Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
He could get hooked on jacking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

VendaGoat posted:

Stop, being, reasonable.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Just imagine how many avatars you could buy if you quit drinking

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

500 bad things posted:

Just imagine how many avatars you could buy if you quit drinking

I have an app on my phone called SoberTool or something. It keeps track of how much you would be spending on booze based on your habits. In one month, I saved hundreds of dollars. Mind you, this isn't going out to bars.

You guys should get the app and see how much money you are pouring into your liver. It's kind of eye opening.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have an app on my phone called SoberTool or something. It keeps track of how much you would be spending on booze based on your habits. In one month, I saved hundreds of dollars. Mind you, this isn't going out to bars.

You guys should get the app and see how much money you are pouring into your liver. It's kind of eye opening.

I spend approximately $55 on booze a month due to only buying bottom shelf liquor. :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OctoberBlues posted:

I spend approximately $55 on booze a month due to only buying bottom shelf liquor. :)

I was over $300 at least.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
There should be app like FitBit but with drinking. "You reached your daily goal, how many more beers can you drink?" "C'mon champ you can chug another before bed!"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im probably $300+.

gently caress it im getting a six pack its sunday and i got poo poo all to do.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

myDad posted:

There should be app like FitBit but with drinking. "You reached your daily goal, how many more beers can you drink?" "C'mon champ you can chug another before bed!"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

numberoneposter posted:

im probably $300+.

gently caress it im getting a six pack its sunday and i got poo poo all to do.

The superbowl is on so that can justify me getting an 18 pack. It will be gone by tomorrow.

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
How it Works

Also, be nice to yourself.

One technique for anxiety is just to pretend that whatever it is worrying you is definitely true, and how will you deal with it? Oh, she definitely killed herself and it's definitely my fault? Well, I'll probably find a therapist and talk about it and eventually believe it's not my fault or at least I won't kill myself too or whatever and someone will still love me one day. Oh, I definitely have AIDS/herpes/whatever? Well, people get AIDS. So I have AIDS now. So I take AIDS medicine and talk to other AIDS people about how AIDS sucks and one day I die from it but everyone dies from something eventually so whatever it's just AIDS.

Anxiety is brutal. If you live somewhere with affordable/accessible psychiatrists, speak to one. That said, it's basically impossible to diagnose someone in active addiction, and alcohol/drugs do not play nice with psych meds.

There's links in an E/N sticky about crisis helplines. Maybe bookmark them while you don't feel like using them. Anxiety can be more dangerous than depression. Depression suffocates you; anxiety attacks you.

---
Online AA meetings if you live somewhere that IRL AA is inconvenient. But if you just call your area's Intergroup usually someone is able to pick you up and drive you to a meeting.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

That doesn't look like anything to me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
AA is terrible. It literally says that you are a piece of poo poo and you have no control over your addiction and only god can help you.

SMART Recovery is good. It actually uses..... science. CBT mostly. It also works for literally anything. You have an addiction to loving lizards? Well, the SMART program still works.

I hate AA with a passion.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

... [I] have an addiction to loving lizards ...

Goondolences; have you tried the SMART Recovery program?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

How is anyone supposed to be sober after this loving football game? :(

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I cried at the end of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory today.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Last week, at a bar, I admitted to my buddy, who has an iPhone, that I'm an alcoholic.

YouTube has served me 90% beer/liquor commercials since.

Sometimes I hate the goddamned future.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

BirryJoru posted:

Last week, at a bar, I admitted to my buddy, who has an iPhone, that I'm an alcoholic.

YouTube has served me 90% beer/liquor commercials since.

Sometimes I hate the goddamned future.

If it makes you feel any better I had a hearty laugh over this

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

SMART Recovery is good. It actually uses..... science. CBT mostly. It also works for literally anything. You have an addiction to loving lizards? Well, the SMART program still works.

So you can get sober through Cock-and-Ball Torture? Well, I'll be...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Being super super poor helps a lot OP

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Ork of Fiction posted:

You call it Cock-and-Ball Torture, I call it science

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Hell, it stopped me from loving lizards

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

Oh yeah,

and my VA benefits are up for review a year early because I tried to get help but haven't followed through yet because I accidentally moved into this tax section 42 building populated with invalids, poors, and heroin dealers after being homeless for nearly a month and a half because I couldn't decide where I wanted to live and the new girl I was working with through management never does her job and I can't get a job because I almost make too much money to live here and

:psyduck:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ork of Fiction posted:

Well I guess we have different opinions on torture but yeah. It's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. poo poo works for some people.

edit:

myDad posted:

Hell, it stopped me from loving lizards

I was joking about the whole lizard loving thing. It's not a problem so there is no need for recovery.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BirryJoru posted:

Oh yeah,

and my VA benefits are up for review a year early because I tried to get help but haven't followed through yet because I accidentally moved into this tax section 42 building populated with invalids, poors, and heroin dealers after being homeless for nearly a month and a half because I couldn't decide where I wanted to live and the new girl I was working with through management never does her job and I can't get a job because I almost make too much money to live here and

:psyduck:

:stare:

Woah. Maybe you should settle down and have a beer man. Deep breaths.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
im super hungover

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Nonviolent J posted:

im super hungover

alright well maybe you've gotta put a goose egg on the scoreboard for yesterday but today's the start of a whole new you!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
sobriety would be easy if doctors weren't so stingy with the xanax

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

unpleasantly turgid posted:

Weed is better, but it comes with its own cons for sure.

Yeah like making you eat literally everything in sight causing you to become a fat piece of poo poo, oh and destroying short term memory. I haven't smoked in 3 weeks but still frequently forget what I was doing 5 seconds ago. It sucks.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Chlamyllionaire posted:

Sobriety gives me a migraine. You got anythin for that?

i get those for about 2 weeks after a period of heavy drinking. i haven't found anything to make them go away once they're started but sometimes i can prevent them by taking ibuprofen immediately when I feel one coming on. mine disappear completely after a couple weeks though

OctoberBlues posted:

I posted this in some other thread but last year I was thinking maybe I was drinking too much so I went three months with no alcohol/tobacco/weed and it did absolutely nothing. I didn't sleep better, I didn't lose weight, I didn't feel happier.

if you're drinking heavy it can take 6 months-a year to feel "normal", but if you're eating garbage/gaining weight/not exercising you're going to feel like poo poo anyway.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Isn't there a simple potion you mix into your booze that makes you never want to drink it again? Get thee op to a wizard !

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i dunno i kind of stopped caring about drinking at all OP, try that I guess. though ironically i feel like its actually a sign of depression. ive never "had depression" though so i really dont know.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: ^^^ Swear to god, along with what I said below, that was one one of the reasons I stopped then. I was just too loving depressed to drink. Although now I'm too depressed to stop. Meds might finally be kicking in though so I'll try stopping in a day or so again.

The last time I quit (before I got Naltrexone), my biggest motivator was coming out of the shower and seeing myself in a mirror and getting even more depressed seeing a fat piece of poo poo. During the month when I didn't drink my face immediately thinned out and I lost a few pounds.

I suggest looking at your sad disgusting amorphous body in a mirror. It can't hurt!

Well, you can just drink right through the sadness and not give a poo poo. It can hurt, but it works!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Try hanging out with drunk people while completely sober. If that doesn't make you not wanna drink, I don't know what will.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

edit: ^^^ Swear to god, along with what I said below, that was one one of the reasons I stopped then. I was just too loving depressed to drink. Although now I'm too depressed to stop. Meds might finally be kicking in though so I'll try stopping in a day or so again.

The last time I quit (before I got Naltrexone), my biggest motivator was coming out of the shower and seeing myself in a mirror and getting even more depressed seeing a fat piece of poo poo. During the month when I didn't drink my face immediately thinned out and I lost a few pounds.

I suggest looking at your sad disgusting amorphous body in a mirror. It can't hurt!

Well, you can just drink right through the sadness and not give a poo poo. It can hurt, but it works!

For me the effect runs the opposite direction - in my heaviest years of drinking I shed weight to the point of being unhealthily underweight. Took a while after quitting to get up to a normal weight again afterward.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Corby Haas posted:

How it Works

Also, be nice to yourself.

One technique for anxiety is just to pretend that whatever it is worrying you is definitely true, and how will you deal with it? Oh, she definitely killed herself and it's definitely my fault? Well, I'll probably find a therapist and talk about it and eventually believe it's not my fault or at least I won't kill myself too or whatever and someone will still love me one day. Oh, I definitely have AIDS/herpes/whatever? Well, people get AIDS. So I have AIDS now. So I take AIDS medicine and talk to other AIDS people about how AIDS sucks and one day I die from it but everyone dies from something eventually so whatever it's just AIDS.

Anxiety is brutal. If you live somewhere with affordable/accessible psychiatrists, speak to one. That said, it's basically impossible to diagnose someone in active addiction, and alcohol/drugs do not play nice with psych meds.

There's links in an E/N sticky about crisis helplines. Maybe bookmark them while you don't feel like using them. Anxiety can be more dangerous than depression. Depression suffocates you; anxiety attacks you.

---
Online AA meetings if you live somewhere that IRL AA is inconvenient. But if you just call your area's Intergroup usually someone is able to pick you up and drive you to a meeting.

In all honesty I've been cutting back on my drinking due to the fact that my shrink is recommending AA meetings. I'm actually wondering if i should stop seeing him since he seems bent on recommending this loving cult as a solution to my problems.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I have it on good authority that "weed is not a drug" OP, so maybe you can start there

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

skeletonotherkin posted:

In all honesty I've been cutting back on my drinking due to the fact that my shrink is recommending AA meetings. I'm actually wondering if i should stop seeing him since he seems bent on recommending this loving cult as a solution to my problems.

He might not know any better - no telling how much experience he has in dealing with recovery issues. AA has been so successful in terms of capturing the public imagination as the go-to for recovery that it might have been largely unconscious on his part. I'd do some searches in your area and see if there are any other alternatives available locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I ususally just go sober for a month's time here and there whenever i feel like i'm becoming an alcoholic

it sucks and isn't worth it, but i do get to act smug and superior to other alcoholics

also since trump's become "president" i can't muster to courage to be sober

• Locked thread