Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha this is like that time Jack was forced to rob the gas station :allears:

...except there's no Jack :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can watch what if Tony Stark really liked Robocop instead.

I was calling it If Tony Stark was too lazy to make a suit but that's good too.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I also lol'd really good at "Edgar Stiles was my cousin, he taught me everything he knew."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This teenager plot is the worst.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

FogHelmut posted:

Some things in 24 never change.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FogHelmut posted:

I gotta admit, I'm kinda interested to see how they explain how a teenager died all of a sudden to other people :allears:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta say, I enjoyed these first two episodes. Weird with no Jack but I like Corey Hawkins and the 24 formula is holding up well if that's your thing.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I gotta admit, I'm kinda interested to see how they explain how a teenager died all of a sudden to other people :allears:

I was thinking they're either going to blow everything up before people realize he's dead, or they're going to somehow pin the whole thing on him, like he died in a suicide bombing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm watching the episode now. I'm not done yet.

They're really doing a "What if everything Fox News said about Huma Abedin was true" plot?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sorry for the double post, but here's the boring prequel that Samsung keeps pushing.

Also, my temporary nicknames:
"Dr. Dre"
"Eowyn"
"Jimmy Smits"
"Huma Abedin"
"IT Dork"
"Edgar's Cousin"
"Yet Another Dick Head of CTU"
"Wife"
"Gang boss guy"
"Shade"
"Pedo Walter White"
"Teenager"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How could you not go with "Budget Ed Helms" instead of "IT Dork"?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Kingtheninja posted:

poo poo. :aaaaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I kept wondering who that guy was because I looked up Ed Helms on IMDB and it wasn't him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"Gang Boss Guy" = "Fake Stringer Bell"

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I admit this is a lovely start for the season but it doesn't mean I'll stop watching it. gotta see how bad it's gonna get

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

nawcom posted:

I admit this is a lovely start for the season but it doesn't mean I'll stop watching it. gotta see how bad it's gonna get

I made it through season six. Which was at least fascinatingly awful.

This reminds me of the first half of season eight, where the whole production feels dull and diluted.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
After all the moles and security breaches I'm amazed CTU still exists in whenever future this takes place in.

FogHelmut posted:

The teenager plot being the worst is part of 24's legacy.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Gotta say, I enjoyed these first two episodes. Weird with no Jack but I like Corey Hawkins and the 24 formula is holding up well if that's your thing.
I'm enjoying it too. Missing Chloe. And there are only 10 episodes left, this is going to fly by.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 8, 2017

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Echo Chamber posted:

"Pedo Walter White"

There is a 100% chance of this dude getting shot in the face by his (pretty sure she's really older than) HS-aged love interest.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Was Kim supposed to still be a teenager when she got caught in a bear trap and a mountain lion showed up? All of 24's seasons are starting to just be a giant blur to me at this point.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Grinning Goblin posted:

Was Kim supposed to still be a teenager when she got caught in a bear trap and a mountain lion showed up? All of 24's seasons are starting to just be a giant blur to me at this point.

She was 19 when Season 2 was filmed, so yup.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

FogHelmut posted:

"Gang Boss Guy" = "Fake Stringer Bell"

Stranger Bell.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mostly from memory. But I had to check the wiki also:

Season 2 is 18 months after Season 1.
Season 3 is three years after season 2.
4 is 18 months after 3.
5 is 18 months after 4.
6 is like 20 months after 5.
7 is almost four years after 6. (there was a year gap IRL because of the writers strike anyway)
8 is like 18 months after 7.
9 was around four years after 8.
Legacy is supposed to be three years after 9. But I think it makes more sense that Jimmy Smits is running for president in the first election after Day 9.

For the sake of this timeline summary, I don't care too much for the PS2 game or the DVD prequels and whatnot.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

24 The Game is legitimately a great time. A not-great game, but they really went the extra mile by bringing in the voice actors and one of the writers.

It also literally has a button that makes your character yell at people.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Narcissus1916 posted:

Like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand?!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Narcissus1916 posted:

24 The Game is legitimately a great time. A not-great game, but they really went the extra mile by bringing in the voice actors and one of the writers.

"Damnit!Damnit!Damnit!Damnit!Damnit!Damnit!"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just watch episode 2 and I liked it better than the first. At least the end made me want to watch the next episode. Still it all seems fairly paint by numbers for 24 and the lead isn't really anything special.

How is Designated Survivor doing? Maybe Kiefer will get sick of doing another not as good show and come back to 24 like he did after Touch.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 9, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Fox doesn't seem to understand that 24 was a very mediocre show with the exception of Kiefer's Jack Bauer. That's it, that's all there ever was to the show from Episode 1 to the series finale. Unless you think you have another actor who can create an all-time classic iconic character, don't even bother.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

-Blackadder- posted:

Just watch episode 2 and I liked it better than the first. At least the end made me want to watch the next episode. Still it all seems fairly paint by numbers for 24 and the lead isn't really anything special.

How is Designated Survivor doing? Maybe Kiefer will get sick of doing another not as good show and come back to 24 like he did after Touch.

This show has been pretty classic 24 so far but Jack was always the best part of the show and not having him hurts. I don't mind the new main character though.

Designated Survivor is a mess of a show. There's a lot of dumb ideas on the show, and the characters, aside from Kiefer and Kumar are fairly unlikable.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I read the original Designated Survivor script before ABC swept it up. The wife was a fierce immigration lawyer; there was an entire subplot about amnesty and undocumented workers that got stripped away in favor of "nagging wife". It was a solid script.

The show itself is not.

But screw that, I want to hop on the nostalgia train for a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBijOe5lRfw&t=2s

Marvel at that! Those graphics! Those pudgy pixels meant to simulate faces! The hilariously dinky gunplay!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I read the original Designated Survivor script before ABC swept it up. The wife was a fierce immigration lawyer; there was an entire subplot about amnesty and undocumented workers that got stripped away in favor of "nagging wife". It was a solid script.

The show itself is not.

But screw that, I want to hop on the nostalgia train for a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBijOe5lRfw&t=2s

Marvel at that! Those graphics! Those pudgy pixels meant to simulate faces! The hilariously dinky gunplay!

Man, I forgot there were interrogation minigames, those were great. You actually got to be Jack Bauer and shout TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB IS WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME DAMMIT.

It wasn't a great game but they did a good job at recreating what 24 felt like. Kim gets kidnapped, Jack goes rogue, CTU gets attacked. I don't remember if they had a mole or not though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

No mole, but you DID play as Chase. He's like twenty times more likable in the game than his actual season.

And you do get an attack on CTU, which occupies the space next to "Mole" on the 24 Bingo Card.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Not nearly enough sockets being opened up or perimeters being erected.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan

Basebf555 posted:

Fox doesn't seem to understand that 24 was a very mediocre show.

If by "mediocre" you mean awesome, then yes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Basebf555 posted:

Fox doesn't seem to understand that 24 was a very mediocre show with the exception of Kiefer's Jack Bauer. That's it, that's all there ever was to the show from Episode 1 to the series finale. Unless you think you have another actor who can create an all-time classic iconic character, don't even bother.

I don't think anyone watched 24 for the exceptional writing. If you take a step back it was super hokey and not at all realistic. It was a fun escape show where you tuned in every week to watch Jack Bauer kill terrorists in creative ways.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Your Taint posted:

I don't think anyone watched 24 for the exceptional writing. If you take a step back it was super hokey and not at all realistic. It was a fun escape show where you tuned in every week to watch Jack Bauer kill terrorists in creative ways.

Yeah, a typical Monday night in college was 24 followed by Raw. If Jack Bauer ever would have given someone the Fameasser, the whole house would have come down.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Sometimes it's good to take a step back and recall all the absolutely insane, crazy stuff that has happened in the world 24 takes place in. Air Force One shot down, mad presidents assassinating former presidents, nukes and bio weapons in LA, Chinese and Russian embassy staff eradicated, drone strikes in London, former Chinese secret service bosses decapitated on camera...

This new show has a hell of a legacy to live up to. I know it's early days but it's been rather pedestrian so far and I expect nothing less than top class lunacy, stat. Tazing that guy in the neck was awesome, though.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sentinel Red posted:

Sometimes it's good to take a step back and recall all the absolutely insane, crazy stuff that has happened in the world 24 takes place in. Air Force One shot down, mad presidents assassinating former presidents, nukes and bio weapons in LA, Chinese and Russian embassy staff eradicated, drone strikes in London, former Chinese secret service bosses decapitated on camera...

If 24 happened in real time at the end of the 4 season (if it would take that long) the US would be a police state because holy gently caress did a lot of baaad poo poo happen.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah, a typical Monday night in college was 24 followed by Raw. If Jack Bauer ever would have given someone the Fameasser, the whole house would have come down.

Takes too long to set up. A few terrorists should have eaten Stone Cold Stunners, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Episode took no time to defuse the only interesting thing going and going back to being boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Episode took no time to defuse the only interesting thing going and going back to being boring

Yeah super boring ending to the whole thing. Was looking forward to some Black Bauer killing the entire SWAT team.

• Locked thread