Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'll go with Darqueze Dennard who qualifies as a former first round draft pick that is in the last year of his contract, and had a pretty frustrating go of it with the Bengals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The thing with the Browns is they have titanic cap space. So if they want to pay him $100k over minimum or whatever a vet long snapper earns, they can just give him a $1m roster bonus in the first year of a deal, and do the entire extra pay up front.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/832355509923676160

I'm reporting that Revis was beat up by Jack Reacher.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think we all need that video pretty much immediately

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Revis officially charged with the stuff from yesterday.

King Dunlap arrested for violating a restraining order at his ex's house.

Cool offseason guys.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Romo on the Texans would own so much.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If Romo was willing take a back loaded deal to get around Brock's giant cap this season would that work?

It's hard to fully backload a deal, but yeah, they could do like a 2-3 year version of the Revis contract with the Patriots to push money out.

Though you'd want to be careful, because if Romo dies, you're they on the hook for all of that. A risk they should probably take though.

Say he wants $15m a year (he makes $18m currently, and they can give him the rest in playtime / playoff / award incentives). I think he may go cheaper with more playtime incentives too considering he really only has a couple of options for winning teams.

$24m Signing bonus

'17: $1m base, $8m from SB = $9m

'18: $12m roster bonus $1m base, $8m from SB, = $21m. If he's good in year 1, you can then convert this RB into a SB, to move $6m to year 3. To protect him, you can make the roster bonus automatically obtained.

'19: $6m roster bonus, $1m base, $8m from SB = $15m... and if you cut him before the roster bonus, it instead becomes $8m in dead money (or $14m if you did the optional thing in Step 2).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think the main thing is Romo appears to have less realistic suitors then Peyton did which will suppress his number a bit. Really only the Broncos and Texans really seem to be in a position to go for him. The other good rosters that could upgrade at QB are locked into their guys, and the other QB needy teams tend to be messes up and down the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if Romo's deal is closer to what you said, but I could see both the Broncos and Texans hardballing that and I can't see him going to like the Bills, Bears, Jets or Jaguars to get it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Late but there's a whole lot of drunk mofos on the South Side that desperately need knocked out. Revis is a hero

The "terroristic threats" were "I got more guys coming" and "You want to be next?" according to the police report.

Revis needs safety help to beat up random 20 year olds.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If that's true, then go ahead and add a new suitor for Romo and up that a few million, haha.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

For more football oddities/bad contract chat Tamba Hali has an $8.5 million cap hit and costs more to cut than he'd make at 33 years old. He hasn't practiced in like 4 years (this is an exaggeration but not as big of one as you'd think, he almost never practices to rest his knees), and this was the case before he signed his most recent extension.

I love Tamba and John Dorsey has mainly done a pretty good job as a GM, but that contract is just :psyduck:

Oh, I see what happened there. They needed cap space in 2015, so they moved $3m of his pay to a fake extension that automatically would void in 2016 unless they sign him to a new deal by march 4th, and leave $4m in dead money.

That happens, and then a few days later they sign him to a 3 year deal that leaves him with a <$4m cap for 2016, which now balloons to $8.5m this year and next (and he gets cut next leaving $1m in dead space.

Yeah, that doesn't like very good GM work to not just extend him and save that $4m in cap space last year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Brock Osweiler's best game, where he had green laser pointers blocking his view all game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The most Buffalo Bills QB result would be Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A juror candidate in Hernandez’s double murder case drew a chuckle when she said she didn’t know much about the Hernandez case but remembered her co-workers discussing his involvement in deflate-gate.

“Deflate-gate has nothing to do with this case at all,” Suffolk Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke said, according to the Globe.

The Globe said Hernandez and his lawyers got a laugh over the mix-up. The woman was excused from jury duty.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I am curious about the difference between first and second degree forced sex.

Apparently first degree requires use/threat of a weapon, kidnapping, serious physical harm or breaking and entering into their location.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I guess this makes a "date rape" style assault a second degree then. I hope there is little difference in sentencing.

Yeah, that's second degree along with "forcible compulsion", or you're their doctor or they're elderly/infirm. There's also 3rd degree where they said or made clear "no".

The Aatrek statutes appear to not care about anything other then the act and ages.

Class 1 is victim under 12, and 24 months older
Class 2 is 12-14 and over 3 years older
Class 3 is 14-16 and 4 years

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In non-rape news. The Revis aftermath video is out and a bunch of football twitter heads are going ... that isn't Revis's voice on the video.

So that's something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently Jordan Rodgers is the ESPN controversy fuel of the day as he spent awhile this morning arguing that Kirk Cousins is better then Cam Newton.

Short version:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 21, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man it is a slow week for NFL news

It's dumb as hell, but I was wondering why ESPN seemed to have everyone debating Cam vs Cousins all of a sudden this afternoon and realized they had someone crank the hot take machine.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

I see guys described as leaders/not leaders often but rarely see anything substantial in terms of "here's what they do to that proves this is the case" and so I wonder if it even matters. Like I'm sure some of these guys are really charismatic and some are really into studying film, but the difference between Brady and Weeden isn't leadership

Tom Brady will scream at dudes and sulk on the sidelines when he's playing badly. But that just shows what a firey perfectionist he is.

Now Cam Newton, there's a hotheaded babyman throwing a tantrum.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

When I think leadership it's mostly defensive guys who come to mind. Like Ed Reed firing up Miami at halftime, or all the Ray Lewis stuff we kinda poo poo on but probably did get guys pumped up.

Joe Montana's great leadership moment that everyone talks about is noticing John Candy in the crowd at the super bowl.

Something that came up in a random interview with one of the Patriots was that the fiery guy during halftime of the Superbowl that was rallying everyone was... Logan Ryan.

I think what we are presented from announcers/talking heads when it comes to that stuff is almost entirely fictional.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's some nerd stuff instead if you don't wanna "debate" Kirk vs Cam

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/failed-completions-2016

Failed completions stats for last season.

A failed completion is any completion that doesn't get 45% of the needed yards on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down or all the yards on 3rd/4th down for a conversion.

Cam was actually the guy least likely to throw a failed completion this year, with only 49 in 270 completions. (Barkley was actually the best, but come on).

Flacco was the worst at 144 of 436, or literally a third of his completions this year. (Goff was actually the worst, but come on).

Cam was also 3rd in Alex and Flacco was 31st, so hey Ravens, maybe fix whatever the gently caress is going on with your passing game.

For teams, the Jaguars and Giants were the teams most likely to cause failed completions, which is interesting (how many of those were just grinding clock against the Jags?) while, unsurprisingly, the Saints and Packers were the worst at causing failed completions

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

If I recall correctly, it's based on some older analysis done for The Hidden Game of Football that looked at the value of yards and yards toward a first down. I haven't read it, but intuitively it makes sense that not every completion is a success--anything that doesn't get you a first down on third down or fourth down is easy, but also any 0-yard completion, and I expect the numbers probably come from the chances of getting a first down based on the yardage gained on the play--e.g. your chances of getting a first down if you get 45% or more of the required yards on first down, etc.

Yeah, it's taken directly from that book and buried on their methodology page that I honestly don't know how to get to other then from their First time here? page... which is itself buried. Man is their website design ancient / bad: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

DVOA is based on a further breakdown of that, where you can have fractions of a success (ie, getting 8 yards on 3rd and 10 is better then 0 yards, especially if you're in a situation where you have to or it'll make you consider going for it).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you were arguing who would be more likely to produce more next year, I could see and probably agree with arguing for Kirk, because Washington's offense is a fantastic unit. But at the same time, it's also really obvious that Cam is a better quarterback.

See also the last like six? seven? years of Philip Rivers compared to most other quarterbacks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They'll have to overpay to get players to sign there, and that means they'll have to cut some guys in 2 years when those guys bust.

The question is, do they have the FO and coaches to become the Raiders or the Jaguars in the meantime?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tom's making a bunch of dad jokes while getting to the bottom of this case. Also yes, Pokemon is dad jokes now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jameis Winston posted:

But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men (are) supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to. Scream it!

:ohdear:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 23, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cavauro posted:

did he really say gentile

nope, that's my bad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

World class athlete Tom Brady: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ26HsGB635/

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

I don't see any pokemon...

That think in the top left is Swiper from Dora the Explora.

I googled the anime guy on the bottom left and confirmed he's from Pokemon.

It's a good reminder that no matter your station in life, you will sit down with your kids and watch Pokemon and Air Bud movies.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What they should do with the pro bowl is have the yearly awards ceremony before it, and maybe devote some time during the shitawful game to sideline interviewing the various winners. So those guys get the spotlight of those awards to themselves instead of it being dumped out the night before and promptly ignored in pre-Superbowl hype.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Where all the child prostitutes at?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A 5th rounder for losing Akiem Hicks? Cool

11 3rd rounders being handed out means there's probably a problem with the algorithm not adjusting for contract values enough.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gronk is gonna have the best HoF induction speech.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

"Stay tuned for Billy and the Gronk, next on ABC!"

Should just reboot Coach with Gronk as Dauber

Also bring back the very special episode where you find out Luther is a Sandusky.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 27, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That looks like a good, fair contract for a guy as good as AB.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Ha!

I'd say if I were Cousins I'd be pissed, but $24 million.

A long term deal would probably pay Cousins like $20+ million per, so I can see why you just say gently caress it and franchise him again.

But yeah, Kirk deserves to be pissed.... about getting more money then just about any NFL player is actually guaranteed.

Though as long as Washington re-signs their weapons, he's in pretty much the best chance to succeed and demand even more money next year now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm talking about why they franchised him for this year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Moss went for 60 / 1000 / 8 his first year in Oakland with an aging Kerry Collins at QB then had a garbage year his second because the Raiders went with Andrew Walter at QB with an offensive coordinator who hadn't worked since the mid 80's and was managing a bed and breakfast for the previous like decade because Al was completely off his rocker by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I will never forget watching the raiders that year, watching Andrew Walter take these gigantic 7 step dropbacks while his receivers ran routes that'd take 5+ seconds to get open and then he would get crushed by every pass rusher at the same time.

That was also the year when they beat a concussed Roethlisberger by pick-sixing him twice and we were all convinced Nnamdi was the best CB in the league.

• Locked thread