Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been drinking every day for the past month or so (on and off for 15 years). I get my meds through the mail and the VA hosed up my naltrexone refill twice in a row so I was off of it for 3 weeks. I started taking it maybe 2 months ago and was able to stop for almost a month even though the meds make me sick and tired. Since I mainly use alcohol to self-medicate, that sober month wasn't that great but definitely better than being drunk all the time. Well, I was able to start comprehending that Trump was president and being constantly anxious, furious, and dumbfounded wasn't very fun. But I guess not drinking is better than being useless all day every day.

Basically, drinking is fun. Drinking every day when the single worst thing for bipolar is to drink isn't good. I wouldn't recommend it.

I say that as I am drinking beer this very moment. :smith:

edit: lydia chlamydia has some good advice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It really depends on the game. FPSs that don't require much thinking are fine. Strategy or simulation games, not so much. If I really feel like playing Medieval II Total War, then I'll label the save game as "drunk" meaning I don't really give a gently caress how it turns out. Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars is a great drunk game. It takes like 15 seconds to reload so I can fire a round and then take a swig of beer.

Basically, anything that requires thinking and has consequences that can gently caress up the rest of your game are bad. Dumb games are good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

VendaGoat posted:

Stop, being, reasonable.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

500 bad things posted:

Just imagine how many avatars you could buy if you quit drinking

I have an app on my phone called SoberTool or something. It keeps track of how much you would be spending on booze based on your habits. In one month, I saved hundreds of dollars. Mind you, this isn't going out to bars.

You guys should get the app and see how much money you are pouring into your liver. It's kind of eye opening.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OctoberBlues posted:

I spend approximately $55 on booze a month due to only buying bottom shelf liquor. :)

I was over $300 at least.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

numberoneposter posted:

im probably $300+.

gently caress it im getting a six pack its sunday and i got poo poo all to do.

The superbowl is on so that can justify me getting an 18 pack. It will be gone by tomorrow.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
AA is terrible. It literally says that you are a piece of poo poo and you have no control over your addiction and only god can help you.

SMART Recovery is good. It actually uses..... science. CBT mostly. It also works for literally anything. You have an addiction to loving lizards? Well, the SMART program still works.

I hate AA with a passion.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ork of Fiction posted:

So you can get sober through Cock-and-Ball Torture? Well, I'll be...

Well I guess we have different opinions on torture but yeah. It's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. poo poo works for some people.

edit:

myDad posted:

Hell, it stopped me from loving lizards

I was joking about the whole lizard loving thing. It's not a problem so there is no need for recovery.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BirryJoru posted:

Oh yeah,

and my VA benefits are up for review a year early because I tried to get help but haven't followed through yet because I accidentally moved into this tax section 42 building populated with invalids, poors, and heroin dealers after being homeless for nearly a month and a half because I couldn't decide where I wanted to live and the new girl I was working with through management never does her job and I can't get a job because I almost make too much money to live here and

:psyduck:

:stare:

Woah. Maybe you should settle down and have a beer man. Deep breaths.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: ^^^ Swear to god, along with what I said below, that was one one of the reasons I stopped then. I was just too loving depressed to drink. Although now I'm too depressed to stop. Meds might finally be kicking in though so I'll try stopping in a day or so again.

The last time I quit (before I got Naltrexone), my biggest motivator was coming out of the shower and seeing myself in a mirror and getting even more depressed seeing a fat piece of poo poo. During the month when I didn't drink my face immediately thinned out and I lost a few pounds.

I suggest looking at your sad disgusting amorphous body in a mirror. It can't hurt!

Well, you can just drink right through the sadness and not give a poo poo. It can hurt, but it works!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

tiltposter posted:

actually i drink to do the opposite

:smith::hf::smith:

Was up to 16-18 a day. Attempting to stop tomorrow (well today, can't loving sleep).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Lookie what I just found.

It's hard to describe. It's very..... thready I guess. And those threads taste like poo poo.

(it's not bad)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Same. :smith:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nonviolent J posted:

Not drinking tonight

Feel hollow

Same. Trying again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Same. Trying again.

Ok now I have to stop today. I have a doctor thing on Monday and I have one beer left to help out tonight. It must be done.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok now I have to stop today. I have a doctor thing on Monday and I have one beer left to help out tonight. It must be done.

Maybe I should make it 6 so I don't get shakey and sick and my body temp doesn't regulate correctly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok today is the day. Yay!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ra tehuti posted:

stop wading around and jump off the deep end already.

It actually has to be today. I have a diet restriction until Monday. One day should break the cycle. Good excuse to stop and keep it up.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ra tehuti posted:

not even court is stopping me from drinking.

:smith:

Do you want to stop?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well poo poo..... :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Beer tastes better (besides a 12 year single malt), it's cheap, and it makes me feel better always having something in my hand. If I drank liquor as fast as I drink beer then I'd be dead in a few hours.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You can still get fat, just not so bloated. There are a lot of calories in hard alcohol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nonviolent J posted:

Day 2 no beer, having vitamins and trying to improve my life

Hell yeah. Day 1 here. :respek:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's probably severely hurting someone. Namely himself. Well, and possibly people he knows.

If you're drinking as much as we all probably are, well, you probably shouldn't. I like it. But I also hate it. The whole situation kinda sucks.

I'm actually looking forward to these 2 days of not drinking. Unless something horrible happens, otherwise I should get back to working on managing my other brain problems.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 13, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Alcohol sales stop soon.

1 day down. I'm still alive I guess.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, I had a medical procedure yesterday and ended up drinking anyway.

This poo poo sucks.

Maybe I need to find a god to make me stop because I'm a worthless piece of poo poo and powerless. :ohdear:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I am actually lucky enough to have two face to face SMART meetings in my area. I just don't go. I did an online meeting though last night.

Ah well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zh1 posted:

are you a god and can you urge me to get my life together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW9PvYYH9lA

zh1 posted:

what if the thing you're encountering is late stage capitalism that's ruining the human race and the world at large and can't be resolved by anyone

:respek:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I passionately hate AA for a few reasons but I'm aware it can help some people. It's not only the god thing, which is literally the Christian god but they just tack on at the end that "whatever you think god is". But no really it's the Christian god. Just look at the AA prayer books. Also the completely berating idea that I'm worthless and only some supernatural thing (whatever I want it to be) can help.

Good for you that it worked so well. Seriously.

Last time I was in the VA hospital (over one year now of not being hospitalized, new record!) I had an option of doing a 6 week inpatient program for alcohol since that's obviously a huge issue as well (a lot more freedom than the, well, the locked down ward) and it took me days to decide to finally go after finding out the whole program is based on AA. The guy just literally told me to ignore everything and fake it. Wow, well that's helpful. Then when I was about to transfer to the other ward, at the last minute, I had my gear set to to, the guy said I couldn't because I didn't go to enough meetings on the locked down ward. I walked out on the alcohol meetings after the whole "I'm powerless and only a god can help me." gently caress you, no one can help me but me. Well, also I didn't do the general mental health meetings because those grown adult assholes just wanted to talk about themselves and how the VA wasn't helping their little stupid problems that had nothing to do with any of the meetings and they'd derail the whole meeting. Seriously, there was a meeting on medications and everyone just wanted to complain about the food or some other dumb thing, so I just stopped going to them. Seeing a bunch of older "tough" vets bitching about completely unrelated and inconsequential bullshit was infuriating and something I couldn't handle in a locked down environment.

I really should consider it again though. They have an intensive outpatient program but I'm not driving to Milwaukee 3 times a week or whatever. Plus I have a house to take care of and 6 weeks is quite a long time to have someone else watch it.

For on my own, I really like the SMART Recovery program but I guess it doesn't work at all when you don't do any of the homework.

I hate everything.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Been there. Keep your chin up and take your meds. Keep trying to interact with the world, it really does get better with time. Or not. Whatever. I just hit 4 years of sobriety and your post literally sounded like the first year of it. Like, VA flight deck and all.

:smith::respek::unsmith:

Thx bud. Sounds like you're doing great. That's inspiring. Keep it up.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Also, TMI, but that wasn't my first rodeo at the VA. Or like.... 10th. Seriously. :( All mental health related (bipolar, anxiety, suicide, etc). I forgot about it but when I lived in Seattle I did a 6 week thing in Tacoma and that was awesome. We got to leave the compound and everything and I didn't even want to drink. That was my longest bout of sobriety since I was 19. Naturally when I left it fell apart immediately. I probably said it already but drinking is literally the worst thing you can do if you are bipolar. poo poo I really gotta get on top of this ASAP.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 21, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Mabe i'm just drunk but i'm tearin' up right now

Let it out man. We're all friends here. :glomp:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Trying again tonight to break the cycle by at least a day. I feel terrible already and it hasn't even been 24 hours. Although now I can take my prescribed klonopin to help out with withdrawals and also because the reason I take them is the exact same loving reason I drink. Go figure. Well besides the "fun" part of drinking. I surprisingly don't take them when I drink because that could be bad. Well, even though all of the drinking on it's own is bad.

Oh well. Here's another attempt.

Huh, sometimes I like you goon rapscallions. You're nice and understanding sometimes.

xoxoxoxoxo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Day 1 down and am on day 2. I feel like poo poo and everything sucks.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't believe in either. I'll have to use my severe hatred of myself. That's a good fallback plan.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Professor Shark posted:

Good Luck Penny!

:glomp:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Oscar Wild posted:

I live in Oregon but weed helps tremendously for me. I went from drinking daily to almost 0 cravings.

It's just substitution but it worked for me.

I literally just got back from my friend's with some to help. I do have a problem with anxiety and weed though but the klonopin should help.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hang in there. If you have to, force yourself to eat. Soup was handy for me. Letting yourself get dehydrated and malnourished is not going to help anything.

Thanks man. I had a doctor appt today so I quickly stopped on my way home to get something. I'm not hungry at all of course now and eating is going to be a big issue anyway. My therapist today even suggested I have one of those food delivery services to send at least one meal a day to make sure I get something. I drink probably over a gallon of water a day so I'm fine in that department and now that I'm actually taking my prescribed klonopin (I don't gently caress with drinking and that) I'm constantly thirsty so I should be fine in the hydration department.

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah, force yourself to eat like you would if you were sick. Soups, Gatorade, etc.

How you doing buddy, day 2 is almost over!

Thanks homie. I'm doing ok so far but I slept most of the day. It usually gets bad after I've been awake for a while. I'm getting the cold sweats though and they are really bad this time. I wake up, my clothes are soaked and I'm shivering like crazy. Then I'm hot after changing. :argh:. The 3rd day is usually the worst for me I think. Again though, the klonopin is helping since they literally use benzos to help people with withdrawals.

500 good dogs posted:

weed makes me dumber and makes thinking about anxiety poo poo all the time happen less, but if I start thinking about it like right now I can get locked in to thinking about it until something compelling distracts me (edit: like trying to finish a forum post). so for me it's like going from constant anxiety to only anxious 20% of the time but when I am it's double intensity.

also Ativan doesn't do much for me either, except with my normal fears. like I needed to fix something on the roof during a storm and I'm a baby when it comes to heights, so a random Ativan we had helped me not freak out climbing into the second story slanted roof to fix it.

I need to be doing something that engages my mind with weed too. Otherwise my mind will start racing and going into completely unnecessary places. The only time I've taken ativan is when I was in the hospital and they were worried about me detoxing.

You guys are all pretty cool in my book. I appreciate it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

King Possum III posted:

PTF, do you have any hobbies you enjoy? Hobbies have been helpful for dealing with my severe depression, and provide a distraction when my moods and thoughts head into dangerously dark places. For this approach, anything that occupies the mind will work.

Anyway, it works for me. Good luck to you.

Well I'm bipolar too so I jump from hobby to hobby all the time. But I haven't been doing anything lately. I found a box of rockets and models in my basement and might have a look at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What if you don't have a Christian soul? :ohdear:

• Locked thread