Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

A misanthrope posted:

lol see the joke is he wont help you at all :twisted:

who is the god of weed?!

it's me :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i need this...entity...to tell me to stop so i can stop please *slurps milk stout*

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
im drunk right now so i'll do my usual drunk guy thing. dont worry i dont ask for sex or bum cigs i just want to leave the country

*looks around bar for people wearing hockey jerseys

there any canada goons here who can get me a canada green card???

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

A misanthrope posted:

im drunk right now so i'll do my usual drunk guy thing. dont worry i dont ask for sex or bum cigs i just want to leave the country

*looks around bar for people wearing hockey jerseys

there any canada goons here who can get me a canada green card???

are you a god and can you urge me to get my life together

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i have worked in a newsroom for 9 years so i can report on beaver populations or whatever and try to make myself useful

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
there is a power in your heart not dependent on anything outside of you. touch your heart, and you can choose to encounter whatever it is you are avoiding by drinking. this is painful, but less painful than the suffering you cause yourself both by avoiding, and by drinking.

if that's not enough, remember that many people in the world right now, and many people who once lived, hold you in their heart in compassion and wish well for you. that compassion is a tool they offer to you freely. you do not have to feel embarrassed to take advantage of it.

when your own energy is low, you can draw on this infinite well of compassion to sustain you.

you are not alone. the buddha was a very famous person who extended an infinite compassion to all suffering beings, but he was not the only one; probably the hearts that reach out to you are countless, from all times and places. there is always help if you are courageous enough to ask for it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

nomadologique posted:

there is a power in your heart not dependent on anything outside of you. touch your heart, and you can choose to encounter whatever it is you are avoiding by drinking. this is painful, but less painful than the suffering you cause yourself both by avoiding, and by drinking.

if that's not enough, remember that many people in the world right now, and many people who once lived, hold you in their heart in compassion and wish well for you. that compassion is a tool they offer to you freely. you do not have to feel embarrassed to take advantage of it.

when your own energy is low, you can draw on this infinite well of compassion to sustain you.

you are not alone. the buddha was a very famous person who extended an infinite compassion to all suffering beings, but he was not the only one; probably the hearts that reach out to you are countless, from all times and places. there is always help if you are courageous enough to ask for it.

:goonsay:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I think I heard in a tv show once that ppl tend to worship the thing that scares them the most, so maybe the god you gotta look out for is the reality of your lovely life?

e:fb

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

nomadologique posted:

what if the thing you're encountering is late stage capitalism that's ruining the human race and the world at large and can't be resolved by anyone

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

zh1 posted:

sorry no true happiness is actually doing the opposite of getting your life together. by that i mean have you considered not living at all?

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
does anyone have a platitude for that

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

zh1 posted:

suicide is painless

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

zh1 posted:

what if the thing you're encountering is late stage capitalism that's ruining the human race and the world at large and can't be resolved by anyone

there is no resolution to the causes of suffering. you can only change your attitude toward them.

there are ten causes of suffering, according to the buddha, and the last three are non-negotiable: sickness, old age, and death.

our society cannot accept any of these three. capitalism is a great engine designed to deny them.

although your immediate material conditions are heavily regulated by this system and its desires, you have a space for freedom, both within you, and within your community. it is up to you to embrace your suffering, and to find the unlimited compassion that lives inside you, wanting to be free.

you do not need a god to quit drinking, although if you want one, they are available. it is enough to have compassion for yourself, and to see yourself unblinkingly, to begin to change these things that hurt you.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

nomadologique posted:

there is no resolution to the causes of suffering. you can only change your attitude toward them.

there are ten causes of suffering, according to the buddha, and the last three are non-negotiable: sickness, old age, and death.

our society cannot accept any of these three. capitalism is a great engine designed to deny them.

although your immediate material conditions are heavily regulated by this system and its desires, you have a space for freedom, both within you, and within your community. it is up to you to embrace your suffering, and to find the unlimited compassion that lives inside you, wanting to be free.

you do not need a god to quit drinking, although if you want one, they are available. it is enough to have compassion for yourself, and to see yourself unblinkingly, to begin to change these things that hurt you.

fffffffffuuuuuucccckkkkk yyoooooouuuuuuuuu

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

okay :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

zh1 posted:

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
*alcoholic lies dying as cirrhosis destroys his liver finally* man if only i'd heard "man who catches fly with chopsticks can do anything" a year earlier...errrgghhh...

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

zh1 posted:

i've been drinking to excess and can't seem to stop myself...goons, tell me a god to make up so he or she can tell me to stop tia

There's a different kind of g.o.d. that might suit you, and that's "group of (ex) drunks."

See if there are any atheist/agnostic AA groups in your area and try going to some meetings.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

He'll just reincarnate tho.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
what my life always needed...was some soupy facile mysticism...

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

zh1 posted:

what my life always needed...was some soupy facile mysticism...

I was sincere when I suggested what worked for me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zh1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW9PvYYH9lA

zh1 posted:

:respek:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Between the 11th and now have only drank once on the 18th and it sucked.

Anxiety has gone way down since stopping, just have to keep it up

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nonviolent J posted:

Between the 11th and now have only drank once on the 18th and it sucked.

Anxiety has gone way down since stopping, just have to keep it up

Have you decided how you're going to do it?

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
No one can call you an alcoholic except yourself. Some phrases we use to self-identify include "restless, irritable, and discontent", "childish, grandiose, and emotionally sensitive", or, more colloquially, "the piece of poo poo at the center of the universe".

If you're an alcoholic, you have a progressive illness. It doesn't get better; it only gets worse.

AA is supposed to work on the principle of attraction rather than promotion, so I'll talk about myself.

Since coming to the fellowship 547 days ago, I have been sober for 547 days. My mental illness is properly diagnosed, medicated, and managed. I no longer spend the entire day with my fists clenched in anger, mind numbed by rage. I'm able to answer my phone, call people, and send and respond to text messages and emails. I was gainfully employed for nine months and when I needed to make a decision to leave that job I had the life experience of many well-adjusted people to draw from and assist my decision. I have fallen in love and endured a broken heart without drinking. I have the "best possible relationship" with my family, which definitely isn't roses and butterflies but it's civil interaction with more clearly defined and firmly defended boundaries. I have acquired a god of my own understanding who is a personal god, whose only job is to take care of me. I'm developing a strong sense of self-esteem as well as a strong sense of humility, which I describe as "an accurate self-assessment" ie humility is not the same thing as self-hate. I am, as the literature promises, "happy, joyous, and free" more than half of the time. I have feelings again and can identify most of them. I am able to be sad whereas before I couldn't face any amount of adversity without drinking. At four months of sobriety, my sponsor helped me face down some demons that had been haunting me for a decade. I have brushed my teeth every day but one for 547 days.

If anything at all about the program makes you hesitant (God, etc), the third tradition states that "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I passionately hate AA for a few reasons but I'm aware it can help some people. It's not only the god thing, which is literally the Christian god but they just tack on at the end that "whatever you think god is". But no really it's the Christian god. Just look at the AA prayer books. Also the completely berating idea that I'm worthless and only some supernatural thing (whatever I want it to be) can help.

Good for you that it worked so well. Seriously.

Last time I was in the VA hospital (over one year now of not being hospitalized, new record!) I had an option of doing a 6 week inpatient program for alcohol since that's obviously a huge issue as well (a lot more freedom than the, well, the locked down ward) and it took me days to decide to finally go after finding out the whole program is based on AA. The guy just literally told me to ignore everything and fake it. Wow, well that's helpful. Then when I was about to transfer to the other ward, at the last minute, I had my gear set to to, the guy said I couldn't because I didn't go to enough meetings on the locked down ward. I walked out on the alcohol meetings after the whole "I'm powerless and only a god can help me." gently caress you, no one can help me but me. Well, also I didn't do the general mental health meetings because those grown adult assholes just wanted to talk about themselves and how the VA wasn't helping their little stupid problems that had nothing to do with any of the meetings and they'd derail the whole meeting. Seriously, there was a meeting on medications and everyone just wanted to complain about the food or some other dumb thing, so I just stopped going to them. Seeing a bunch of older "tough" vets bitching about completely unrelated and inconsequential bullshit was infuriating and something I couldn't handle in a locked down environment.

I really should consider it again though. They have an intensive outpatient program but I'm not driving to Milwaukee 3 times a week or whatever. Plus I have a house to take care of and 6 weeks is quite a long time to have someone else watch it.

For on my own, I really like the SMART Recovery program but I guess it doesn't work at all when you don't do any of the homework.

I hate everything.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 21, 2017

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Corby Haas posted:

No one can call you an alcoholic except yourself. Some phrases we use to self-identify include "restless, irritable, and discontent", "childish, grandiose, and emotionally sensitive", or, more colloquially, "the piece of poo poo at the center of the universe".

If you're an alcoholic, you have a progressive illness. It doesn't get better; it only gets worse.

AA is supposed to work on the principle of attraction rather than promotion, so I'll talk about myself.

Since coming to the fellowship 547 days ago, I have been sober for 547 days. My mental illness is properly diagnosed, medicated, and managed. I no longer spend the entire day with my fists clenched in anger, mind numbed by rage. I'm able to answer my phone, call people, and send and respond to text messages and emails. I was gainfully employed for nine months and when I needed to make a decision to leave that job I had the life experience of many well-adjusted people to draw from and assist my decision. I have fallen in love and endured a broken heart without drinking. I have the "best possible relationship" with my family, which definitely isn't roses and butterflies but it's civil interaction with more clearly defined and firmly defended boundaries. I have acquired a god of my own understanding who is a personal god, whose only job is to take care of me. I'm developing a strong sense of self-esteem as well as a strong sense of humility, which I describe as "an accurate self-assessment" ie humility is not the same thing as self-hate. I am, as the literature promises, "happy, joyous, and free" more than half of the time. I have feelings again and can identify most of them. I am able to be sad whereas before I couldn't face any amount of adversity without drinking. At four months of sobriety, my sponsor helped me face down some demons that had been haunting me for a decade. I have brushed my teeth every day but one for 547 days.

If anything at all about the program makes you hesitant (God, etc), the third tradition states that "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

awesome.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I passionately hate AA for a few reasons but I'm aware it can help some people. It's not only the god thing, which is literally the Christian god but they just tack on at the end that "whatever you think god is". But no really it's the Christian god. Just look at the AA prayer books. Also the completely berating idea that I'm worthless and only some supernatural thing (whatever I want it to be) can help.

Good for you that it worked so well. Seriously.

Last time I was in the VA hospital (over one year now of not being hospitalized, new record!) I had an option of doing a 6 week inpatient program for alcohol since that's obviously a huge issue as well (a lot more freedom than the, well, the locked down ward) and it took me days to decide to finally go after finding out the whole program is based on AA. The guy just literally told me to ignore everything and fake it. Wow, well that's helpful. Then when I was about to transfer to the other ward, at the last minute, I had my gear set to to, the guy said I couldn't because I didn't go to enough meetings on the locked down ward. I walked out on the alcohol meetings after the whole "I'm powerless and only a god can help me." gently caress you, no one can help me but me. Well, also I didn't do the general mental health meetings because those grown adult assholes just wanted to talk about themselves and how the VA wasn't helping their little stupid problems that had nothing to do with any of the meetings and they'd derail the whole meeting. Seriously, there was a meeting on medications and everyone just wanted to complain about the food or some other dumb thing, so I just stopped going to them. Seeing a bunch of older "tough" vets bitching about completely unrelated and inconsequential bullshit was infuriating and something I couldn't handle in a locked down environment.

I really should consider it again though. They have an intensive outpatient program but I'm not driving to Milwaukee 3 times a week or whatever. Plus I have a house to take care of and 6 weeks is quite a long time to have someone else watch it.

For on my own, I really like the SMART Recovery program but I guess it doesn't work at all when you don't do any of the homework.

I hate everything.

Been there. Keep your chin up and take your meds. Keep trying to interact with the world, it really does get better with time. Or not. Whatever. I just hit 4 years of sobriety and your post literally sounded like the first year of it. Like, VA flight deck and all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Been there. Keep your chin up and take your meds. Keep trying to interact with the world, it really does get better with time. Or not. Whatever. I just hit 4 years of sobriety and your post literally sounded like the first year of it. Like, VA flight deck and all.

:smith::respek::unsmith:

Thx bud. Sounds like you're doing great. That's inspiring. Keep it up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I hope that everything works out ok for the alcoholic goons. Imo nobody deserves to have their life ruled by a chemical compound.

I like to drink a lot and i'm glad I never got physically dependent on it. Hopefully I won't in the future either, but, who knows?

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't go that far, it's probably just that I've had more time. I think the biggest step was just realizing that everything I felt after the army and Iraq was not actually unique, special or even unexpected. I eventually took solace in understanding that plenty had gone down this road and made it. A lot of old friends did and more than a few ended it how they saw fit. Ultimately it's just life and people probably understand more about what you're going through than you want to believe right now. Whatever happens, you're not alone in what you've done and what you're going through.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Also, TMI, but that wasn't my first rodeo at the VA. Or like.... 10th. Seriously. :( All mental health related (bipolar, anxiety, suicide, etc). I forgot about it but when I lived in Seattle I did a 6 week thing in Tacoma and that was awesome. We got to leave the compound and everything and I didn't even want to drink. That was my longest bout of sobriety since I was 19. Naturally when I left it fell apart immediately. I probably said it already but drinking is literally the worst thing you can do if you are bipolar. poo poo I really gotta get on top of this ASAP.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 21, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Mabe i'm just drunk but i'm tearin' up right now

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Mabe i'm just drunk but i'm tearin' up right now

Let it out man. We're all friends here. :glomp:

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did the inpatient thing a few times as well. Getting sober was the single most important thing I did. It was hell and for what it's worth I'm in your neck of the woods. Did white city myself. The VA ultimately wasn't what got through to me. Jail, losing my family and a pair of very lucky suicide attempts finally did. That and a lot of psychotropics. As I'm sure you've dealt with, going on field trips to grocery stores was about when I started realizing I really wasn't in touch with reality anymore.

Edit:come to think of it, all the mushrooms and lsd weren't helping either!

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 21, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Trying again tonight to break the cycle by at least a day. I feel terrible already and it hasn't even been 24 hours. Although now I can take my prescribed klonopin to help out with withdrawals and also because the reason I take them is the exact same loving reason I drink. Go figure. Well besides the "fun" part of drinking. I surprisingly don't take them when I drink because that could be bad. Well, even though all of the drinking on it's own is bad.

Oh well. Here's another attempt.

Huh, sometimes I like you goon rapscallions. You're nice and understanding sometimes.

xoxoxoxoxo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Day 1 down and am on day 2. I feel like poo poo and everything sucks.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Day 1 down and am on day 2. I feel like poo poo and everything sucks.

try AA and maybe GOD will help you, otherwise you are hosed, OP

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't believe in either. I'll have to use my severe hatred of myself. That's a good fallback plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Good Luck Penny!

• Locked thread