Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

Bill has been a coach of some kind in 10 super bowls. 7 of them wins.

bill parcells has never won a super bowl without the Good Bill

or Evil Bill, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

Pats fan coworker posted

but you posted that :confused:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

i was plaing video games

it seemed like i was too

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spoeank posted:

Why yes I would love to give you the second overall and another pick for the Tom Brady Backup du jour. That seems like a reasonable return.

the only owner more likely to pull the trigger on that would be jim irsay on a bender, but he doesn't have the pick

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Devin McCourty also not going to White House.

I wonder if this reaches a tipping point where there are 15-20 players not going if the White House would cancel it out of embarrassment?

What am I saying, this president can never be embarrassed.

The president didn't even watch the whole game and is likely unaware that there's anyone on the team besides Brady.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

If anyone has any real insight, how does Jimmy G compare to other previous Brady Backups? I know the sample size is pretty small in terms of NFL tape on him.

There was nothing on tape for Mallet or Hoyer who never really got to play. They got hired elsewhere on the strength of Patriots coaches who liked them in practice. The only real comparison is Cassell and I can't say much about how they compare, but Cassell got to throw to Randy Moss in his 11-5 season.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol the patriots are actually going to get a first

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, that sounds good until you look at all the free agents they have to resign, like our 2 starting CB (Butler and Ryan), our #2 and #3 TE (Bennett and Lengel), our #2 FS (Harmon), our #1 RB (LG Blount), several members of the defensive front 7 (Long, Branch, Sheard, Hightower) and several other lesser pieces that will probably not have that big of an impact and something will probably done with Amendola's contract, cause that guy is not going to make 6mil next year.

Not saying we are not in a great position and we will win another Super Bowl if we don't sustain major injuries next season, but it's not like we have $60m+ to spend on upgrades.

Blount won't be expensive after his flameout with the Steelers and if he tries to get paid he'll be sent away. Bennett is likely to get overpaid by someone else but I could see them keeping him. A lot of that $60m is going to be spent but once you look at it, it's not nearly as much as you'd think.

But yeah, that's why they traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, cause there was no way to pay everyone whose getting a payday this year.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Who cares? Rams wr are complete trash and if all of them were cut tomorrow it wouldn't impact LAs overall skill at the position.

If you can't even motivate a guy on the roster bubble to show up and practice that's not exactly great.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Surely it's not a red flag that the Patriots are actively trying to trade away the #1 backup to their starter who turns 40 this year! :haw:

It's really not. They can't resign him next year without cutting Brady, they can't trade him next year and get much of any value, so the sole reason not to try and trade him was if you were ready to cut/trade Brady at the end of next year (I think it's basically impossible to cut him due to the dead money hit this year). And while yeah, Brady's old, he doesn't have anything like the neck problem Manning had. He's in excellent heath so you don't really know when he's going to decline.

If Jimmy G had 2-3 years left on his rookie contract you'd be right, but he doesn't. They can't just keep him around to replace Brady in the next few years. Their options are:

(a) Plan to cut Brady at the end of next year, sign Jimmy G to a long-term contract or have him play on the franchise tag to see if he's really worth keeping
(b) Keep Jimmy G around next year and let him walk if Brady is still good, collecting a 3rd round comp pick (or getting something along those lines for trading him to another team that can use the franchise tag on him to exclusively negotiate).
(c) Trade Jimmy G now, bank the pick, hope Brisset is good (and he's still got a few years to evaluate him while waiting for Brady to decline), and probably draft another late-round flier to up the odds.

You can't really keep Jimmy G after next year AND Brady because Jimmy G is going to get paid and he's not going to stick around on a below-market salary before he gets his first big payday. Brady is already taking as little money as you can get him to take, and they can't afford both. There's some muttering that maybe Jimmy G would accept a below-market deal in exchange for a guarantee he'll be the starter but I can't imagine why he would do that: this is his big chance to be set for life, and he's going to get every last dollar now and then maybe start cutting deals once he's gotten his payday.

No matter what, it's a gamble. But it's probably why the Patriots are insisting on a first-round pick: a first-round pick is worth taking the risk next year is Brady's last good year, but a second round pick probably isn't.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 8, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

And just why the hell can't you pay Jimmy G back-up numbers?

Because if he hit FA this year he'd get more than Brock. And Brock is loving set for life, which is why you don't accept below-market before you've proven you're a long-term starter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

I'd like to think the NFL would wise up eventually and this wouldn't be the case, but Osweiler and stuff so it hasn't happened yet.

Jimmy has shown even less than Brock (he has better stats than Brock in Denver but with such a stupid small sample size that it doesn't matter) and by all rights shouldn't be able to demand much, but then again we're probably going to have at least two teams begging to trade away draft picks for him.

Its not that people are stupid. It's that if you're a GM/Coach, you're not going to win without a QB, and so you're going to mortgage the future to get one. Who cares if the team is hosed in three years if it didn't work out: you're fired either way.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

He should probably be worth a 2nd at most. But let's say for argument sake that the reports of the Bears, Browns and 49ers all showing interest are true it would be easy to see how that could turn into a low end 1st.

I don't think it's worth it for the Patriots to trade him for only a 2nd though. If Brady were 35, I expect that's what he'd command, but Brady is getting up there so you can't just pay what he's worth, you have to pay the Patriots enough to take the risk of letting him go.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

You can only even consider that if Brady is willing to let go if he slips, and he doesn't sound willing going by what he's said.

To keep Jimmy you'd almost certainly have to franchise him for 2018 (so $21m ish), a year in which they'd owe Brady $22m or $14m in dead space if they moved on from him.

Right, I keep forgetting how bad the dead cap would be even if they cut Brady next year. That said think they could sign Jimmy to a long-term contract at below franchise amounts as long as it had sufficient guarantees. I expect he'd happily collect good but not great money one year, either backing up or starting, as long as he had sufficient guarantees so he's getting paid no matter what and they have to keep him around because of the guarantees.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

well thats dumb as all loving hell

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

Is that account just for funsies?

It claims to be real. I'm pretty loath to believe its real because it keeps telling me exactly what I want to hear and that makes me suspicious.

The only thing I know of that suggests it might be legit is that account tweeted out something about trump planning on signing an anti-lgbt EO, and other news sources subsequently reported on that, but I never bothered to track down if they actually broke that news first (the order was later kiboshed because gays are probably the one minority trump doesn't have a problem with and that was right about the time he got mad people kept having him sign things without explaining what they were in small words). If they were actually the first to break it that suggests its legit, but my suspicion is that they weren't, or they broke it when it was rumored around DC but not firmly enough for people to report on it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

As for the actual Tweet, the idea that Trump would lobby Kraft to cut players who skip the WH visit is absurd, given that actually doing that would destroy the franchise and even Trump has to understand that. It's more a "what would a comically stupid dictator do", aka. what plays with the Democratic base.

that's not a thing in today's world

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

News: rumors are that the Browns, Bears, and 9ers may be interested enough in Garoppolo to fork over a 1st + other picks, especially due to the untested draft class at QB.

Views: If the net result of Deflategate is that the Pats win the superbowl and, because they got to highlight Garoppolo for 1.5 games, come away with net more draft picks I may well pass out from the pure strain joy.

first plus other picks

my sides

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

and the bears and the 49ers only have super-high first-round picks to trade

maybe they'll only offer next year and not this year :smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

is he cooked?

I ask because Amendola probably should be replaced like last year

Amendola is fine, he's just being paid like he's Edelman instead of being the Edelman backup. I expect now that he's gotten two super bowl rings and did well in the super bowl he's going to be less into a pay cut and will check the market elsewhere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm pretty skeptical Martellus Bennett is going to be a Patriot next season. He's going to be 30 this year, he's got his ring, time to cash in.

I think he specifically said that super bowl winners get overpaid, which sure sounds like he's angling to get overpaid.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

As for Marty B., he rejected an contract extension offered before the season, when there were still a lot of question marks regarding his character of 7m py, so that would logically be the starting point for any new contract and the ceiling with regards to what New England will offer is 9m py, as that is what Gronk is making and they can't pay Marty B. more than Gronk.

Gronk's contract is odd and it's not easy to make direct comparisons because it's structured around him being an injury risk. But Gronk only makes $6.75m next year, but then $11m and then $12m for the next two years. I think whatever happens with his contract is going to depend entirely on how healthy he stays this year. He's such an incredible player when he's on the field but his injury risk means he's so frequently out during the playoffs when they need him the most.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

I get that they're all probably/almost surely addicts, but Blackmon's story seems the saddest to me. It's like he was just 'welp' and walked away from his career to keep drinking, he never even tried to get reinstated.

How much cash did he actually get paid and got to keep?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Hate to break it to ya man but that's what most players are like on SM. He was praising the Giants and NY for his year here and then he went to Chicago and instantly switched to Chi-town praise. The guy isn't dumb, he isn't going to say meh about his current team/town

Bennett seems to genuinely have less friction with management at NE than he did anywhere else. I don't think that buys the Patriots much, if any, discount - just that he actually did fit in well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm happy to hear the thoughts of athletes on matters that impact their profession (e.g. that bill the NFLPA is fighting over with the Bears owners) but other than that I'm not more interested in their opinions than I am in the opinion of some waitress.

Who is allowed to have an opinion on politics in your world?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the colts will never be as successful a franchise as the patriots even if brady and bill retire today

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They made the playoffs this last season you monster.

making the playoffs by winning the afc south doesn't count

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

a neat cape posted:

He's talking about Stafford

whoops

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

whiteyfats posted:

Stop being mean, guys. :saddowns:

We try our best in the AFC South.

:smith:

but really, do you?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

iospace posted:

So here's my question.

Without the election, and if ratings stay low, what's getting blamed by the NFL that's influencing viewership from the outside?

matt patricia, for his goodell clown shirt

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

whypick1 posted:

It can't not be Cleveland, right?

Cleveland isn't a team that just needs a QB to put them over the top. They're a team that needs a young QB they can have for years and build around. You get Romo if you think you've got a team that can win if only you get a decent QB, like the Texans.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

suuure, remember everyone being amazed that Tom Brady, noted health nut who forgoes (most) human pleasures to be a QB machine, played at a high level being 39 years old?

Now Mr. Romo Glass wants to do the same?

I have my doubts.

Well, Tom Brady played a lot more football in the last two years than Romo did.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

im pretty sure if you're out cold for ten minutes you're in a movie or you're dead

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure, I don't think he cares about the quantity that much. But guaranteed money and signing bonus do more than just line his mansion; they help ensure that he'll get to chance to play at least one more season, which he probably does care about.

That's probably a good case for why he's going to the Texans: they have to backload his contract because of lolbrock, he wants them to backload his contract (with guaranteed money) so they're stuck with him at least 2-3 years, so it's a pretty perfect fit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Skins will keep tagging him year after year until he has a bad year then dump him

I think that repeated franchise tags get stupid expensive fast.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

I think you can't tag more than twice in a row anyway?

Even if you can, tagging him again in 2018 would be $29m :stare:

I can't find any indication that you can't tag more than twice, and at least one article assuming you could go at least three times.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

Maybe it's just not feasible to tag more than twice

At that point you're paying 144% of the average of the top five at the position, which is...a lot. You're making the guy, by far, the best paid at his position in the league after paying him top-notch money for two previous years. It just can't make sense in anything but the craziest of circumstances.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Rooneys will get the charges reduced & claim Revis off of waivers when the Jets cut him

no way they take that contract

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Man and his dog posted:

Wait. This is dumb, but how the gently caress are the Patriots not even on that list?!?!?!

What. The. gently caress.

the rich get richer :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, trading a player is the same as cutting him for cap purposes.

Not quite. If they trade him, they're off the hook for this year's salary (16m) which the new team would pick up because this year is guaranteed. The signing bonuses would accelerate: that means they take a $9m cap hit (the remaining parts of his signing bonus) but not a $25m cap hit (which includes this year's salary). So basically, the Texans can ship Brock off to someone with $16m of cap space to burn and pay the other team some draft picks in exchange for torching their cap this year, though I'm sure there's some limitations on those sorts of trades. Maybe the Browns would like some extra picks.

If they cut him this year they have to take the cap hit of both his salary this year and the prorated bonus.

• Locked thread