Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Nuts and Gum posted:

Why do people with a dependency on alcohol primarily drink beer? Costco brand whiskey is good and won't make you as fat.

beer has like, bread stuff...in it, so it's good for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i've been drinking to excess and can't seem to stop myself...goons, tell me a god to make up so he or she can tell me to stop tia

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i need this...entity...to tell me to stop so i can stop please *slurps milk stout*

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

A misanthrope posted:

im drunk right now so i'll do my usual drunk guy thing. dont worry i dont ask for sex or bum cigs i just want to leave the country

*looks around bar for people wearing hockey jerseys

there any canada goons here who can get me a canada green card???

are you a god and can you urge me to get my life together

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

nomadologique posted:

there is a power in your heart not dependent on anything outside of you. touch your heart, and you can choose to encounter whatever it is you are avoiding by drinking. this is painful, but less painful than the suffering you cause yourself both by avoiding, and by drinking.

if that's not enough, remember that many people in the world right now, and many people who once lived, hold you in their heart in compassion and wish well for you. that compassion is a tool they offer to you freely. you do not have to feel embarrassed to take advantage of it.

when your own energy is low, you can draw on this infinite well of compassion to sustain you.

you are not alone. the buddha was a very famous person who extended an infinite compassion to all suffering beings, but he was not the only one; probably the hearts that reach out to you are countless, from all times and places. there is always help if you are courageous enough to ask for it.

what if the thing you're encountering is late stage capitalism that's ruining the human race and the world at large and can't be resolved by anyone

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
does anyone have a platitude for that

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

nomadologique posted:

there is no resolution to the causes of suffering. you can only change your attitude toward them.

there are ten causes of suffering, according to the buddha, and the last three are non-negotiable: sickness, old age, and death.

our society cannot accept any of these three. capitalism is a great engine designed to deny them.

although your immediate material conditions are heavily regulated by this system and its desires, you have a space for freedom, both within you, and within your community. it is up to you to embrace your suffering, and to find the unlimited compassion that lives inside you, wanting to be free.

you do not need a god to quit drinking, although if you want one, they are available. it is enough to have compassion for yourself, and to see yourself unblinkingly, to begin to change these things that hurt you.

fffffffffuuuuuucccckkkkk yyoooooouuuuuuuuu

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
*alcoholic lies dying as cirrhosis destroys his liver finally* man if only i'd heard "man who catches fly with chopsticks can do anything" a year earlier...errrgghhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
what my life always needed...was some soupy facile mysticism...

• Locked thread