Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

zh1 posted:

i've been drinking to excess and can't seem to stop myself...goons, tell me a god to make up so he or she can tell me to stop tia

There's a different kind of g.o.d. that might suit you, and that's "group of (ex) drunks."

See if there are any atheist/agnostic AA groups in your area and try going to some meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

zh1 posted:

what my life always needed...was some soupy facile mysticism...

I was sincere when I suggested what worked for me.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nonviolent J posted:

Between the 11th and now have only drank once on the 18th and it sucked.

Anxiety has gone way down since stopping, just have to keep it up

Have you decided how you're going to do it?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

PTF, do you have any hobbies you enjoy? Hobbies have been helpful for dealing with my severe depression, and provide a distraction when my moods and thoughts head into dangerously dark places. For this approach, anything that occupies the mind will work.

Anyway, it works for me. Good luck to you.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nonviolent J posted:

Gods a bad bitch

Which god?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The urge was going on and off last night. One thing that actually helped was playing DCS World (a combat flight sim) with some goons last night. But right when we stopped the urge rushed back and I got beer immediately. Staying occupied is certainly helpful but sometimes it's difficult when you're really depressed and can't even do things that you enjoy. This is quite the conundrum and something I need to figure out.

One of the best things I got out of getting clean (almost 16 years now) was the rediscovery of my old hobbies. During my active addiction, my attentions were focused more and more onto the getting and using of my drugs, to the exclusion of almost everything else. I used to get such pleasure from record collecting, but that fell by the wayside early on, as my intake of opioids skyrocketed.

Returning to it has been such fun, and it even brought my 15 minutes of fame when I bought a group of records in a blind auction 3 years ago. One of them turned out to contain music of historic importance by a major entertainer, which had been thought lost for over 60 years. When I got interviewed by an online magazine and paid by a London record company to lease the recording, that brought me a high I never could've had when i was eating pain pills like popcorn.

Try going back to back to the things that used to bring you pleasure before your drinking became a problem. You never know where your rediscovered hobbies might take you. Collecting has become my most effective antidepressant, and I recommend it highly. Keep talking about how you feel, and hang in there.

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 11, 2017

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Whether or not you take a drink is entirely up to you, Pennywise. If you keep a glass of soda (or whatever) in your hand, people won't keep offering you drinks. So unless your relatives put a funnel in your mouth and force booze down your throat, you can get through this sober.

I'm typing this with my left hand due to fracturing my right humerus last week. I wouldn't go to this much trouble to post if I thought you were a lost cause. You can do this if you believe in yourself.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

SpaceClown posted:

I'll just have to suck some dick for cash to get my weed fix.

Not me; at least not for weed.

Only for fun.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

TheSpamalope posted:

Doing drugs, drinking, it's all good. That one guy hung out with his family who were drinking and he only had diet soda. That's rude, rude to your family and also just wrong. He wanted a beer, that was a stand in for beer. Hell come around the craving never leaves nothing will be right until he tastes beer again. And that's okay, and good actually.

Now that's just evil.

Pennywise, have a look at the recovery thread and feel free to join in. I'm more of a lurker than a poster there, but I've found it to be a great source of wisdom and support for any type of chemical addiction.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

dad gay. so what posted:

where is that at?

DGSW, a smart guy like you knows the addiction/recovery megathread is easy to find.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Last night I decided to have a single daily goal.

Set small, realistic goals for yourself and don't aim for something impossibly overambitious. Otherwise, you set yourself up for failure and disappointment. You might even lose what you've already achieved.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

ham_sanitizer posted:

please god, gently caress me up.

That would be redundant.

dad gay. so what posted:

also ketamine is technically a treatment for depression, which i mean, cmon...

A doctor who operates on himself has a fool for a patient.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

500 good dogs posted:

who would be pumped about going to mars?

sounds rad

also i watched Passengers the other day, and it made me wish that was a real thing. i'd totally get frozen for 100 years or whatever to go to some other not-earth planet

Passengers was a good film with some amazing sfx.

As for being put into stasis, I'd worry that my pod might malfunction because of a computer error or else just being a lemon. Or deliberately corrupted by someone with an Agenda, or one of those nasty critters from the Alien movies.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

SpaceClown posted:

god i'll never stop taking speed are you kidding me?

sobriety is boring as hell and lets go down the list of other drugs im open to taking semi-regularly:

-Salvia: Nope. No psychadelics.
-LSD: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Psilocybin: Nope. No psychadelics.
-DMT: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Booze: Nope. Alcohol blows.
-Weed: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Opiates: Nope. Hate painkillers.
-Benzos: Nope. Hate downers.
-Hal: Nope. Disassociatives suck unless they are psychadelics.
-Ketamine: gently caress off.

A few others I don't care to think of.

I'm happy with my amphetamines. They make me feel good, make my thoughts explode in volume and quality, fight my ADD, among some other things.

Just trying to not develop a dependence of any kind, spacing out my usage and not using it as a crutch for anything.

Interesting stuff. My own drug of choice was pharmaceutical opioids. I was always curious about amphetamines, but never managed to find any before I gave up recreationals.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying reading all the posts about them. Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

That is a good idea but I hate writing. I used to use an app called eMoods that I would use to keep track of my brain cycles so I could see trends but having an idea of what leads up to these things in writing would probably be enormously helpful.

Now that I think about it, you can enter notes. I remember emailing the developer suggesting a higher character limit for the notes and he obliged. I should check that out again.

You could try using Google Voice, which I first learned to use for texting on my smartphone. A friend told me how to send it as an email, so you could mail it to yourself, and then put it into a file. Just a thought.

And of course I hope you'll keep talking to us about how you're feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

We Know Catheters posted:

I stopped drinking, cold turkey, to spite alcoholics anonymous

You sure put them in their place. I bet they didn't see it coming, either.

• Locked thread