Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

Herman is cleaning up Houston as we speak. Pretty fantastic recruiter

Just checked in for the first time in a long time. We have 4 of the top 5 recruits in the state committed, and the other one isn't committed anywhere else, at least. All that could easily change, especially if we have a crappy season, but it's a good look so far. Plus we got an apparently very good WR named Brennan Eagles. That's not the team he plays for, it's his name. That's a top-tier WR name right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Just checked in on 24/7 again, and Herman is doing work here in the early goings. I'm sure other teams will load up a lot between now and February, and if we're mediocre this year we'll lose some of these early commits, but still impressive. Recruits seem to be responding to our weirdo dbag coach.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

So far Herman and crew appear to be absolutely crushing it in recruiting. If he can keep this up and pull in a series of top 5 classes, I don't even think anything else has to improve for us to be in contention for conference championships/playoff bids annually. Like if we had tOSU level talent and depth all over the field, we'd be undefeated right now and likely to go 10-2 at worst, with no improvement in the coaching/play calling required. After Mack had 4 years of stellar recruiting to stack the roster from top to bottom, he rattled off 9 consecutive seasons with 10+ wins, every one of them with Greg Davis running the offense.

If Tim Beck is a key part of this recruiting magic and he can help sustain it, maybe we can let him be our new Greg Davis for a while. That's exactly what he was at tOSU in 2016. The coordinator who had the fans pulling out their hair in frustration as the team went 11-1.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

loving christ. Since your last conference championship, national recruiting rankings:

2010 - #3
2011 - #3
2012 - #2
2013 - #24 (Mack Brown's final season)
2014 - #20 (Charlie Strong's short class)
2015 - #12
2016 - #11
2017 - #31 (Tom Herman's short class)
Currently #4

Recruiting numbers don't mean poo poo if your coaching staff sucks. It obviously didn't work between 2010 and 2014, and your recruiting has never been out of the top of the nation.

I agree coaches that suck can't do anything with big time recruits. Look at Tennessee. Mack's brain was irreparably broken after 2009 and then Charlie Strong showed up and kicked everybody out.

Our average rank over the last 4 years is 18.5, even before accounting for all the attrition (25% of our 2016 class is gone). I know it's more complex than this, but generally top 5 is preferable to the lower end of the top 20. Obviously there are teams out there doing more with less, but maybe we could do enough with more.

Our offense in 2005 wasn't great because a Greg Davis was a brilliant and innovative coordinator, it was great because it had Vince Young behind an o-line stocked with NFL talent.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Looking at 247, Herman seems to have packed this class with blue chips, but I find the lack of beef disturbing. We desperately need upgrades and depth on the offensive line, and a lot of the depth Strong recruited on the defensive line is transferring out. I hope we manage to hang on to what we've got and pick up at least a couple more big boys.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA RB commit Zamir White apparently tore his acl after he took a helmet to the knee.

He's going to become a guard now

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Doronin posted:

they had to fire their best evaluator early this year on account of doing something very, very stupid relative to Big XII recruiting because he's a petulant child.

go on...

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Does anyone have a sense of how many recruits are expected to sign on the 20th? In years past the first possible day to sign has been the de facto day when everyone signs. Has signing day effectively moved to December, or is this gonna be something that just a few players do?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Texas seems to be bringing in a pretty great haul everywhere except for the DL. Two 4* QBs, three 4* OL, a ridiculous group of DBs including the #1 and #3 safeties in the country, some 4* WRs, a desperately needed placekicker...

I think I saw we're tied with OSU for most ESPN 300 commits. I know being psyched for good recruits at Texas seems silly, but we really haven't had a class like this in a while. Strong's two good classes were both around #10, this one could easily end up top 5, and that's with a relatively small class.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
With the addition of Anthony Cook, Texas now has maybe its most insane DB class ever. #1, #3 and #6 safeties, #5 and #6 corners.

We've got 7 of the top 10 in-state players. A&M has one, the other two are uncommitted. Obviously circumstances worked in our favor with Baylor's fall and the transition year at A&M, but we fought off OU for a bunch of these guys, and a couple out-of-state guys too. Herman can recruit.

Now we need to use pretty much every remaining spot on linemen.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

G-Hawk posted:

yeah its real good

otoh the obvious joke is, finally texas has a good recruiting class, this should do it

So sad and so true. I think even in our recent years with merely good classes rather than outstanding ones, we were at or near the top of the conference for recruiting. It has not translated into contending for conference titles. And as amazing as the talent level in this class is, it doesn't fully address our areas of great need. We desperately need to get some more D-line dudes before February, and at least one more JUCO OL would sure be nice. Hopefully having all this talent locked up and ready to play alongside them will help us get the rest on board.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

an adult beverage posted:

The Bag Man cometh

I mean probably but also Scott Frost just won a national championship* at a Florida school and presumably he’d been recruiting them during his time there.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LLCoolJD posted:

Three safeties and three cornerbacks; did the entire secondary graduate?

There was attrition there, yeah, but I think when you can go out and get basically all the top players in-state you should probably go for it and then figure things out from there. Athletes like that... a good coaching staff will find a way to use them.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Looks like all of Texas' commits actually got their letters in with no last minute flips or anything, plus we landed 4* DE Joseph Assai. I'm not sure if we have any targets left on the board. Even if we're done, this is a very impressive haul for Herman's first real class, I guess next year we'll see if he can keep it up with Jimbo and Tim Brewster down the road at A&M. Results on the field would probably go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think UF will be fine even if they don't have a million 5 star players signing. Mullen seems to do well with less, and if he can start showing some improvement from the Mac era, he'll get those bigger name guys.

It's also a transition class. Practically any transition class is going to be below the usual standard of the school. It's just part of the cost of a coaching change. A lot of these top recruits have been building relationships with coaches for years. Even the most home-run coaching hire is going to have a hell of a time establishing that level of trust and confidence in a couple of months. Even moreso now with a lot of recruits getting locked down on the early signing day, at which point new coaches have been there for a few weeks at most and likely don't even have all their assistants in place.

• Locked thread