a randomizer for Simpsons plots with enough seed Celebrity names and situations. Like maybe link it to a news aggregate for articles from ~2 years ago since that's how far behind trends they usually are due to animation time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OutOfPrint posted:

I turned on the last few minutes of a newer episode last night from 8:22 to 8:26. In those four minutes, Homer was kicked out of a helicopter onto a mysterious island, brought to an automated house. The guy who brought him to that house wiped his memory by hitting himself in the head with a shovel. Homer then entered the house using a line from 1989 (which was actually funny), met a billionaire, and was introduced to Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Ken Jennings, Susie Ormon, and another guy I can't remember with explanations of who they are. Each guest star got no more than 3 lines in that episode.

Homer and the rest of them were told by the billionaire that they were geniuses recruited to teach Sally, a class of robots, so that they could go to college. It then became clear that the billionaire's reason for doing this was so they would take out student loans, thus pumping up his stock. Homer went undercover to college to stop these robots dressed as what's her name from Grease, only to stop the robots by putting on a cardboard box and pretending to be a robot, triggering the robots with microaggressions until they exploded. The billionaire lamented that he made the robots too human, then it cut to the credits.

There is probably more stuff I either forgot or didn't catch.

All of this took place over four minutes.
STOP, STOP! HE'S ALREADY DEAD!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah. I mean it's so loving lifeless. And the single best bit is still Moe in the lie detector and any who says otherwise can go right to heck
Yeah, I'd say Moe lie detector might be the best, although Skinner's "steamed hams" meal with Superintendent Chalmers is way up there too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

It’s actually pretty outrageous how the stereotypical racist caricatures haven’t been slowly phased out
I guess it's alright because I'm part Italian, but I always get a kick out of the Italian restaurant guy and how he would immediately bad mouth his customers when yelling to his chef.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PostNouveau posted:

That was a solid gag they haven't done in, like, 15 years.
Good thing I stop at season 10. :regd13:

BTW, rewatching season 2 now and these episodes are real tear-jerkers. Absolutely top-notch writing, acting, and music. Also, there are some amazing shots here that needed serious storyboarding to pull off, something that modern Simpsons just bails on.

I checked out about 3 mins of a recent show and each cut was like 20-30 seconds long with digital zooms instead of changing backgrounds. The characters would just turn to face the camera if they needed to have a back-and-forth conversation. Super lazy.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 17, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just finished rewatching the poison fugu episode and when Homer fearfully blurts out to "Marge, I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!" and they have tears streaming down their faces, I'm like HOLY poo poo even while knowing he's obviously not dying. And then he reconnects with his dad and they say they love each other and he puts off his other bucket list items... and this is freakin' joke character Grandpa Simpson!

The actors actually gave a crap then too, which really helped sell the scenes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The episodes I'd recommend from Season 1 are:

1 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
Really solid, heartwarming episode where they introduce Santa's Little Helper.
2 - Bart the Genius
Some nice bonding scenes between Bart and Homer.
4 - There's No Disgrace Like Home
The episode where the family keeps shocking each other and paradoxically bonds over their dysfunction.
5 - Moaning Lisa
Great scene at the end where Marge tells Lisa to smile no matter how bad she's feeling, but when she sees Lisa's friends being little shits to her, immediately apologizes.
8 - The Telltale Head
Introduces a bunch of characters for the first time and shows that Bart has a conscience.
9 - Life on the Fast Lane
Great episode for Marge and Homer's relationship.
12 - Krusty Gets Busted
The origin for Sideshow Bob's obsession with killing Bart.

Basically, I'm a sucker for any tear-jerky scenes where the family realizes they love each other. It really flies in the face of George Bush complaining that he wished families were more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

porking a pork bun posted:

Homer Goes to College
I watched that one recently and while I love the opening skit where they hide Homer from the nuclear inspectors resulting in the amazing quote, "the bee bit my bottom and now my bottom's big," the rest of the episode seemed a bit too much... I dunno, the start of "Jerk-rear end Homer?"

He seemed a bit more malicious and uncaring about the nerds' predicament. Still a funny episode, but I was soured on the second half.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

season 9 was still funny, but it was definitely a change in tone. homer buying snake's car and destroying the murder home was really cartoony and wacky, and it just wasn't quite right.

like yeah episodes in season 10 you could still laugh at, season 11. . .but you definitely noticed something wasn't right. it lost it's Charm.
I used to think that Season 10 was the last acceptable season, but I remembered wrong. It's actually Season 9. I read up on the episode descriptions for 10 on Wikipedia and essentially grunted "ugh" at each one. They were just plain bad.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PostNouveau posted:

The longer clip is worse. For context, Marge has edited a beloved book from her childhood because she hasn't read it in decades, realized it was racist and is trying to reshape it into something Lisa will love.

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/983350019892891648
I'm at Season 8 of my rewatch of S1-9 of The (real) Simpsons, and this is like watching a necromancer reanimate a loved one's corpse to make them endorse Donald Trump.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Milo and POTUS posted:

when he scratched the bottom of the lasagna pan it made the unmistakable sound of metal on metal. Yet I would advise AGAINST putting metal in the microwave. are we to believe this is some sort of magic microwave
Holy crap, that's the exact same thought I had.
We goons really are the comic book nerds in that classic scene, right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DanAdamKOF posted:

There's an animation mistake where the lasagna is on top of the green desk mat as Wiggum crawls over it, then beside the desk mat when the viewing angle changes.
Agreed.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

houstonguy posted:

Good luck. I’ve tried twice, but it becomes soul-crushingly monotonous by around season 15. The golden age flies by, but then the number of laughs dwindles until you realize you haven’t laughed at all in like 40 episodes, and they’re revisiting plots they’ve already done like 3 or 4 times, and everyone sounds tired and the writing is so lazy.

Then you realize that you’re not even half way through the entire run yet and this poo poo is going to go on for another 300+ episodes.

Then you go watch something else.
I rewatched all of the beginning seasons over the last year. Stop at season 9. If you're adventurous, watch a handful of season 10 episodes, but almost all of that season is utter poo poo. The hippie one where Homer discovers his middle name and goes full-on jerkass to everyone around him made me really regret continuing that far.
Almost all of the plots are lazy recycles of earlier story beats as well. Like, Homer has a dumb idea to sell grease just like when he had an idea to sell sugar and Lisa has to deal with a new classmate voiced by a celebrity (both of these rehashed plots are in the same ep btw).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

And if you notice, right at the end, it was written by...

This dude!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SirPablo posted:

Why are people discussing SP?

Homer vs NYC was lovely.
The Mountain Dew / Crab Juice joke was a great burn, come on.
Also the "almost there" gag with the stick when he wants pizza and the whole "bathroom out of order" joke.

Actually, now that I think about it, the most memorable jokes (at least, to me) from that episode are all in the span of like a minute. The family touring NYC and the other stuff with Homer aren't as amazing as those 3 gags in the middle of the show.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 29, 2018

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

On an early seasons rewatch, I decided to wade into Season 10 a bit and stopped right at the episode where Homer finds out his middle name and becomes a hippie. That was the worst Homer had ever acted on the show so far, just complete rear end in a top hat to everyone.

I also think an earlier ep where Homer gets drunk and stares at Maude's cleavage, then tries to get out of marriage counseling and barely apologizes to Marge is pretty bad, as well.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When You Dish Upon a Star is the worst jerkass Homer and pointless celebrity guests up to that point.
Yeah, he was a pretty horrible person in that ep, just completely petty and bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Plan Z posted:

It won't go away from my recommended. I tried clicking through a few clips, and it really comes off as the type of sheltered nerd who has only really been around the same two dozen people just like him all his life. You can make arguments for and against Apu, but he makes a lot of the dumb ones for him pretty much based entirely on his views and experiences. The one clip I remember is like "I don't want anyone to be bullied, but you can only blame the bully, not the cartoon he uses to mock you," which is an argument I feel like anyone who wants to pass the fifth grade could take down.

I've been going through Talking Simpsons since you guys mentioned it and it's good. I got to one episode about Apu and they started talking about the Indian men who came to the US in the '70s and '80s and how that factored into Apu's character, even down to his name being indicative of someone typically living in southern India. Right or wrong, it's at least an interesting piece of it to hear versus the guy above trying to jump through any hoop he can to not even criticize The Simpsons or Apu.
Hotdiggitydemon's videos get recommended often and he always gives me the creeps. Like, there's always something a bit off about his parodies. He did one about Animal Crossing that was some weird ham-fisted criticism of communism that just didn't work at all. Plus he did a bunch of gross MLP cartoons.