Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

if you stop drinking you'll actually be able to remember your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Made it a month without weed, then decided to call it a tolerance break and started again

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Butcher posted:

It's true but it makes me suck rear end at Rocket League. Like it's a game of inches and I'll keep hitting poo poo like .25 seconds later than I should and blowing the shot. Then I'm like okay well just try to hit it faster then you think you should but the brain can't seem to really do that.

Any game with matchmaking it's not really a problem because your Elo will adjust!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

unpleasantly turgid posted:

The idea is to get op away from substance abuse (i.e. Intentionally impairing yourself to escape something) not simply switch his poison. The last sentence works, though.

weed isn't going to kill you and if it helps you get off of booze, isn't that worth something?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

unpleasantly turgid posted:

Weed is better, but it comes with its own cons for sure. Op should be looking to not need soporific substances. Moving his dependency doesn't solve anything.

Idk at least his liver won't shut down?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Just imagine how many avatars you could buy if you quit drinking

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

You goons should dox yourself and make some IRL goon friends to help you through this.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

zh1 posted:

i've been drinking to excess and can't seem to stop myself...goons, tell me a god to make up so he or she can tell me to stop tia

dionysus

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

zh1 posted:

i've been drinking to excess and can't seem to stop myself...goons, tell me a god to make up so he or she can tell me to stop tia

bacchus

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

zh1 posted:

fufluns

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

A misanthrope posted:

lol see the joke is he wont help you at all :twisted:

who is the god of weed?!

it's me :getin:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

nomadologique posted:

there is a power in your heart not dependent on anything outside of you. touch your heart, and you can choose to encounter whatever it is you are avoiding by drinking. this is painful, but less painful than the suffering you cause yourself both by avoiding, and by drinking.

if that's not enough, remember that many people in the world right now, and many people who once lived, hold you in their heart in compassion and wish well for you. that compassion is a tool they offer to you freely. you do not have to feel embarrassed to take advantage of it.

when your own energy is low, you can draw on this infinite well of compassion to sustain you.

you are not alone. the buddha was a very famous person who extended an infinite compassion to all suffering beings, but he was not the only one; probably the hearts that reach out to you are countless, from all times and places. there is always help if you are courageous enough to ask for it.

:goonsay:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

Good Luck Penny!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

I live in Oregon but weed helps tremendously for me. I went from drinking daily to almost 0 cravings.

It's just substitution but it worked for me.

weed and klonopin go great together too

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Sintax posted:

Please do NOT waste your high by taking benzos, this is a public service announcement

no way man you can get crazy stupid high and not have to worry about paranoia, anxiety, etc.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

hi

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

hth posted:

AIDS isnt a joke, I have been led to beliece its a terrible and tragic disease

mlyp

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hang in there. If you have to, force yourself to eat. Soup was handy for me. Letting yourself get dehydrated and malnourished is not going to help anything.

Yeah, force yourself to eat like you would if you were sick. Soups, Gatorade, etc.

How you doing buddy, day 2 is almost over!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I've had high CBD pens and high CBD flowers, but it doesn't do anything for me, like I've got medical reasons to use weed (as in when I tell new doctors I smoke they nod understandingly) and CBD poo poo does nothing to help it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

thathonkey posted:

ive got a better idea: start adding benzos Into weed

I know I can handle opiates without ending up a junky, but holy poo poo benzos are terrifying (and awesome) even when you're coming off of them and feel terrible there's no regrets

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

thathonkey posted:

i strongly believe benzos are the most dangerous drug and cause me to act like a completely reprehensible person.

also my favorite. i have bad anxiety and nothing else flips it completely off. I rarely do them i have to be extremely cautious and only get one dose or ill take them all and lose a week or two and probably almost die a few times

yeah when I had a bottle of klonopin I knew they weren't just going to give me another bottle right when I ran out, so i rationed them for more than a year. That worked well because I never really built up a tolerance. Also because the dose was big enough and my anxiety meant that I was terrified of dying if I took more than one, and as soon as I took one I was beyond happy enough to stop there.

something magical about a buzz like that lasting 2-3 days, too

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

polysynth posted:

does weed set off your anxiety

only benzo I've been able to try is diazepam and it must be nothing compared to xanax/kpin because my anxiety was still pretty bad

weed makes me dumber and makes thinking about anxiety poo poo all the time happen less, but if I start thinking about it like right now I can get locked in to thinking about it until something compelling distracts me (edit: like trying to finish a forum post). so for me it's like going from constant anxiety to only anxious 20% of the time but when I am it's double intensity.

also Ativan doesn't do much for me either, except with my normal fears. like I needed to fix something on the roof during a storm and I'm a baby when it comes to heights, so a random Ativan we had helped me not freak out climbing into the second story slanted roof to fix it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

thathonkey posted:

sometimes.

diazepam is much weaker than xanax and kpin (per mg) but it is one of the best benzos out there.

Yeah, like with opiates there's basically a conversion chart for equivalent doses.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What if you don't have a Christian soul? :ohdear:

They're pretty cheap to buy on AliExpress

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

you still sober little buddy?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Day 5. I think the physical withdrawals are over now. On to the mental withdrawals for the indefinite future. I used to be smart or something so I'm kind of looking forward to regaining some cognitive ability. But with that comes even more pessimism and terrible anger about existence, etc.

Oh well, one day at a time. My goal is 6 months. I will certainly fail.

Thanks again GBS.

Hell yeah you've almost made it a week

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Isn't that what one of those hats with the beer and straw is for

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

which one is step 4

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I believe in you Penny

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

If you're honestly drinking to self medicate it's way easier to treat the underlying problems and then quit drinking. I finally found an antidepressant that is doing its job and since then I haven't felt that pressure to get drunk in order to feel any kind of relaxation in the evening. I didn't even really have to try to quit drinking, and I haven't had more than a small glass of wine in the past two or three months. Just the thought of getting drunk again seems pretty miserable.

Yeah but be careful because several of the antidepressant drugs they prescribe can gently caress you up if you drink on them.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

did you fall off the wagon already dgsw or are you just crazy

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Every time dgsw gets probated I worry he's going to relapse :(

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

If God is the guy who makes you quit drinking then why not instead ask him for the ability to drink in moderation?!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Well screw you guys then. <:mad:>

I want to drink right now. :( Must distract myself.

I'm 3 days off of weed, if that counts! I stopped for all of January due to personal reasons (needed to be on-call for work and ready to run in at any moment) but went back in February because weed is cool. I'm going to try for some serious time at least, but I don't drink so weed was always great for social occasions where everyone else drinks and I don't want to be the only sober guy (parties suck when you're the only one not drinking), so there's a good chance I don't stop permanently. But no longer smoking every night/week seems like a good goal at least.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

It's all good buddy, we try again in the morning?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Just remember that it's not a complete failure, no need to give up. In a week from now you'll be able to say you only drank once in the last two weeks and that's good poo poo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

How you doing Penny?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I gotta find some sort of emergency thing to do when everything starts boiling over.

:justpost:

But seriously, we're here for you man. Today is a new day, luckily a short one now. You got any hobbies or poo poo? Like video games or whatever? It's hard if you'd normally hobby and drink, but keeping your mind busy is important to maintaining your sanity and sobriety.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Walks are great, but if you're anywhere near shops you should leave your cash/cards at home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

^^^ That's a pretty neat story!

One thing that really complicates everything is the bipolar. I have a tendency of skyrocketing and doing very stupid things that sounds great at the time until I ultimately crash and fail. Things like, "Oh poo poo, I should join the Marine Corps!", or "Hey, let's be a pilot, EMT, Firefighter!", "Let just pack some poo poo into my car and move across the country to Seattle!". Nothing could ever go wrong with any of these life changing decisions! I failed at everything once the mania subsides and the depression takes over.

I see a therapist weekly and one thing we're starting to keep an eye on is not jumping into anything new or anything that has a high potential for a crashing failure. In December when I didn't drink for a month I joined Team Rubicon which is a vet disaster response organization. Luckily that one was a good idea because I only have to put in what I can when I can. I also joined a group called the Kenosha Unity Coalition that focuses on local crime, drug abuse, rapid response, etc. The good part is I'm well spoken so people may think I have some sort of credibility, but I have no credentials. I came into a meeting with my mohawk at the time and had an open discussion with the Chief of Police and the DA among other people. Naturally since I was flying high I was very vocal. The Chief probably didn't like me so much since I brought up failures and stuff, but the DA loved me for the same reason. Then, like clockwork, I found myself way in over my head and crashed.

I'm going on a tangent, but I'm trying to work with my therapist to not start anything new until we get a handle on things. Whenever I pick up a new hobby, temporarily of course, I can spend hundreds or thousands of dollars and then get bored super quick and stop. Hell, I might play 3 or 4 different games within a few hours or so because I get bored and have zero motivation even to play a god drat computer game. I'm learning that hypomania/mania can be just as damaging as depression.

I don't know what I'm even going on about right now. Basically, there is a balance I need to find and my brain literally wants to do the opposite. Everything sucks.

Maybe eat some batteries? They might have lithium in them

• Locked thread