Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah it feels stupid to say but if anything Chip was wronged. The roster is just awful and that's all Baalke's fault, with maybe a little Jed York thrown in with some of the retired guys going 'gently caress this, I'm out.' I guess the Jed situation might affect free agency some too.

I mean he's an rear end in a top hat so who cares, but he never had a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man it is a slow week for NFL news

Hey the Dolphins/Jags trade is about as good as it gets until we get to the combine. Then franchise tags, then free agency.

Oh god the offseason is long.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
When I think leadership it's mostly defensive guys who come to mind. Like Ed Reed firing up Miami at halftime, or all the Ray Lewis stuff we kinda poo poo on but probably did get guys pumped up.

Joe Montana's great leadership moment that everyone talks about is noticing John Candy in the crowd at the super bowl.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Id youre ever bored watch george foreman knock people out on youtube. Motherfucker hit so hard in his day still cool to watch.

Google George Foreman vs Ron Lyle and thank me later.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Its up there for me with Ali frazier I in my most watched.

It might be the perfect heavyweight fight, at least from an entertainment perspective and what you want to see out of big guys. Just two guys wading in and throwing bombs, and it goes back and forth and both guys are in real trouble multiple times...seriously everyone should watch that fight if they like any sort of punching sports.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whypick1 posted:

In case server barfs again:

Someone remind me what happened with the * here. What did the Giants do to lose 11 draft spots again?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Oh that's right, I'd forgotten all about the walkie talkie thing.

Probably because it happened about the same time as the Wake Forest announcer leaking plays to opponents thing, which was a much more :wtf: story.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think they'll franchise Berry and end up getting a deal done before the July deadline. Poe is probably gone either way though, unless they're absolutely sure they'll never get a deal done with Berry.

I don't think the DL is all that terrible with Howard and Bailey coming back. It's not ideal but those are a couple of good pieces that were missing most of the season. ILB is awful but theoretically addressable through the draft and cheap FA pickups. Houston will probably be fine, Tamba's old as poo poo and you can't trust him anymore and Dee Ford is....well a half bust until proven differently. I agree about being worried about the corners past Peters, even though Mitchell randomly looked pretty ok. It's a good deep corner draft and I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere between rounds 1-3 they take someone.

I guess in the end the defense was half smoke and mirrors anyway last year, so yeah by all rights they should regress. You can't like, depend on poo poo like Peters just stealing the ball from Kelvin Benjamin or Berry coming up with a Pick 6 and Pick 2 to seal a game. It'd be nice if they figured out a way to stop anyone in between the 20's next year.

As to Alex Smith....welp. Yeah.

I'm surprised you didn't include running back in your list of woes, because Charles is cut unless he goes against his own interests and takes nothing to play. And Spencer Ware doesn't look like who we thought he was early last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--damnit

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I don't think you can throw any bones at Chip Kelly for what happened in San Francisco. That situation was hopeless.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Chip but Christ, Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi couldn't have coached that 49ers team to more than 4 wins.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So if I were to meet Laurent Duvarney-Tardif after he gets his doctorate now that he's signed this huge deal, do I have to address him as Dr. Duvarney-Tardif? I mean, that's just hard to say even if he was an average doctor. Let alone someone I'm going to have to argue about football things on message boards for years since apparently he's the future in KC.

(I'm waiting on the guaranteed money before I freak out a whole lot about this)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

Watched a lot of patrick mahones footage from draftbreakdown.com last night before bed. I'm all in on drafting him now.

Now someone tell me how i'm either wrong, he sucks, or he won't be around by the time the Chiefs pick him.

Also, draftbreakdown is great.

His footwork is just awful. Like remember when JeffersonLives talked about Cam having bad footwork, that was nothing like what Mahomes does. Sometimes it's so bad it's the type of thing you would feel obligated to stop and correct in someone else's child if you saw them doing it in a park to save them from future ridicule. His arm is good but feeds into bad habits because he feels like he can trust it over, you know, like stepping into throws or not throwing across his body back over the middle or any of a whole bunch of terrible habits he has.

Having said that I like him, but I certainly don't want him to start right away and could live with him sitting for two years. Which is a problem because if you draft someone in the first or second round the expectation is that they'll be worth something sooner than that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

Ok, so draft him and have him sit behind Smith or some other guy for a year or so. I'm down with that.

Yeah if they take a QB this is what I hope happens. The other thing I'd be ok with at the moment is if Watson falls all the way to the Chiefs pick, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. And it'd be a lot less exciting either way, Watson has a lot lower ceiling (and frankly I don't really believe in him, but if they get him at 27 and Andy believes in him I'll live with it). It's unlikely to come to pass but Mahomes ceiling is absolutely ridiculous, he has so many tools if he ever puts things together and stops doing stupid poo poo.

These are all pre-combine thoughts of course, have they announced which QBs will be throwing this week?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DNS posted:

You want to replace Alex Smith with Young Alex Smith?

No not particularly, but I have some amount of faith in Andy Reid (despite his love of Alex) and if they take Watson it's because Reid buys into him.

I'd feel a lot better if this tweet was by anyone else. Aside from maybe Incarcerated Bob.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Sweet :woop:

e: About Berry

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Chief are releasing Jamaal Charles, very sad....

As happy as I am about locking Berry up I'm equally sad about this. It probably needed to be done but goddamn he was amazing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey you know who has opinions? Bill Polian has thoughts that he'd like to share on TO and Randy Moss's hall of fame chances

quote:

“I take neither,” he said. “First of all, here’s my position: (I want players who) contribute both individually and to the team. T.O.’s situation, T.O.’s temperament, his ability to contribute to the team was well known up front. He was going to be a problem. We did not want to deal with problem children. Others may. We didn’t.

“That’s number one. Number two, every year in Indianapolis we said the following: ‘The price of admission is 100 percent effort all the time in everything we do.’ Well, how can we take Randy Moss when we make that statement? It’s that simple.”

---

Furthermore, where effort was never questioned with Owens, it was with Moss — with Hall-of-Famer Jerry Rice once saying that watching someone as talented as Moss not always give 100 percent was “hard for me to swallow.” Nevertheless, like Owens, Moss is expected to reach Canton — maybe not as a first-ballot choice but soon.

“I think they will, unfortunately in my view,” said Polian, “because whether you like it or not. these ‘electoral campaigns’ have a way of swinging people. In my view, and I said this publicly last year, I think the Hall of Fames are for people who make their teams better, not who detract from them.

“Now, T.O. was a bigger detractor over his career than Moss, but you certainly wouldn’t call (Moss’ attitude) any harbinger or example of what you want in a football player other than when he decided to play. ‘I play when I play.’ I don’t buy it.”

TO and Moss are #2 and 3 in career receiving yards for the record.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Time posted:

Randy moss is unequivocally better than bo, and also every other raider ever

I appreciate what you're doing here but...yeah.

To stave off the response maybe Randy should have used some stickum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

This is a real good article on what it's like at the combine and why it's designed to make players neurotic messes:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/how-to-survive-the-nfl-combine/

Geoff Schwartz is consistently good. I'm sad for him that he didn't get a chance somewhere because he still wanted to play last year, but happy for us since he wrote a lot more. And now that he's officially retired hopefully he keeps doing it.

• Locked thread