Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gently caress YOU guys never count out TOUCH DOWN loving TOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gently caress you guys get me a new avatar

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

ban everyone who isn't coming out forcefully against the patriots

BITCH i am here and i am gonna be here a looooooooong time

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

we loving did it boys. I finally changed my avatar and title

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Febreeze posted:

28 minutes

The Falcons needed a single field goal to ice that game, and they had 28 minutes to get it, and they failed. What a collapse, holy poo poo

going to be one of the worst collapses in NFL history for sure

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

Counting out Touchdown Tom is an impeachable offense

<-------------------------

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Realtalk: Not counting any Super Bowl wins by your favorite team, do you consider this the best Super Bowl ever? I'd have to say yes at this point. I remember the Cards/Steelers game fondly too, but I think this one tops them for the comeback and OT win.

I thought XLIX was the greatest I had personally ever seen (didn't watch XL) until tonight, but this one tops Butler's interception by a long shot. I mean, holy loving poo poo.

It was 28-3. Twenty eight to loving three. In the Super Bowl.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

TBeats posted:

If I wasn't so lazy I would go through the 150 or whatever pages of the GDT and collect all of the posts of people who counted out Touchdown Tom but that would be like 20k posts.

I have a folder of bookmarks of posts saved because I'm gonna make a youtube video out of it sometime this week

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I tried to do an MSPaint analysis using the YouTube footage to figure out where (roughly) the ball was while White was crossing the goal line. The blue line is the estimated edge of the goal line based on the camera's perspective, and the red line is the best possible guess at where the edge of the ball is based on movement and how White fell.

FIRST FRAME: White begins falling

SECOND FRAME: Falcons #3 starts to push while tackling from behind

THIRD FRAME: The moment (or as close as I could get) to White's knee being down

FOURTH FRAME: White is completely down at this point, his upper body continuing to fall over the line

Conclusion: Holy poo poo, that's loving close.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

shyduck posted:

I can't shake the feeling that if the Falcons do something as simple as 3 kneeldowns after the Julio catch, they win the Super Bowl. Am I oversimplifying things here? They really hosed this one up badly

I don't know if they win on those three kneeldowns alone, but they for sure gave Brady way too much time on that final drive because they should have known their defense was gassed. They needed to do something to let the defense regain its composure, but leaving New England with 2 time outs was absolutely crucial.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

extendedsolo posted:

so we are all in agreement that not only did the Patriots have a miraculous comeback, but the Falcons also completely hosed it up? It's both not one or the other right?

For sure. I don't trust a 40yd field goal in the Super Bowl, especially when historically amazing kickers like Ghost are missing XPs. I don't think it was as straightforward as running three times and going for it, they needed an extra 10-15 yards to put Matt Bryant in a comfortable range, and even THEN you've got to worry about Shea McLellan hopping the center because you know at that point, the Patriots would be in all-out block mode on that play.

The Falcons for sure hosed that game up, but I think there are very few quarterbacks, if any, that could take the opportunities the Falcons handed over and capitalize on them. I don't think Big Ben could have done it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

weird Asian candy posted:

The botched XP has no bearing on Bryant though. And Bryant, throughout his career, has been outstanding. The odds of him hitting a 40 yard FG are very, very good and I really don't think they needed an extra 10-15 yards at all. Bryant can hit from 60, 40 is a chip shot.

...you don't think the pressure of playing in a Super Bowl has no effect on kickers? lol, not everybody is an Adam Vinatieri waiting to put it through the uprights as time expires. Ghost can hit them from 60 too, and he missed an XP last night. It's not as easy as saying "well he can hit them from that distance all the time" lmao. Ghost is 5 spots above Matt Bryant in the "best NFL kickers" category and blew an XP. Kicking field goals has changed drastically over the past two years, they're not gimmies anymore. No head coach is sitting on the sidelines going "yeah, a FG from this spot is a lock for sure"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Pressure, sure I just love how you automatically assume Bryant misses because he isn't GHOST. GHOST IS THE GREATEST KICKER EVER!

Did you get permanent brain damage between last night and today or something? Way to totally ignore and misrepresent what I just said.

Did Bryant have a good shot at the kick? Sure. Was it a smart idea to risk it and potentially give the Patriots the ball with only half the field to drive? gently caress no.

EDIT: They should have ran it from the 25 yard line or wherever they were. But after the sack, and not even after the penalty that followed that put them completely out of range, I don't think they were willing to risk it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I have no idea what you said because all I read was GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST.

That's all you read because you're an idiot who was more eager to argue about a point I never made

Running the ball to kill the clock, force NE to use timeouts and then trot out a great (whether you can admit it through your BAHSTIN goggles or not) kicker is not exactly a risk.

I literally just loving said this in the post you originally quoted. The risk isn't that strategy, the risk is relying entirely on the field goal from a coaching perspective, independently of how good or bad your kicker is.

Even running it twice and then going for a higher percentage pass would have sufficed. Basically, the exact opposite of what they did. What they did WAS the risk and it blew up in their face.

Well I'd like to think they were going for that idea, except in reverse. Because they had just gotten up to that field position thanks to Freeman and wanted to keep the NE defense on their heels. But what happened was a sack, which necessitated another pass play.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

trash person posted:

Y'all ready for baseball season

gently caress baseball, i'm ready for the Daytona 500 :banjo:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

here are my thoughts on the new england patriots

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

yeah and it makes me feel sad on the inside :(

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Kirios posted:

Worst part about that Super Bowl is Patriots fans turning into neverending shitlords.

implying we weren't before somehow

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

man Roger That is such a good username but I don't wanna give up Turdsdown Tom, gently caress

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Literally nobody will notice either way

you don't have to be angry that you couldn't also have peyton manning making GBS threads into tom brady's mouth next to every post you make for a year

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

this is the gronk i know and love

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

It's almost unbelievable. And of course Pats fans (and I guess the Pats themselves) are acting like their team just steamrolled their competition when they were completely dead to rights. That game was over and the Falcons let them off the hook.

I have not seen one person unironically imply that the Pats steamrolled. Not sure where you're coming from there unless you've been reading YouTube comments. Everyone knows how close our goose was to getting cooked. Most people still can't believe the game ended

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

it's a shitload of gently caress, that's for drat sure

also this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

best post in years

• Locked thread