Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I know we've been committing things to master and occasionally branching when necessary. That's worked really well so far but now that we have 4 developers on the team it's time to switch to something more robust.

I spent two minutes searching google and found the following article
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

please consult the following image:

beginning immediately we are to install the git flow extensions and use those. All changes will be merged into a branch called "develop" instead of "master".

Failure to comply will result in shaming during the morning stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lgtm

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ml shitflow haha lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suck my fuckin nuts op

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i think they need to pull them over to a local branch first to do that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is what we do at work. it sucks dick.

you're working on your feature branch. it came from devel which is synched to some master a while back. the devel head doesn't work with the last release, which is based on the latest master tag and code from many other repos because devel has changed enough to not be perfectly compatible with other components. so in reality if you want to be able to test any changes, you have to fork from master, making sure to stay testing on the release for the tag you forked from, but when you commit you have to merge into devel.

it's dumb, gfy op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

this is what we do at work. it sucks dick.

you're working on your feature branch. it came from devel which is synched to some master a while back. the devel head doesn't work with the last release, which is based on the latest master tag and code from many other repos because devel has changed enough to not be perfectly compatible with other components. so in reality if you want to be able to test any changes, you have to fork from master, making sure to stay testing on the release for the tag you forked from, but when you commit you have to merge into devel.

it's dumb, gfy op

layer 8 issue

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I just have feature branches off master where the CI runs against the feature branch/PR before it gets merged

Releases are tagged and cut off of master as well, when we feel like it (usually once every couple weeks or so)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

I just have feature branches off master where the CI runs against the feature branch/PR before it gets merged

Releases are tagged and cut off of master as well, when we feel like it (usually once every couple weeks or so)

This isn't robust enough. We need a "successful" branching model.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

This isn't robust enough. We need a "successful" branching model.

add in an integration branch where all merged pull requests go and only commits that are part of a green ci build based on the contents of that branch are pulled into master

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
Ah, finally a way a for non-programmers to ensure job security by introducing needlessly complex terrible things into the production process that only they understand.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

suck my fuckin nuts op

rude

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
sorry can you rebase this thread off of develop it looks like you accidentally created it off master thanks

don't worry develop is only 500 commits ahead, shouldn't be any issues

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its one thing to take the whole "gitflow" writeup as an exploration of how to juggle development, releases, and hot-fixing with git repos, is another to go full absolutist rule maniac with it

my best strategy has been maintaining a release and development branch, with a thin layer of bureaucracy on committing to them to force communication between developers, which it turns out is the best strategy of them all

its worked well for groups of ~5 give or take people

pram
Jun 10, 2001
who gives a god damned gently caress

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i don't need to do this because i have a real job op

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
oh good the monthly bloody gitflow

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
git flow is stupid and yet every company i've ever worked at that has used git inevitably has someone propose that we switch to it with no explanation as to why it's better other than that it's "standard"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

git flow is stupid and yet every company i've ever worked at that has used git inevitably has someone propose that we switch to it with no explanation as to why it's better other than that it's "standard"

oh so the reasoning behind 90% of technical decisions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

So is gitflow

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Plorkyeran posted:

remind them that ed is the standard text editor

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

remind them that ed is the standard text editor

for most people espousing gitflow this would go over their head

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

pram posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

gitflow seems fine op, I don't know what the big deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

akadajet posted:

for most people espousing gitflow this would go over their head

some of them will be hipsters who run with it and treat ed as the next vi and insist that using it improves your productivity

• Locked thread