Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

LGD posted:

Golden Island Korean BBQ pork jerky at Costco.

gently caress that sounds good. There should be more asian jerky flavors around. I like when Jack Link occasionally does their Kung Pao jerky. That poo poo is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Let me make it clear, I've handled meat until it was dry and tender in my hand

Plus I've also made jerky in a cheap Walmart dehydrator

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

935 posted:

Some goon made $15,000 selling beef jerky on SA Mart four or five years ago before it was discovered he was just buying something at Sams Club and repackaging it. There was one goon who was spending $150 A MONTH claiming it was the best jerky he'd ever eaten

haha was that the poo poo that former mod or admin or whatever he was louisgod bought 47 pounds of?

if not it's hilarious anyway: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1457686&userid=42569

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I wish I could find a way to scam Goons out of their money. I think a few good ideas would involve losing weight with no effort, maybe a pick-up guide that is "foolproof", or some kind of plus size clothing company catering to the discerning Goon

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I like perky jerky Turkey jerky

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jesus Christ posted:

Make your own!

Get one of those cheap wal-mart dehydrators, a couple pounds of top round, some worchestershire sauce and soy sauce and whatever spices you want to add to it (I do black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and a bit of cumin. Some people like to add brown sugar or molasses but I prefer not to).

Do the worchestershire/soy mixture 50/50, add the spices, then add the beef sliced pretty thin into it. Store it in the fridge overnight in several large ziplock bags (or a huge tupperware container if you have one).

Next morning (or afternoon if you slept in), throw them slices into the dehydrator (after eating a couple before hand -- yes it's raw but there's no bad poo poo thanks to the sheer salinity of the brine and it is loving delicious), wait some number of hours, and voila! The best beef jerky you've ever had! And it makes your place smell amazing too.
Dont even buy a dehydrator, they are garbage unitaskers and will barely work like poo poo. Rest of this is oslid though

Get a cheap box fan which you should prolly already have, bungie cords and a pack of those cheap air filters and stack meat in between and off you go. works much better

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-beef-jerky-recipe-0170068.html

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
bridgeford used to be better; oh well

also jerky is too fucken expensive these days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
also the jerky goon/big johns jerky was some p good poo poo. i usually just get a few lbs once a year before backpacking trips. i think if you had to buy jerky, it's probably the best bang for the buck.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

pants in my pants posted:

haha was that the poo poo that former mod or admin or whatever he was louisgod bought 47 pounds of?

if not it's hilarious anyway: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1457686&userid=42569

The guy he buys jerky from is still selling so I don't think so. That said, its pretty good if its from Sams club and gently caress if I got doobied again.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

That Robot posted:

bridgeford used to be better; oh well

also jerky is too fucken expensive these days

More expensive, per pound, then steak here.

But, jerky has the utility bonus. Because I can't... Don't want to carry a top end steak in a baggy, for when I want to snack.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smeed posted:

The guy he buys jerky from is still selling so I don't think so. That said, its pretty good if its from Sams club and gently caress if I got doobied again.

its not from sams club. idk who started that rumor but it's not true, theres' already plenty of funny goonschengaigan scams without needing to make on up. sams club doesn't sell black pepper garlic, mango jalepeno, fiery teriyaki and all the other poo poo they have which is really good. i think sams club had some plain one but it sucked iirc

costco jerky is also dece in a pinch, but not as good as big johns there. but really just make your own it owns

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 7, 2017

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it's from sam's club

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Xaris posted:

its not from sams club. idk who started that rumor but it's not true, theres' already plenty of funny goonschengaigan scams without needing to make on up. sams club doesn't sell black pepper garlic, mango jalepeno, fiery teriyaki and all the other poo poo they have which is really good. i think sams club had some plain one but it sucked iirc

costco jerky is also dece in a pinch, but not as good as big johns there. but really just make your own it owns

that short post got a lot longer.
awfully defensive aren't we?

e:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

it's from sam's club

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

More expensive, per pound, then steak here.

But, jerky has the utility bonus. Because I can't... Don't want to carry a top end steak in a baggy, for when I want to snack.

ya but what sucks is that in stores it's always prepackaged stuff unless you're out in the country

you can buy a bunch online but you can't see it up close and it ain't the same

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i like jerky but i always ask myself is it worth the price

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

nomadologique posted:

i like jerky but i always ask myself is it worth the price

If not on sale, they can go to hale

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have eaten maybe 2 pieces of jerky total my entire sad existence. I am not beefy

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

I have eaten maybe 2 pieces of jerky total my entire sad existence. I am not beefy

C'mon you little pissbitch. Get beefy. Get real beefy.

But no seriously get a dehydrator and make jerky. It's loving great for traveling, camping, just getting a little extra protein on a meat-light day, or anything really. There's no bad time to get your jerk on.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Xaris posted:

Dont even buy a dehydrator, they are garbage unitaskers and will barely work like poo poo. Rest of this is oslid though

Get a cheap box fan which you should prolly already have, bungie cords and a pack of those cheap air filters and stack meat in between and off you go. works much better

"Why yes goon sir I would like to try some of your gourmet beef jerky that's sandwiched between those musty air filters"
*pulls fibers and lint off sample, nibbles*
"This makes Sams Club jerky taste like horse poo poo! I'd like to buy six pounds! Do you take bitcoin?"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

Best jerk is at the jerk store, OP.

They called, by the way.
It's bad news.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

935 posted:

"Why yes goon sir I would like to try some of your gourmet beef jerky that's sandwiched between those musty air filters"
*pulls fibers and lint off sample, nibbles*
"This makes Sams Club jerky taste like horse poo poo! I'd like to buy six pounds! Do you take bitcoin?"

Yeah I've seen this method before. I'm sure it works but I can't get past how off putting it is when I look at it. I used to work in apartment maintenance and have changed more of those filters than I can possibly count. Even cleans ones don't give me that "yes I'd like to eat meat off of this" vibe.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

pants in my pants posted:

i felt certain 47 pounds of beef jerky was a joke until i clicked on the link lmao

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol if you think anything before 1983 was somehow more hygienic than that.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

here let me hang this ham in a moldy loving cave i dug nex tto my house

yum yum

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

nomadologique posted:

here let me hang this ham in a moldy loving cave i dug nex tto my house

yum yum

Nobody's saying that's preferable though?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
What is the communist equivalent of beef jerky

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WatermelonGun posted:

frozen meat strip

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
rancid pate in a can.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

WatermelonGun posted:

Ear of dog, tail of dog, ear of pig, Chechen breast of housewife, all the parts only make the ugly beast remove projection, not to kill it, so it can work in fields

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I just order 10 pounds of pink fiberglass to pump air through to get a unique jerk flavor previously unseen. How many pounds should I put you down for?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Xaris posted:

uh, spoiler alert: alton brown's method is really overcomplicated, you don't have to circulate the air that much when you're jerkin'

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Xaris posted:

also the jerky goon/big johns jerky was some p good poo poo. i usually just get a few lbs once a year before backpacking trips. i think if you had to buy jerky, it's probably the best bang for the buck.

I liked it at first but it eventually started making my mouth/jaws super sore. My mouth must be too weak to chew on beef properly.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I liked it at first but it eventually started making my mouth/jaws super sore. My mouth must be too weak to chew on beef properly.

I too prefer more tender cuts, rawhide is for my pups

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its real expensive in the UK it sucks

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

uh, spoiler alert: alton brown's method is really overcomplicated, you don't have to circulate the air that much when you're jerkin'

How much do i need to circulate my jerkin air

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Alton brown is a god king tho

I'm gonna make his jerky next week

I've taken the liberty of finding that video on YouTube to embed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtkluZmqPwk

Also the list of ingredients for the marinade

quote:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 7, 2017

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
gently caress a soy sauce recipe

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My favorite soy sauce recipe is to go to the fukken store and pick up some kikkoman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a Chinese grocery near to my apartment in New York and while they had forty different kinds of soy sauce they didn't have Kikkoman because of their racial hatred toward the Japanese lol

• Locked thread