Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I look forward to the first QB conversation involving "leadership" that doesn't make me want to bang my head against a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Edit: ^^^dang it.

It doesn't matter, which is why it makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Its a nebulous bullshit term like calling a guy a "winner", as if being a "winner" is an inherent trait.

*QB screams at his lineman* "Ooooooh, look at that fiery, passionate leadership!"

*Different QB screams at his lineman* "He needs to take the responsibility on his shoulders and stop blaming teammates, like a true leader."

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Kalli posted:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/failed-completions-2016

Failed completions stats for last season.

A failed completion is any completion that doesn't get 45% of the needed yards on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down or all the yards on 3rd/4th down for a conversion.

I gave the article a quick perusal, but I didn't see any explanation as to why 45/60/100% were chosen as the breakdowns for this analysis (the 100% is self explanatory of course). Any idea what the reasoning is there? It seems arbitrary on its face, but I am curious if there is any deeper logic.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

TheChirurgeon posted:

If I recall correctly, it's based on some older analysis done for The Hidden Game of Football that looked at the value of yards and yards toward a first down. I haven't read it, but intuitively it makes sense that not every completion is a success--anything that doesn't get you a first down on third down or fourth down is easy, but also any 0-yard completion, and I expect the numbers probably come from the chances of getting a first down based on the yardage gained on the play--e.g. your chances of getting a first down if you get 45% or more of the required yards on first down, etc.

That was my guess, but I was curious if there was an actual analysis of this I had not seen. Its an interesting concept. I would imagine it would involve finding the correlation between percentage of the first down yardage picked up on 1st/2nd/3rd down and what the corresponding percentage of successfully picking up the first down on that possession is. That is, it was probably found that picking up 45% of the yardage to a first down on 1st down is the tipping point of being more likely than not to pick up the first.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think Kirk Cousins showed enough this past year to call him a top 10 QB, meanwhile Cam had a terrible season marred by injuries and poor play by his whole offensive cast, hard to say who is better at this point

I know its crazy, but I'm gonna go with the one that has an MVP on his resume.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Can't read a playbook through a cloud of smoke.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Shiiiit, that's actually pretty endearing. "Creepy me?" got a good chuckle out of me.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Can someone explain to me the bears' logic behind trying to trade cutler now after all but flying a plane over halas hall saying they will cut him and any team can sign him cheaper

I'm starting to think this Ryan Pace fellow may not be the franchise savior I had hoped for.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
He should have his US citizenship revoked.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
He should turn misleading tweets into his thing.

Edit: Hey, new page. Ummm...someone is going to throw a poo poo ton of money at Alshon Jeffery and be super annoyed when he spends half his contract injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Spoeank posted:

Mariota2Alshon

2QUESTIONABLE:HAMSTRING

• Locked thread