Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The CPU is probably okay. I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if that works.

What kind of PSU are you using and how old is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I haven't taken it in yet, but if the problem is the motherboard, will Windows 7 complain if there's a new motherboard of a different make and model? Because I would prefer to not have to wipe and re-install Windows. I can always order a replacement Mboard matching the old one.

Just got the news - the repair shop said that the motherboard was broken. They have a Z97 in stock which they can use to replace my Z87-A, and they say Windows will still work without needing to be reinstalled.(but new drivers will need to be installed, naturally).

It may work but it's not best practice to switch motherboards like that without a fresh install. It won't hurt to try but I'd never do it or recommend it.

Also, it's recommended that everyone switch to W10 at this point if possible. All those older versions of Windows are not being updated properly any longer. Even Windows update itself isn't working correctly for the older OSs.

I guess it could be broken, although it seems to at least be happily powering lights and fans. I guess it might have been underpowered for the graphics card, but if there was a problem I would have expected it on first powerup, or bluescreening or crashing when playing games (although not like Disgaea PC is graphically intensive).

Failing PSUs can show a variety of symptoms and work/not work in all different ways so they can be hard to diagnose without trying another.

• Locked thread