Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Thoguh posted:

I thought I read that they got him credentials from the ESPN producer to go behind the scenes on Gameday vs him just "randomly" ending up on set.

Wouldn't surprise me. It's amazing how many production side guys are fans who get unusual access to kids through work, and proceed to practically stalk/recruit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
To say every [decent] program cheats is an understatement. But KJI is right. The 'whales,' so to speak, are pretty limited. Everyone works within the resources they have if they're actually trying to be competitive. I thought about making a list of random things I know programs have "had no knowledge of happening," but the shortest way to sum up the bulk majority of things is that you should always look at the margins. It's how schools interact with the influencers in the kids lives. Not the kids themselves. The kids are usually kept in the dark aside from the ludicrous amounts of team apparel they're showered with.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm kind of glad Dan Mullen was flown into IMG in a helicopter this week. I think the kids were just interested in the fact he was there at all, but were really unimpressed with the chopper.

Either way, UF will very likely finally end their drought of recruiting at IMG. But it also helps that a motivated recruiter is in charge there.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Joey Freshwater posted:

I can't figure it out either. I guess it's good for the lower ranked kids because they can lock a school in early and avoid the inevitable situation where some kids get booted from a class because a higher ranked prospect commits last second on signing day. It's good for schools because they can lock kids in early and not have to worry about other schools flipping them last second.

I think it's going to be a year or two before we really know how this is panning out. But from the early returns, I don't think it's helping the kids very much. But on the other hand, it's helping move the coaching carousel along because now coaches can get kids to sign and haul rear end for a new job much sooner. See: Ed Warriner

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

D.N. Nation posted:

I can't get over '10 Florida being #1. (It made total sense at the time, mind. Urban was still perceived to be rolling.) That class was 1-3 in the WLOCP, lost to Georgia Southern, and played exactly one good month of football (October 2012) in four seasons. Y'all should fire Muschamp again somehow.

Earlier today I was looking back to see the last time only two SEC teams finished in the top-10 of recruiting rankings (2005, btw), and was reminded of that class. Somehow only Shariff Floyd and Trey Burton developed into good players. The only reason it wasn't the biggest overall class bust was because 2006 USC will never be outdone in that regard. That class was No. 1 by a country mile and really, really sucked in actual college football. Although, in general, the class of 2010 was pretty mediocre as a whole in terms of how they all developed. Of the top-5 classes that year, I'd argue that only Kenny Stills (Oklahoma) and C.J. Mosley (Alabama) really developed into good players at the college and NFL levels. I don't count Cam Newton that year because he was a RS-Jr when he signed.

Aside from that, here's my thoughts on NSD18...

- With only two teams from the SEC finishing in the top-10 for the first time in 13 years, we might finally really start seeing a shift in power begin. Maybe? Probably not but I wouldn't be too upset about it.

- Unless Ed Orgeron is truly some sort of bayou football savant at evaluating talent (he's not), him and his chief of staff Ponamsky are going to have one hell of a time explaining this class away to the Tiger faithful. A few decent prospects in there, but not enough secondary depth and no QB for a team with only a "blue chip" QB from last class who couldn't push Danny Etling for playing time? No bueno.

- Oklahoma only finished No. 9, but they secured a lot of guys I know can play and know how to win. That could be a really great class if they develop like I think they can.

- Alabama went all-in on rush-ends and DBs and I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. The only real shock was that they didn't offer/take a QB this year for the first time in maybe a decade. But with Tua and Hurts and Mac Jones, they'll be totally fine through the next cycle. Next year, however, I wager they'll load up on OL, and there will be plenty of them.

- Miami's class also may not have any future household names in it, but they're going to have all the depth they were missing in 2017, for sure.

- Georgia also had the most absurd haul of 'stars' in rankings history, but from what I hear from the coaches who have been passing through, it sounds like they've really upset the apple cart. Lots of other coaching staffs more upset than usual with their tactics (still trying to learn what in the hell they were doing to piss everyone off so bad). But it was also an absolute perfect storm this year. The most loaded the state has been in years while most of their chief rivals were rebuilding, so they were going to have an amazing class no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I’m extremely excited for this class. Last year we had a great class, but it was largely built with offensive guys. But this class is the best defensive class I can ever remember us signing. Our DL class in particular is up there with any other team. Perkins, Tatum, Thompson, and Redmond are all real legit blue chip guys. And I think Bookie will make a huge impact. We haven’t had a true shutdown corner prospect like that in a long time. Also pretty excited about TJ Pledger. RB is stacked for a long time. And then Brey Walker is just a monster on the OL.

Bookie is single-handedly the reason I'm going to watch more OU games. He's that good. His sole potential weakness might be his height, but that didn't stop guys like Vernon Hargreaves (UF, now Tampa Bay) from being an impact player. Plus he's an outstanding return man.

You're going to love him. He's also the most eloquent high school player I've ever been around, so odds are the SIDs at OU will make him one of the faces of the program for the next three years.

• Locked thread