Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've quit drinking pretty much completely over the past month, mostly because I started an antidepressant that has helped a lot with my daily anxiety, and that I had reached a point where alcohol wasn't making me feel anything other than nauseous. I started drinking a couple days a week, then just once a week, and now I've run out and I don't have any desire to buy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If you're honestly drinking to self medicate it's way easier to treat the underlying problems and then quit drinking. I finally found an antidepressant that is doing its job and since then I haven't felt that pressure to get drunk in order to feel any kind of relaxation in the evening. I didn't even really have to try to quit drinking, and I haven't had more than a small glass of wine in the past two or three months. Just the thought of getting drunk again seems pretty miserable.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah but be careful because several of the antidepressant drugs they prescribe can gently caress you up if you drink on them.

I've drank on SSRIs, NDRIs, atypical antidepressants, antipsycotics and stimulants. The only one that really made much of a difference was Effexor, but your mileage may vary.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit:^^^^ I'm on an antidepressant soon to be two, one mood stabilizers, one anti-anxiety, and one antipsychotic. What I'm doing is very dumb.

I've been working on the underlying problems weekly with a therapist and psychiatrist for a few years. I do drink to self medicate, but it's stupid because the drinking probably counteracts all of the meds I'm on, so I want to continue drinking because they aren't doing anything. Try to follow my logic here guys (there isn't any).

Well at least I'm self aware enough to know I'm a loving moron. That's a good start.

I know exactly how you feel because I was in the same place. If I hadn't found something that finally worked well for me I'd still be drinking. Even knowing that alcohol was only making things worse in the long run wasn't really a big enough motivator to make me face being totally miserable.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tolkien minority posted:

if antidepressants are enough to fix your depression then you aint really depressedi n the first place

That's some solid logic you have going.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wow I never realized how crazy AA was until DGSW's posts.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

One thing I've noticed is that I only make it about just less than a month before I drink again every time. I'm not sure why. I think it's about the limit before my brain starts taking off a bit too much. Towards the end of that 25 days I started spending a lot of money on hobbies and random poo poo and I was getting maybe a little too energetic and I'd talk a mile a minute which are all signs of hypomania. Again, I'll just have to be mindful of that and try to find some intervention I can put in place before it gets out of hand.

After a quick Google search it sounds like alcohol withdrawal can cause manic episodes. Have you tried tapering off instead of just quitting cold turkey?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah that's pretty much what I did to get off this last time. I'm on meds for bipolar/anxiety/depression, but of course it isn't perfect. Having alcohol out of the picture makes it easier to see what's actually happening on the mental end but it's not easy to handle.

Yeah, alcohol really helps with the whole "my brain is loving itself up and there's not much I can do about it" thing.

I tried to quit an SSRI over the past two weeks and when I started drinking again I realized that maybe it was a bad idea.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We're opposites on that - if I took an SSRI it would almost certainly make me want to drink. I tried Paxil again a few years ago and it only took about a week for it to put me into a dysphoric hypomania.

It just makes me have fewer bad memories pop up and they don't feel as bad when they do, which is pretty cool so I guess that I'm lucky in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

That is one of the main reasons I use alcohol. Horrible memories. I'm on two SSRIs, one anti-psychotic, one anti-seizure (mood stabilizer), and one benzo. None of them help with that.

Guanfacine and clonidine have been two of the best things for me besides stimulants in regards to bad memories and flashbacks. They still suck when they happen, but they happen much less often.

• Locked thread