Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Noted "great character guy" Marvin Harrison def belongs in the hall though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

A Man and his dog posted:

Who was even throwing him the ball with the Raiders?

A 35+ old Rich Gannon ?

Kerry Collins and uh, Aaron Brooks. Also I think Andrew Walter got in there for a few games

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

Idk, he'd still get a bunch of carries, have a great young back to mentor on his favorite team, and you have to want to run behind that o line. It depends on what kind of offers he gets I suppose. But the Cowboys have a while before they have to pay Zeke, so they wouldn't have to wrap up a ton of money in the RB position to do it.

Unless it happens for pennies, AP won't be a Cowboy

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

Yeah idk their overall cap situation. Just saying that they wouldn't have an excessive amount tied up in RB if they did sign him. That doesn't mean they'd have the cap space.

They'll have more room after Romo's gone and they (probably) extend Witten, but not enough to make a big splash. But it should be clear that the position isn't a major priority for them from a spending standpoint, which is also why they let DeMarco Murray walk two years ago when he wanted more than $4M per year. They (correctly) believe that they don't need to overspend at that position to succeed, given their offensive line.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

So you reckon the wont pay Zeke an absurd amount of money if hes still producing at the end of his Rookie contract?

We're still four years away from that but no, I don't think they will unless he's somehow transcendently good over the next 4 years and still improving. People talk a lot about Dallas' offensive line as the reason for Dak's success but the reality is that team's sack rate isn't much lower than the league average--the line does much more for Zeke than it does Dak. Zeke is still really good, but it's hard to look at DMC's 2015 (10 games, 1,089 yards, 3 TDs with absolute dogshit QBs and 8+ guys in the box on every down) and Zeke's 2016 (15-game,s 1,631-yard, 15 TDs wtih a strong QB) and think that they're so far off that you need to pay Elliott $12M/year to keep the team working.

The larger problem isn't Zeke, it's that running backs just aren't that important in today's NFL. Zeke had a monster season, but you could make a compelling case that he was only the third- or fourth-best RB in the league last season (something I'd agree with--I think Johnson, McCoy, and Bell are all better backs). He didn't lead the league in rushing TDs or YPA, and neither Super Bowl team leaned heavily on their run game in the regular season. Two of the teams that beat Dallas (Green Bay and the Giants) had total dumpster fire situations at RB. So no, unless he turns out to be the next Barry Sanders, I don't think we'll break the bank to keep Zeke once his fifth year option is done, and that'll be the correct move.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

The most likely scenario if Zeke is one of the better backs in football is they extend him after year 3 to a large, but not crazy extension and they ride him until he's ~30 and then let him go.

yeah, I'd agree with that, with the caveat that they would also not have another young RB set to replace him on the roster at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
e:whoops

• Locked thread