Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

a neat cape posted:

Michael Jordan retired and the Bulls went from 57 wins to 55 wins and a bad call in the ECF from another finals appearance.

Jordan was overrated

That wasn't in the eastern conference finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

illcendiary posted:

I really am continually dumbfounded at how coaches forget the value of even an unsuccessful run late in the game. The fact that a single play can burn 45 seconds of game time is frankly a broken part of football and yet the Falcons were running plays with 15-20 seconds left on the play clock. Unreal

I think last night they felt like it was in their best interest go to for the TD and really ice the game. I agree though, why they didn't care more about the clock I'll never know. The only thing I can think of is that it would've deviated from their philosophy during that game of "PUT UP AS MANY POINTS AS POSSIBLE!"

I just feel bad for the Falcons, since this was most likely their best chance to win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. Aren't many of the defensive players up for FA after this season?

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I don't know if they win on those three kneeldowns alone, but they for sure gave Brady way too much time on that final drive because they should have known their defense was gassed. They needed to do something to let the defense regain its composure, but leaving New England with 2 time outs was absolutely crucial.

so we are all in agreement that not only did the Patriots have a miraculous comeback, but the Falcons also completely hosed it up? It's both not one or the other right?

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

It wasn't even 15, it was 20! Completely mind boggling!

That triggered me filled with a room with people that didn't quite know how to act or what to say because I was bordering breakdown screamed "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING" as loud as I could at the TV. Awesome.

it was rigged by Trump. If the Falcons kept trying to win the drones surrounding the stadium would start picking off random Falcons players.

Lime Tonics posted:

The Texas Rangers were ordered Monday to help Houston police find the jersey worn by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during Super Bowl LI.

The Patriots beat the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday night 34-28 in a thrilling overtime touchdown. It was the first time that a Super Bowl went into extra time.

Apparently, after the game, Brady’s jersey was swiped.

“I put it in my bag and I came out and it wasn’t there anymore,” Brady said. “It’s unfortunate, because that’s a nice piece of memorabilia.”

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/texas-rangers-ordered-to-help-find-bradys-missing-super-bowl-jersey

I hope whoever stole it sends Brady pictures of it like he is holding it hostage.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

For sure. I don't trust a 40yd field goal in the Super Bowl, especially when historically amazing kickers like Ghost are missing XPs. I don't think it was as straightforward as running three times and going for it, they needed an extra 10-15 yards to put Matt Bryant in a comfortable range, and even THEN you've got to worry about Shea McLellan hopping the center because you know at that point, the Patriots would be in all-out block mode on that play.

The Falcons for sure hosed that game up, but I think there are very few quarterbacks, if any, that could take the opportunities the Falcons handed over and capitalize on them. I don't think Big Ben could have done it.

Hear me out here, I think Rivers or Luck COULD have done it, but couldn't sustain success enough to get their team in position to do it. So yeah pretty much Brady is the only one.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Ben could, tbh

nah he would've been intercepted at least once.

As good as the patriots were this year, lets admit that it always takes a little bit of luck to win a Super Bowl. I mean Derek Carr was injured at the end of the season. The Texans defense played well enough to possibly win, but their QB is an atrocity. If the Texans even have a competent QB they win that game. The Steelers best offensive player went out early in the game, shutting the door on any comeback, not that I think they would've won anyway. Obviously last night with the falcons coaches making GBS threads the bed in legendary fashion. I'm glad they made it, because it was an all time great game and there will be a 30 for 30 narrated by a salty rear end Bill Simmons about the full calendar year from Villanova to now. Is there anything MORE ridiculous that what happened last night that could happen in the next 8 weeks?

extendedsolo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 6, 2017

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Sounds like a whole lot of people counting out Touchdown Tommy

what will be even funnier is when a couple writers don't vote him into the HOF because he "cheated" or some other dumb poo poo.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Abugadu posted:

I feel like this is the critical point. Bill gameplans for this, and uses the short passing game as a substitute for the running game because he sees/exploits mismatches. It's never a 'oh we're down 2+ scores, time to bomb it' strategy. And don't get me wrong, Brady is a great QB for being able to execute it, and have a high completion % while doing it. And I'm fine calling him the GOAT, he's done it with poo poo receivers for most of his career minus the time with Moss. There's plenty of reasons to admire the guy, I just feel like saying this was his greatest game and a testament to his awesomeness is really loving overblown considering how many basic things the Falcons hosed up and how many tiny miracles had to happen for it to occur.

This is horseshit. Edelman, Welker and Gronk are all really good players. What's more is that those early superbowls he wasn't the main reason they won. I'm all for calling him the greatest, but lets not act like he had no help at any of the skill positions ever at any point.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Durandal1707 posted:

Favre only had something like 4 or 5 400+ yard games in his career, which is nuts considering how long he played.

well his prime didn't overlap with the rule changes that made passers gods. I mean Brees, Stafford, late career manning, and 2011 Brady are 4 of the 5 QBs with 5000 yards in a year. Favre would've done it had his career started in 2009.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah at what point does Trump just try to avoid embarrassment and cancel it? Would half the team have to boycott? The next one will most likely be basketball or hockey and we KNOW the Cavs or Warriors or Spurs aren't going there. No one wants to go to Donnie's house because no one likes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

This is great. I literally do not give a gently caress that you were happy about a team winning. I'm glad you got to spend so much time with your dad because of the winning.

• Locked thread