Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jericho just put Tom Brady on The List :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

"My cabbages!"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nobody is trading a first for Jimmy G

Well maybe the Texans because Patriots Way

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

I know it won't happen but how hard of a hit would Houston's salary cap take if they cut Brock?

$6m in additional cap hit this year (or $3m if June 1st) to cut him vs keeping him

a patagonian cavy posted:

I think someone's* gonna be dumb enough, honestly

* someone=bears/49ers/browns/jags/jets

The Jags aren't ready to cut bait on Bortles just yet I don't think, especially not for Jimmy G. Any team desperate enough to roll the dice on Jimmy is going to have too high a first round pick to be willing to give it up

It'd have to be something like swapping firsts or swapping a first for a second

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There are people seriously saying that the Texans should just cut him anyway to get his "losing culture" out of the locker room :stare:

The argument is that $6m isn't that much cap to eat, but... that's a pretty decent player, or could put you over the top to get a very good player where you might otherwise come up short salary-wise

It's not like they have to carry four QBs if they go after one either, just cut Weeden and save ~$3m on the cap vs losing $6m by cutting Brock

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Brock look in camp?

Everything was sunshine and roses until the season actually started

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm salivating at the idea of Cutler in Houston and sad that it's not going to happen

I know he's not the greatest but he's good enough to make this team scary

Surely there's some kind of weird way to make the contract to minimize the cap hit this year and absorb a larger one next year. I don't know how the rules work for raises tbh, but I assume you can't just completely backload everything. Like a three year deal with a good sized bonus that's spread over the final two years instead of over all three

How did the Patriots magic the cap with Revis exactly?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

He's also very clearly who he is, and old, so the hosed teams aren't going to be interested in him.

It'd be mutually beneficial for both Cutler and the Texans to get a deal done.

I can't see a way the Texans can afford him unless they let some key parts go. He's not going to play for the minimum, he still has some pride

Right now they have $21m in cap space. Some easy cuts I can see:

Tony Bergstrom - $2.75m
Brandon Weeden - $1.55m (was off on the number earlier)
If they want to be truly heartless: Derek Newton - $3m

Annnd.. that's about it for cuts that give them any meaningful cap room. I assume they'll cut a few $500k guys too, whatever. So that brings them to $28m in cap space

Notable free agents
AJ Bouye - The big one, probably $10-12m AAV
Shane Lechler - He'll be back probably around $2m
Ryan Griffin - They might let him walk with the way CJF broke out this season, but let's say $5m AAV
Maybe Vince Wilfork? If so, probably ~$4-5m
They also need to work out a long term deal with Nuk

Once you factor in money for draft picks and I don't see where any signings come from TBH. They'd have to do something painful like cut Jonathan Joseph (or restructure him which could work) and/or Brian Cushing and/or Duane Brown (no way they cut him, but a restructure could be possible)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

JJ Watt isn't even in the top 5 for the Texans? Better tell that to literally every girl in Houston

Mercilus looks kind of like a young Idris Elba which I never noticed before. No wonder he was #1

The other four on that list are various shades of weird looking and I have no idea how they finished above Cushing, Watt, Brown, Sua Filo or Covington

How is Cam not in the top 5 for the Panthers?

:laugh:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 10, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

Hint: it rhymes with "figment"

Their #1 is black

I'm legit disappointed the Colts didn't somehow have Luck sneak onto the list

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 10, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This may be too much nitpicking at a list that has Joe Flacco as the most attractive person in the NFL

He's not even the most attractive QB on his own team

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 10, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aw hell I didn't realize the Ravens had released Josh Johnson

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just read an article on "If the Texans can sign Martellus Bennett for $4-5m AAV..." and had to stop reading immediately :psyduck:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

It's a great rivalry!

Better than the guy who bet $1.1 million!

Or the guys who kept letting their bet on the Packers ride week after week

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Flikken posted:

Yup, believeland. And the cavs won a championship right after it came out.

Two blown 3-1 leads in a row

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Me too, but on the other hand, he LOVES New England. His Twitter is full of posts about how he loves the people up here and being part of the team. If the Pats will pay him, I expect him to go at least one more season and funnel the cash into his kids book company.

What have you seen to lead you to believe this will happen

Aside from Brady and Gronk I'm trying to think of who the Patriots paid their real value for any amount of time (Revis doesn't count, that was a rental, and hell Brady isn't making as much as he should really)

GaussianCopula posted:

My general principle: Athletes should stay out of politics and politicians should stay out of sports.

"Stick to sports" I tell the athlete as I prepare my own political diatribe

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Stay in your lane Intruder.

Getting cut off makes me insane

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

sean10mm posted:

IN GENERAL I don't personally care what athletes think about anything. Most of them are idiots about anything important in the world (like most people in general.)

That doesn't mean the athletes who aren't morons should be shouted down for trying to use their fame and fortune for good causes, though. Just because MOST of their opinions on important issues are dumb white noise doesn't mean the world would be better off if they ALL shut up.

I dunno, I tried to have a hot take there and it came out boring. :effort:

The general principle seems to be "If (celebrity/athlete) says something I don't like he or she should stick to being a celebrity or athlete"

That's why conservatives love Ted Nugent/Curt Schilling but think Alec Baldwin/Martellus Bennett should shut up and vice versa

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Athletes aren't well versed politicians and should stay out of the matter entirely

*advocates sinking boatloads of refugees*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

When are the Bears going to cut Cuttie already so I can get my hopes up only to watch him sign with like the Jets or Bills

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

James Woods sued a guy for $10 million for making fun of him on twitter, the guy died, and now he's suing the guy's family

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Blair Walsh is the NFL's most famous leftist.

He's your kicker now though :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seeing Seth Rollins continue to dominate the Madden tournament on UUDD despite insisting on sticking with his garbage rear end Bears is amazing speaking of which

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wish the Patriots stupid "You can play here for less and win or go get paid somewhere else" poo poo would blow up in their faces instead of them replacing departures with nobodies who suddenly blossom year after loving year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Atlanta's zoo had an online contest to name a baby panda a few years ago.

"Bling Bling the Panda" won.

They didn't go through with it.

Surprised it wasn't Pandy McPandaface

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Who will give Vince Young a chance? Is anyone that desperate?

I'd take 2017 Vince Young over Brock

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 17, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lmfao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Texans land Tony Romo I'm going to make a yuge Superbowl LII toxx

Probably

This itself is not a toxx :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The skins have more than $60m in cap space so they could potentially just eat the $24m franchise tag and then see if he blinks and signs a long term deal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I think that repeated franchise tags get stupid expensive fast.

I think you can't tag more than twice in a row anyway?

Even if you can, tagging him again in 2018 would be $29m :stare:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Romo to Washington, Cousins to Houston with his deal structured so that the first year's cap hit is tiny and then it blows up after they can cut Brock next offseason :getin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I can't find any indication that you can't tag more than twice, and at least one article assuming you could go at least three times.

Maybe it's just not feasible to tag more than twice

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

I'm very disappointed to see that the Texans don't play the Cowboys next season.

If they get Romo, they just might :grin:

Imagine Romo leading the Texans to victory over the Cowboys in the Superbowl

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

That's cool, at least the Steelers won 2 playoff games this year

The Steelers win over the Dolphins was about as legit as the Texans over the Raiders

extremely legit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

is that what caused the refs to make baffingly bad calls

The calls were bad but the Texans completely blew two coverages that lead to long touchdowns on back to back drives, that wasn't the refs' fault. Of course, you could argue the Texans should have been able to chew up the clock if not for those terrible spots on 3rd and 4th and short. Ah well

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Man I am trying really hard to remember the Pats/Texans games and I can't remember a goddamn thing about it.

Brady got picked off twice :colbert:

Basically the Texans wrote a blueprint for how to bother Brady and both the Steelers and Falcons said "no thanks"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those spots were loving shameful, though

I blame O'Brien for not challenging the first spot. It was the more obvious of the two anyway, and if you lose the challenge you still have another shot

Although I wonder why he had to challenge the second spot instead of an automatic review since it was a turnover

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: Wait, that's wrong, nvm

Also the Patriots get to play the Texans which is probably easier than what the other AFCE teams play against

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A Man and his dog posted:

Jesus Christ.....

What is wrong with people. We need 50 different sex code violations.

drat.

:ironicat:`

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirk Cousins is cerebral and a leader while Cam offers only athleticism

Dogwhistle at its finest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

She's right

• Locked thread