Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I watched all nine seasons of 24, including the weird "Jack Bauer meets Africa' movie. Bucking the popular trend, I thought Live Another Day was 12 straight hours of balls-out awesome 24 goodness.

This premiere sucked. No real twists, tremendously low energy. The Jeb Bush of 24 premieres. Anyone else give it a go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's better than Designated Survivor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they are introducing a new character to lead the series they could have given a bit more background on him so that we care about what happens. With the first Jack Bauer series he didn't even pick up a gun until the second episode because most of it was about his background and family.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I just watched it. I miss Jack.

The new lead isn't bad parsae, but the whole show just feels like it's waiting for Jack to show up.

While watching I started thinking that it would be cool if this season's McGuffin was a mysterious weapon that multiple nations were afraid of. After spending the entire season tracking the weapon, in the last episode, the new protagonist finds it and it's reveled to be Jack Bauer locked away in some gulag.

Another idea I had would be for the main villain to be ultimately revealed to be Jack, and then of course in the following season we find out that he's undercover blah blah blah que team up.

Kiefer Sutherland is such an integral part of this show I don't know how successful it's going to be without him. He's supposedly pretty firm about not coming back and he's doing Designated Survivor right now anyway (which I really couldn't get into), but this show definitely needs him.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 6, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FogHelmut posted:

It's better than Designated Survivor.
Yeah, definitely.

It's obvious that Jack should be in this and he's missing from it, but there are so many dumb hilarious 24 cliches in this first episode that I had fun watching it anyway. I wouldn't call it good, just fun. I'll watch more of it, but I'm not expecting anything on the level of the original series.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Bucking the popular trend, I thought Live Another Day was 12 straight hours of balls-out awesome 24 goodness.

Is that not the popular opinion? I thought it was awesome too, the 12 ep format was much tighter and it was a well constructed show. WAKE THE BITCH UP

Also thought the premiere of this new one was rather tepid

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
First episode was alright. Not groundbreaking or anything and quite frankly a bit slow to pick up, but it has all the elements for some classic 24 action (terrorists, moles, computer mumbo jumbo...) so I guess I should give it a chance.

Really not a fan of that super arrogant computer analyst girl tho.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

-Blackadder- posted:

I just watched it. I miss Jack.

The new lead isn't bad parsae, but the whole show just feels like it's waiting for Jack to show up.

While watching I started thinking that it would be cool if this season's McGuffin was a mysterious weapon that multiple nations were afraid of. After spending the entire season tracking the weapon, in the last episode, the new protagonist finds it and it's reveled to be Jack Bauer locked away in some gulag.

Another idea I had would be for the main villain to be ultimately revealed to be Jack, and then of course in the following season we find out that he's undercover blah blah blah que team up.

Kiefer Sutherland is such an integral part of this show I don't know how successful it's going to be without him. He's supposedly pretty firm about not coming back and he's doing Designated Survivor right now anyway (which I really couldn't get into), but this show definitely needs him.

With how similar I felt 24 was getting to the Call of Duty games by the end of the series, that sounds like something they'd do. I was thinking he'd end up being a brainwashed Russian spy or something.

I'm currently watching the premier, and I'm definitely giving it a chance, even if it's off to a slow start.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly, after letting it digest, I don't think I'm sold on the show. The pace seems to be way too loving fast but maybe they just wanted to start running with the first arc. In the first hour we've already seem the mcguffin unencrypted flash drive with a text file for all embedded terrorist cells in the US which CTU is now aware of. Soooo there goes that element of surprise. So now it's a chase to get this list which I'm guessing we'll spend a few hours on and then we'll reveal the actual threat hopefully? Oh and the Flash getting knocked out means he's obviously not the mole. It'll probably be Stiles' cousin who wants revenge for CTU killing Edgar?

My guess is the first arc ends with CTU/Carter failing to get the list (because of the idiot greedy fucker who wants money for it now :wtc: ) and all the terrorist cells are activated, killing a bunch of people and spreading chaos everywhere. This would be a better than a loving nuke 4 hours in and would make a good distraction for the real threat of the day which is... probably china or Russia again. If it's Russia, then they'll probably drop hints about Bauer as you get to the end. If it's someone new, they'll use Tony's past as shadow op / terrorist to fill in the blanks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That rolling steel tube was one of the dumbest things I've seen on TV in a while.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

blue squares posted:

That rolling steel tube was one of the dumbest things I've seen on TV in a while.

Dude dying to it was great. Almost as slow as Austin Powers.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

I personally enjoyed the one terrorist getting headbutted so hard by the tied up Eric that he was sent flying into a cabinet.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Black Bauer Power Hour?

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Your Taint posted:

The Black Bauer Power Hour?

I thought Curtis was the Black Jack?

I really do hope Jack comes back in some capacity.

3 A.M. Radio fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bring back Freddie Prinze Jr. as a blind CTU monk and Chase with a hook hand.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just as Tony Almeida finishes his monologue about his evil plans and is about to kill our broken and helpless protagonist, an interdimensional cross-rip opens up behind Tony. Jack reaches through, putting Tony in a sleeper hold. Lightning shoots out as he pulls him through portal, and Jack gives a final thumbs up, dragging the struggling Tony back to the retirement zone.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Creamed Cormp posted:

First episode was alright. Not groundbreaking or anything and quite frankly a bit slow to pick up, but it has all the elements for some classic 24 action (terrorists, moles, computer mumbo jumbo...) so I guess I should give it a chance.

Really not a fan of that super arrogant computer analyst girl tho.

Pretty sure chloe was exactly that.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Holyshoot posted:

Pretty sure chloe was exactly that.

True, but Chloe felt like she had legit trouble interacting with other people normally to begin with so it was harder to be mad at her, new-chloe is too well adjusted to not seem dickish when she does the same thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

blue squares posted:

It was like a Half-Life 2 physics puzzle.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
24 should actually be 24, not 12 again. Give us a full season or don't even bother.

It worked with Jack Bauer because by that time you could focus completely on the plot and didn't need to spend much time establishing the characters. You're almost entirely resetting here, though, so you can't really have plot AND character development is such a short time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait Legacy is only 12 episodes?

EDIT: gently caress, it is. What's the loving point???

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Because 24 was was far too many episodes which resulted in a lot of filler and pointless twists and turns and 12 hours is by far the better format because it's much tighter?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Wandle Cax posted:

Because 24 was was far too many episodes which resulted in a lot of filler and pointless twists and turns and 12 hours is by far the better format because it's much tighter?

Then don't call this new thing 24.

Otherwise I'm going to reboot Firefly and make it about toddlers in beauty pageants.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 6, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Otherwise I'm going to reboot Firefly and make it about toddlers in beauty pageants.

Would probably be more entertaining than this new series of "12"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CTU's Very Not Good Half Day. That said, since they are only doing 12 hours then I hope they take advantage of the time gaps to do something silly like have something batshit insane happen in between episodes that we only see the aftermath or hear conversations of.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I always enjoyed all of the silly dumb stuff in 24, so this season got off to a perfect start. The series never really had that great of story telling and when they got all West Wing-y it was really cringe inducing and terrible. Just sit back, don't think, enjoy the stupid. Did that one terrorist get turned into a bloodstain by the pipe and didn't leave a body? Probably.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Did Firefly even have 12 episodes?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I was just happy to see an episode one moment when a CTU agent makes a rash decision to go rogue while in CTU. The tasering was in the same vein as Jack fire axing a guys head off in the interrogation room 30 minutes into the season.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Grinning Goblin posted:

I always enjoyed all of the silly dumb stuff in 24, so this season got off to a perfect start. The series never really had that great of story telling and when they got all West Wing-y it was really cringe inducing and terrible. Just sit back, don't think, enjoy the stupid. Did that one terrorist get turned into a bloodstain by the pipe and didn't leave a body? Probably.

Yeah and as was said that pipe was so slow moving you'd think he would have just run to the side... that scene was devolving into self-parody.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FogHelmut posted:

Did Firefly even have 12 episodes?

It had 14.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So by what episode is CTU going to be taken over, and how many moles will there be?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

So by what episode is CTU going to be taken over, and how many moles will there be?

The twist is that only one person in CTU is not a mole.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is a really dumb plan that they're entertaining actually trying to find the money. And to steal it from a police station :lol:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: this is ridiculously fake. They would have shot him by now.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I hope jimmy schmidt goes rouge and punches a terrorist

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I hope jimmy schmidt goes rouge and punches a terrorist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHImG_wpxVw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok I like where this ended.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought it was on at 9. :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Echo Chamber posted:

I thought it was on at 9. :(

You can watch what if Tony Stark really liked Robocop instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can watch what if Tony Stark really liked Robocop instead.

that's a good way to describe this

narcissistic private billionaires ultra militarize and directly control the police! OUR HEROS IN BLUE YEAH AWESOME.

• Locked thread