Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Problem description: My system was working fine when I shut it down last night, using Start-> Shut Down. This morning, however, it will not boot up - not even as far as the BIOS, and the red CPU light on the motherboard is staying lit, which according to the motherboard manual is the sign of a critical problem. I'm not even getting any "beep codes", even when plugging in another PC speaker to the motherboard.

All I can think of is that my CPU sems to be fried, which frankly makes no sense since it was perfectly happy last night. (Couldn't have been a power surge or blackout as it's plugged into a surge-protected UPS.)

Attempted fixes:
  • Tried turning it off and on again
  • unplugged and reseated all the connections
  • reseated the RAM
  • tried using the button on the motherboard to get you into the BIOS without waiting for the POST screen
  • Swapped out the new graphics card for my old one
  • Tried resetting the CMOS to try and restore the BIOS

None of which has had any effect. I had the power off when playing with everything on the motherboard.

Recent changes:

A few recent changes:
  • I cloned several partitions to a new hard drive (none were a system/windows partition)
  • I disconnected an unused hard drive (I was planning to use it as a RAID 1 mirror, but made the error of copying the hard drives over before setting up the mirror)
  • I cleaned the box using a special anti-static electronic equipment vaccuum from 3M
  • I installed a new Asus Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card
  • Installed the drivers for the graphics card
  • I started setting up the Oculus Rift software, but quit at the point where it wanted the sensors plugged in. I quit using the X in the upper right. That step had a "Skip" button anyway.

After I installed the graphics card I put the panels back on the machine and screwed them in place.

My machine was working just fine yesterday after the cleaning and the new graphics card. I didn't do anything more strenous with my machine than watching youtube videos and playing the PC ports of Disgaea 1 and 2 for a bit. I saw no blue screens or other errors, although I didn't look at the system event log.

EDIT 2: Apparently this model does not support flashing the BIOS... so I'm screwed?

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
CPU: Intel i7-4770
Graphics: Asus Nvidia GTX 1070

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I have googled, but the results were basically "it could be any one of a number of issues. :shrug: "

So is my CPU (inexplicably) fried? Are there other things I could try to narrow down the problem? Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

EDIT: Ooh... this thread ("Computer won't POST (or enter BIOS) with new video card") looks useful, it looks almost exactly what my problem is, but it's not the same motherboard.

EDIT 2: Apparently this model does not support flashing the BIOS... so I'm screwed?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The CPU is probably okay. I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if that works.

What kind of PSU are you using and how old is it?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zogo posted:

The CPU is probably okay. I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if that works.

What kind of PSU are you using and how old is it?

Sorry for the delay replying, I was away and the forums seem to be acting slow tonight for me.

Yeah, I have a hard time figuring out how this makes sense either how it could be the CPU.

I just tried your advice, I removed the graphics card completely and plugged the monitor into the motherboard display port. It didn't change anything, still no BIOS screen or beep code.

The PSU I'm using is a Coolermaster GX Bronze 650 W, and it has to be at least two years old. I guess it could be broken, although it seems to at least be happily powering lights and fans. I guess it might have been underpowered for the graphics card, but if there was a problem I would have expected it on first powerup, or bluescreening or crashing when playing games (although not like Disgaea PC is graphically intensive).

I just picked up a new Antec Truepower Classic 750 W PSU today though. It's still in the shrinkwrap, though.

Tomorrow I'll probably take it into a shop I trust to see if they can isolate the problem.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I haven't taken it in yet, but if the problem is the motherboard, will Windows 7 complain if there's a new motherboard of a different make and model? Because I would prefer to not have to wipe and re-install Windows. I can always order a replacement Mboard matching the old one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I haven't taken it in yet, but if the problem is the motherboard, will Windows 7 complain if there's a new motherboard of a different make and model? Because I would prefer to not have to wipe and re-install Windows. I can always order a replacement Mboard matching the old one.

Just got the news - the repair shop said that the motherboard was broken. They have a Z97 in stock which they can use to replace my Z87-A, and they say Windows will still work without needing to be reinstalled.(but new drivers will need to be installed, naturally).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Just got the news - the repair shop said that the motherboard was broken. They have a Z97 in stock which they can use to replace my Z87-A, and they say Windows will still work without needing to be reinstalled.(but new drivers will need to be installed, naturally).

It may work but it's not best practice to switch motherboards like that without a fresh install. It won't hurt to try but I'd never do it or recommend it.

Also, it's recommended that everyone switch to W10 at this point if possible. All those older versions of Windows are not being updated properly any longer. Even Windows update itself isn't working correctly for the older OSs.

I guess it could be broken, although it seems to at least be happily powering lights and fans. I guess it might have been underpowered for the graphics card, but if there was a problem I would have expected it on first powerup, or bluescreening or crashing when playing games (although not like Disgaea PC is graphically intensive).

Failing PSUs can show a variety of symptoms and work/not work in all different ways so they can be hard to diagnose without trying another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Obviously, yes, it is not ideal and not something I'd normally do either, but if my choices are "wipe out everything on the C: drive and start over", and one which will at least give me a chance to save some of the data before doing something, I'd at least like to try to save the data first. I can't do that without plugging the drive into another system anyway.

I suppose another option might be to order another Z87 from somewhere, but that could take weeks of shipping.

I'll look into a Windows 10 upgrade.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 8, 2017

• Locked thread