Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
been sober for about three months now, it is frickin great and i am really happy about it

my only advice is this: every time you take a drink, really pay attention to what is happening to you. when you are drunk, really pay attention to how you feel. the next day, be completely honest with yourself about your feelings and reactions to last night's drinking.

if being sober is something you genuinely want, and you pay attention to what happens to you when you drink, and you are honest with yourself about its effects on you, you will realize that you feel a lot better when you don't drink.

if being sober isn't something that you want, don't worry about it so much, just find a relationship to alcohol that works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

Get a bag and fill it with door knobs then scream and scream into the bag take one of the doorknobs out of the bag put it to your head and then use it to open ur mind.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

tiltposter posted:

actually i drink to do the opposite

that's fine, but you're not trying to quit! the op was asking how to quit.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Aging Millenial posted:

People, you are going about this the wrong away. The problem isn't you. The problem is reality. It loving sucks.

Using drugs to find comfort and happiness is quite a natural desire. It in fact perfectly comports with the "sanctioned" use of drugs -- i.e to cure and lessen physical pain. When we use drugs for recreation, we are using it to lessen spiritual pain .

Liberal and responsible use of drugs is the real philosophical answer to all the mysteries of human existence. The problem is our perception and the demands of capitalism which drives people towards unhappiness and mental illness. To then deny them drugs is the very height of cruelty.

That said, I'm only familiar with pot, booze and adderall, and currently have a younger brother who is an alcoholic, so I have an intimate understanding of addiction. But it cannot be the answer that just because some people can't handle drug use responsibly all must then be denied freedom to do drugs.

Legalize all drugs. Not because "the drug war has failed" but because recreational drug use should be a HUMAN RIGHT.

you at least started down the right track, but you got lost in the woods pretty quick.

to quit it helps to recognize something pretty simple: the spiritual basis of AA is on point. their expression of it may not be for everyone, may even be a little tyrannical, but the idea that to truly quit you need a spiritual revolution is right.

and you, aging millenial, are right to say that people use drugs to lessen spiritual pain. because it is all about the spiritual aspect.

there is no necessity to use drugs to address your spiritual difficulties. you can, of course; but to necessitate it is to overstate the case and enslave yourself to just another concrete solution. there are no concrete solutions. you just have to sit, often uncomfortably, with what is going on with you. that's about it. drug abuse is a way to avoid this uncomfortable sitting-with. drug USE can aid in this sitting, but it can quickly become a crutch.

since what is going on with you is bound to be different from moment to moment, there cannot be a single solution; the solution is always defined by the terms of the question. learning to pose the question skillfully will ease production of the solution; indeed, a sufficiently skillful question is inseparable from its solution, and produces it immediately.

well, that's about it op. if you want to quit, ask your heart to speak to you, and be willing to listen to what it has to say.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Nonviolent J posted:

i miss the flamingo

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

there is a lot of negativity itt, and i will tell you op, that is not going to help you quit, so i hope you aren't reading!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the one in your heart.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the kingdom of heaven is on earth, friend.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

jesus is in your heart. you are jesus.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

do what you feel.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's good you found something that works for you.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

we can all use a little probation time now and then. go for it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

skeletonotherkin posted:

I'm not a social drinker, but I love this sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRtfIrNOZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H_sVNgvf4

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

there is a power in your heart not dependent on anything outside of you. touch your heart, and you can choose to encounter whatever it is you are avoiding by drinking. this is painful, but less painful than the suffering you cause yourself both by avoiding, and by drinking.

if that's not enough, remember that many people in the world right now, and many people who once lived, hold you in their heart in compassion and wish well for you. that compassion is a tool they offer to you freely. you do not have to feel embarrassed to take advantage of it.

when your own energy is low, you can draw on this infinite well of compassion to sustain you.

you are not alone. the buddha was a very famous person who extended an infinite compassion to all suffering beings, but he was not the only one; probably the hearts that reach out to you are countless, from all times and places. there is always help if you are courageous enough to ask for it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

zh1 posted:

what if the thing you're encountering is late stage capitalism that's ruining the human race and the world at large and can't be resolved by anyone

there is no resolution to the causes of suffering. you can only change your attitude toward them.

there are ten causes of suffering, according to the buddha, and the last three are non-negotiable: sickness, old age, and death.

our society cannot accept any of these three. capitalism is a great engine designed to deny them.

although your immediate material conditions are heavily regulated by this system and its desires, you have a space for freedom, both within you, and within your community. it is up to you to embrace your suffering, and to find the unlimited compassion that lives inside you, wanting to be free.

you do not need a god to quit drinking, although if you want one, they are available. it is enough to have compassion for yourself, and to see yourself unblinkingly, to begin to change these things that hurt you.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

okay :)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Corby Haas posted:

No one can call you an alcoholic except yourself. Some phrases we use to self-identify include "restless, irritable, and discontent", "childish, grandiose, and emotionally sensitive", or, more colloquially, "the piece of poo poo at the center of the universe".

If you're an alcoholic, you have a progressive illness. It doesn't get better; it only gets worse.

AA is supposed to work on the principle of attraction rather than promotion, so I'll talk about myself.

Since coming to the fellowship 547 days ago, I have been sober for 547 days. My mental illness is properly diagnosed, medicated, and managed. I no longer spend the entire day with my fists clenched in anger, mind numbed by rage. I'm able to answer my phone, call people, and send and respond to text messages and emails. I was gainfully employed for nine months and when I needed to make a decision to leave that job I had the life experience of many well-adjusted people to draw from and assist my decision. I have fallen in love and endured a broken heart without drinking. I have the "best possible relationship" with my family, which definitely isn't roses and butterflies but it's civil interaction with more clearly defined and firmly defended boundaries. I have acquired a god of my own understanding who is a personal god, whose only job is to take care of me. I'm developing a strong sense of self-esteem as well as a strong sense of humility, which I describe as "an accurate self-assessment" ie humility is not the same thing as self-hate. I am, as the literature promises, "happy, joyous, and free" more than half of the time. I have feelings again and can identify most of them. I am able to be sad whereas before I couldn't face any amount of adversity without drinking. At four months of sobriety, my sponsor helped me face down some demons that had been haunting me for a decade. I have brushed my teeth every day but one for 547 days.

If anything at all about the program makes you hesitant (God, etc), the third tradition states that "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

awesome.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

went to mardi gras, still sober. was fun af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

oh poo poo dad gay is back, is it my birthday already?

• Locked thread