Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Front Mission Evolved is a third-person shooting action game spin-off of the classic Squaresoft/SquareEnix turn-based strategy game, Front Mission. Far from what I'd call a smash hit, the game's 2010 release was met with terminal disinterest from both fans of the series and the gaming public at large. There hasn't been a new Front Mission game since.

Front Mission Evolved comes off as very half-baked in every aspect—other than customizing your stompy killer robot—but is still fun to play. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking from the experience.

The developer, Double Helix Games, have since gone on to release three games no one has heard or cares about—Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters, Battleship (based on the 2012 sleeper hit movie based on the Parker Brothers board game), and Killer Instinct Season 1—before releasing actual good game Strider (a reboot of the old Arcade/NES games) in 2014.

Front Mission Evolved isn't too long, and I'll be covering 1-2 missions per video depending on the length of each mission. Should be around ~30 minutes per episode.

Episode 1: This Can't Be Happening post commentary no commentary
Episode 2: The Thread Tag is Now Relevant post commentary no commentary
Episode 3: Gears of Wanzer post commentary no commentary

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

For all its faults, Front Mission Evolved has a pretty robust customization system for its violent combat robots. Please submit Wanzer designs (and/or paint schemes) for the next mission and I'll pick the one that is the most popular/coolest/actually completes the mission.

Current Parts List if you want to ask for specific weapons/parts.

Colors
Give me a hex value and pattern. I'll try to get as close as possible with the current patterns/decal selection.

Robot Gallery

Zephyr

Used in Mission 1. Parts: Zephyr-A, Agility Backpack, Raptor, Bone Breaker, Bone.

Zephyr B

Used in Mission 2. Parts: Zephyr-B, Agility Backpack, Castray, Bone Breaker, Bone

Hotline Monus

Used in Mission 3. Parts: Enyo, Zephyr, Frost, Wildgoat, Agility Backpack, Shotgun, W-100, Donkey

Dylan Ramsey

Our generic protagonist. Works for Diable Avionics, one of the major Wanzer manufacturers in the UCS. Has the personality of a slice of Wonder bread.

Amy Kohen

Amy Kohen could be an interesting character, if she ever got characterization beyond concern and/or exasperation about Dylan and his antics.

Adela Seawell

Adella is a low-resolution photocopy of a certain other giant robot pilot who has a red robot and is shouty with/attracted to the milquetoast main character.

Captain Hamilton

Competent and focused, but still open-minded and cool as a cucumber. Hamilton is probably my favorite friendly NPC. Of course, being a competent superior officer in a video game is basically asking to die tragically so the protagonist can overcome his issues with renewed determination.

Kuban Blisk Margus Seligman

Leader of the Apex Predators Apollo's Chariot, the most dangerous group of mercenaries on the frontier in the world. His titan wanzer could pass for a Coalition States warmech.

Alan Ramsey

Almost doesn't get enough screentime to justify the effort spent creating his 3D model.

Jed Taylor Gordon

Australian Samurai. The "honorable" one, unlike his comrade-in-arms. Pilots a Zenith with dual shoulder vulcans.

Yung Tae Hwang

The one Asian man in the game. Quotes The Art of War, so you know how Asian he is. Thanks, developers!

Godwin Moses Mosely

Definitely not a villain, I swear!

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 21, 2017

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
commentary no commentary

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 21, 2017

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
[

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
commentary no commentary

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh man this game. I love the villains in this game, especially since they take their beats from AC:0

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I am just about done this game, and while I enjoyed parts of it other parts were a huge letdowns.
In the interest of showing off a lot of stuff, I recently figured out how to hex edit my save and get infinite money. If you want to do that here it's not hard and I would suggest it for anyone who just wants to play casually.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Zushio posted:

I am just about done this game, and while I enjoyed parts of it other parts were a huge letdowns.
In the interest of showing off a lot of stuff, I recently figured out how to hex edit my save and get infinite money. If you want to do that here it's not hard and I would suggest it for anyone who just wants to play casually.

Hex editing is pretty interesting, do you have any advice or guidance on editing the saves?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
commentary no commentary

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 21, 2017

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

Hex editing is pretty interesting, do you have any advice or guidance on editing the saves?

Basically the only thing I figured out was how to edit money to maximum. Either way it's very easy.

1. Get a hex editor, I used HxD. (https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/)

2. Find your save. It should be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\2929802(this number is different for everyone)\43000\remote. The only file in there should not have an extension and be named as the same as the number that is different for everyone. IE. mine was 2929802.

3. Backup your save, HxD might do this automatically but just make a copy and rename the extension to .txt is what i usually do.

4. Open the file and use the search option at the top to find customslot05. Count down 5 more lines from where that is. On the left hand offset column this should be the row labeled 00002FD0.

5. Replace whatever is in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th slots of that row (so column 01,02,03 as seen at the top) with FF.

6. Save the file and when you open the game and go to the customization screen it should show you with functionally infinite money.

Looking at the stats screen will show your actual amount of money collected instead of the new hacked value, but in the Hanger it will just let you do whatever. I wasn't real successful with finding out where the other stuff like weight/power ratio, skate power or EDGE power was stored but really infinite money will let you do most things. Although it's not possible to have all the "best" parts and weapons on at once. You'll have to trade off somewhere.

If the instructions aren't clear I can make up some pictures to illustrate better, just not on the right computer this moment.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I want our slice of bread protagonist to drive the Frost, the second most familiar Wanzer in the series because it looks cool. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Man I remember playing the heck out of the multiplayer on the 360 when this launched. Everyone ran cheesy grenade or missile spamming setups while I zipped around the map punching people.

• Locked thread