Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
ive been using outlook for months and using it pisses me off several times a day

before that i used thunderbird and, well, let's just say there are reasons i decided to give outlook a chance

is there anything else i can do besides sending all my accounts to gmail, which is tolerable but only slightly

holy gently caress email is terrible how does it even still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Smythe posted:

one time i screwed up an import into thunderbird and it changed all my contact names to "N:" and it's still like that for many ppl, years later.

i can't imagine what would cause that to happen but i can easily imagine it happening

gently caress all email everywhere

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

A Pinball Wizard posted:

outlook and thunderbird are fine

lies and fabrications

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

several times a day outlook reverts messages to unread after i've already marked them read

sometimes i can mark something read, wait a few seconds, and watch it get marked unread again

this happens most often with gmail addresses, but occasionally happens with every address i use

thunderbird just lagged like poo poo. i think my inbox was just too big for it to handle (that's what ze said)

srsly, come at me and try to tell me all email clients don't suck without breaking face

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

A Pinball Wizard posted:

sounds like you're using imap, your mail protocol is a pos

if pop3 worked better i'd gladly call aol and ask them to send me a cd to reconfigure my internet for me

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Raere posted:

email is like the most basic and oldest protocol, why is it so hard to get right??

why get basic messaging right when you can spend all your time getting calendars wrong instead

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

the only web based email app that's even kind of acceptable is gmail and by kind of acceptable i mean it still loving sucks

qed

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Shaggar posted:

gmail web mail is actually pretty loving awful and both outlook.com and 365 webmail are way better.

are either of them even slightly better than outlook on desktop, because if so i might have to give them a try

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i finally decided to write my own email app in electron that stores everything in json flat files and smushes them into a local unprotected mongodb to make them searchable and searches using unsanitized queries and also downloads all linked assets automatically without prompt or warning and oh yeah it doesn't support ssl, tsl, or anything besides plaintext and also the mongodb with all my emails is on a public port that doesnt require authentication by default

it absorbs about 6GB RAM per message and automatically reboots my computer every 15-20 minutes

eh... might switch back to outlook. let's see how this plays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

oh yeah forgot to mention it's impossible to mark messages as read. figured i'd save that feature for the star trek version

• Locked thread