Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

What the hell, why? I can almost understand after the kid commits somewhere else, but just an offer? Dumb.

Yeah. A lot of the kids tweet every offer they get. It's so novel to several of them that even Florida Atlantic is looking at them. There's a local who's getting a ton of offers from major schools and he's acknowledging and thanking even the Troy-sized offers on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Doronin posted:

I actively discourage the kids at IMG from making these stupid videos. We've only had a single kid participate in one since these dumb videos became a thing. And even then, I asked him to go home and do it because we wouldn't have any part of it. I just think they're tacky as poo poo, and if you have even a 0.1% chance of flipping, then it makes you look like an idiot.

I got a call from a pretty major site last year wanting to know if I could talk Kellen Mond into doing a trick shot commitment - wait for it - from a loving hot air balloon. I only told them that if they ever ask for a hot air balloon again, they'd never make another video on campus. That was the third time they asked about something involving a balloon like that.

Most of these things start with click-hungry sites covering offseason camps, and talking the kids into thinking anyone will be impressed with it. So odds are, yes, it'll probably get bigger/dumber as time goes on

Haven't encountered any ridiculous recruiting stuff yet, though I cover an area of mostly small, rural schools.

National Signing Day brought out the most overblown thing I've seen.

Tiny middle/high school in out in the sticks had five signing, two with Florida State, two with middling Division II programs and one with a junior college.

The signings took 90 minutes in a schoolwide assembly. We had to have:
- The JROTC bringing in the flag
- Cheerleaders to lead out the players
- A student leading the pledge
- The National Anthem from the high school band
- A student-led invocation
- Words from the principal
- A student to describe National Signing Day
- The coach to introduce the parents
- A local DJ to introduce the players
- The coach to further introduce the players
- Each player to speak
- Finally, the signings

I'm citing this from a slick program that was distributed. The only thing missing was videos, which I assume the system was too poor to own any editing software.

By contrast, the much larger school took five minutes after school to conduct its pair of signings. They also had a player sign with a pretty decent Division I school.

The local school finally has a legit D-I prospect who's gotten offers from most of the SEC (including Bama), FSU and Oregon. I'll see how ridiculous this gets. Hopefully not too bad as the coach lets kids have fun but has no tolerance for bullshit.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Brandon Doe, a minor prospect, but one of Georgia's top high school rushers last year, has been charged with armed robbery and two counts of aggravated assault.

Doe was getting looks from smaller Division I schools as a junior and had some offers. Talked with a scout from one of these during a spring game this year (for another high school) about area athletes and we were both impressed by him.

There looks to be solid evidence against him, based on the other kid getting popped because of what was found at Doe's residence.

So that looks to be the end of his chances.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pakled posted:

Georgia Tech flips and signs 4* ATH/QB James Graham from VT. :toot:

VT wanted him as a DB and he wanted to go somewhere where he'd be guaranteed QB play.

Graham injured his knee during his senior season. Missed about six weeks, came back, then got a concussion.

I've seen him play and he was a force when healthy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Salty rival fans launching private investigations owns. Hell it worked for Mississippi State.

One high school's fans hired a PI on another high school in my area and anonymously sent it out to all the area newspapers. The report was so mundane and was so far from proving anything that none of us bit. I still have the report somewhere.

• Locked thread