Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Kaep isn't on that list. He's going to be a FA.

Cutler too who is actually a semi-serviceable quarterback, but yeah neither of those guys changes the fact that Cousins is going to get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah basically it turns out DeMarco Murray is really good when he's nut hurt and not playing for Chip Kelly as far as I can tell.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's the king of roshambo obviously.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

evilweasel posted:

You can't really keep Jimmy G after next year AND Brady because Jimmy G is going to get paid and he's not going to stick around on a below-market salary before he gets his first big payday.

I'd like to think the NFL would wise up eventually and this wouldn't be the case, but Osweiler and stuff so it hasn't happened yet.

Jimmy has shown even less than Brock (he has better stats than Brock in Denver but with such a stupid small sample size that it doesn't matter) and by all rights shouldn't be able to demand much, but then again we're probably going to have at least two teams begging to trade away draft picks for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

urlacher was barely better than briggs

He had a solid four or so years of truly great play. The problem is everyone treated him like he was still the same guy after he started to lose his speed, which is what made him special. Like people were still pretending he was one of the best MLBs in the NFL at the end when he was just blah.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

I know it won't happen but how hard of a hit would Houston's salary cap take if they cut Brock?

25 million in dead cap if they cut him today, 19 million after June 1.

That drops to 6 million next year, then 3 million after June 1, 2018.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wonder what kind of deal Cutler's going to command. From an on the field standpoint he'd be an ok stopgap for several teams, but he isn't really worth committing a ton of years or money to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

It'd be mutually beneficial for both Cutler and the Texans to get a deal done.

Yeah I was thinking Houston and Denver would be good matches for Cutler, although Denver may be planning on Lynch or Romo I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Noctone posted:

hahahaha Cutler would never ever be welcome back in Denver

What the hell does Denver hold against him? I was thinking the problem would be convincing Cutler to go there.

Just spitballing though really, I don't think they'd ever think about it out of a misplaced devotion to Lynch. Like it's one thing to bring in a guy at Romo's level and see if you can keep him healthy while sitting your high draft pick, Cutler at his best is just ok. Ok just happens to be a lot better than what I believe they'll get out of their current roster.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sour Diesel posted:

jay cutler loving sucks

A lot of professional quarterbacks suck even worse is the problem though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Which NFL player is most likely to go all Charles Oakley on his team's owner?

(ps, go check twitter if you haven't)

Gotta be Steve Smith right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bad Moon posted:

I change my answer to Sam Shields

He seems more likely to climb to the top of Lambeau with a sniper rifle.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Naturally, it was apparently an illegal workout, as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats own Manziel's CFL negotiating rights.

Outlaw bloodlines.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

and yet no one else has any decent stat to compare with. someone tried using the garbage dvoa/dyar stats i guess but man

I don't think throwing a bunch of rate stats in a column is very effective, especially when you ignore significantly worse ones while claiming that Jay Cutler = Matt Ryan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pershing posted:

Works fine for me.

It worked for me too, but there's literally zero mention that the man was fired for repeatedly showing up to work drunk at USC.

Like, yeah, he's a coach who had some success. And alcoholism sucks. But...uh...that's something to worry about. Or if not worry about then at least mention.

e: Oh I missed that was a Falcons link. Let me revise that to say it's something to mention if you're anything other than the team who hired him.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 10, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

He's not even the most attractive QB on his own team

I mean, congrats on knowing what Dustin Vaughan looks like but I don't think I can agree.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

2nd Rounder...Traded up for...:laffo:

Buccaneers GM Jason Licht said K Roberto Aguayo "needs to have a great camp" to make the team.

It was KC the Bucs traded with and I remember being initially annoyed because there was someone or other I wanted to take at that spot.

I pretty much immediately forgot about that when I heard the pick and ever since I can't do anything but laugh when I think about it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm not sure what Kawalimus is complaining about. He already gets to tell his grandchildren the Ravens were the last team to win a playoff game against the Raiders in Oakland. How much more can a man ask from life?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Torrey Smith, Victor Cruz, uhhhhh Pierre Garcon probably

your 2017 San Francisco 49ers wide receivers. Who will throw to them? Matt Schaub, perhaps?

Taste the excitement.

Garcon seems too productive for the 49ers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's such a goddamned idiot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I get that they're all probably/almost surely addicts, but Blackmon's story seems the saddest to me. It's like he was just 'welp' and walked away from his career to keep drinking, he never even tried to get reinstated.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Azhais posted:

astroturf probably

Yeah old school astroturf was kind of a carpet of green stuff over (insufficient) padding. It was more like a basketball court than grass, so guys wore sneakers while playing on it.

Artificial playing surfaces now are...at least closer to natural as far as running on them goes. They have their own problems of course (rubber pellets getting into your eyes seems really annoying), but overall I'd guess it's an improvement.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 14, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Groovelord Neato posted:

shoulda been a kid they named.

Why would you condemn a poor goat like that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

I gotta tell ya, it's going to be real hard to get excited about football season again if Smith if the QB. I know how it ends. 9-7 and/or a first round exit.

I know that's a good problem to have for the bottom 15 teams in the league but geez.

He's good enough that there isn't an obvious upgrade, he's bad enough that you desperately want to upgrade from him. I have no clue what the answer is, I want to draft Mahomes but should that happen I also want Alex Smith to the be the quarterback for the next 2 years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

So, Mahomes is good? I have no knowledge about college QBs.

He's very much definitely not good right now, he has the tools to be amazing if somehow he ever puts it together. That isn't going to happen quickly, so that's why I'd like Smith to finish out his contract if somehow the Chiefs draft him.

e: And just in general about him I hope he goes somewhere that he sits.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/832265066103894016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Um...ok? Whooole lotta dead money but they do open up some cap space if that happens. Also means Dallas isn't getting what they want in trade offers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh and in other expected quarterback news the Chiefs are reportedly going to cut Nick Foles. I guess like Cleveland or the Jets might be a landing spot if they don't get what they want out of the draft? Or hell, maybe the Texans if he's cheap enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Cleveland is more likely to overpay a young QB than overpay a broken rear end Tony Romo.

Just don't go to Denver, Tony. That's all I ask

Also Tony gets a say in where he goes if he's cut, and it would have to be an absolutely insane overpay to even get him to think about Cleveland.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Denver is the only team that's in win now mode without a QB right? I guess the Vikes and Miami could be landing spots to if they were so inclined. Teddy (RIP at least you have your giant peen) is questionable for next year as is.

Houston, but they have no cap room. I could see a kind of argument for the Jets, they've got a bunch of aging but still good pieces on offense and in theory should have a decent defense (although obviously that wasn't the case last year). A lot of KC fans want that to happen but there's just no way, Andy loves Alex too much and Romo isn't enough of a sure thing to make him think twice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Vontae Davis :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think the Jets window has already closed with this current roster.

I tend to agree but I doubt they're thinking like that. I mean they should probably realize they need to move on from Revis as a starter at the least, but I bet they believe they have a good enough roster if they could just get good quarterback play and fix a few things.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Terroristic threats"??

Pretty common bullshit law, if I tell you "I'm going to kill you" I'm making a terroristic threat to your body. drat near any argument leading to a fight will have something like that going on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

corn on the cop posted:

That season-and-a-half where everyone thought Trent Richardson was a budding star sure looks hilarious in retrospect

He was so, soooooo good at Bama, and it wasn't just the offensive line like people try to claim although that obviously helped. I still don't understand how he bombed as badly as he did.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Rooneys will get the charges reduced & claim Revis off of waivers when the Jets cut him

Man I know you need secondary help but after last season I'm not sure this is the way to go about it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For more football oddities/bad contract chat Tamba Hali has an $8.5 million cap hit and costs more to cut than he'd make at 33 years old. He hasn't practiced in like 4 years (this is an exaggeration but not as big of one as you'd think, he almost never practices to rest his knees), and this was the case before he signed his most recent extension.

I love Tamba and John Dorsey has mainly done a pretty good job as a GM, but that contract is just :psyduck:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh no how will they draft new obese players to keep Shomars in business

Eh don't worry, the Chiefs will manage to lose draft picks for tampering again and lose Berry somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A Man and his dog posted:

Wait. This is dumb, but how the gently caress are the Patriots not even on that list?!?!?!

What. The. gently caress.

Looks like the Pats get the AFC West and NFC South, which aren't the weakest divisions to play against based on the 2016 season. The main reason looks like the Pats play in the AFC East and do not have to play against themselves. You'll notice the Bills, Dolphins and Jets are on that list.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm kinda curious but too lazy to look up why the Eagles aren't on that list and other NFC East teams are.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

cause the eagles can't play themselves

That's not the way that works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

corn on the cop posted: