Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
His knees will explode at the ripe old age of 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I think he's going to struggle a lot when pads go on and he loses leverage often.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Richt has never struggled to recruit.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VT has a QB commit this class who just beat Darrius Heyward-Bey's school record in the 100m. :stare:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

4* QB DeJuan Ellis de-committed from VT like 4 days ago and re-committed today in an incredibly weird recruitment. In a bizarre turn, this is a QB who actually sees himself as a WR or DB at the next level and was concerned he wouldn't be able to play those positions at VT. I'm assuming wires were somehow crossed and Fuente basically gave him carte blanche as to what he wants to do because he came back into the fold tonight. Usually with QB/ATH it's the other way around where they want to play QB.

Recruiting is dumb.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Kinda sorta doubt what happened here is what really went down and NCAA rules basically ensure everyone will only ever believe the kid since the coaches can't address it until after the fact. It's not out of the realm of possibility for this to happen as coaches have yanked offers for stuff like visiting while committed but I just can't buy into it happening for a benign tweet.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Oh he was committed, I didn't realize. This all makes way more sense then.

They definitely didn't remove his offer because of the tweet, that was just the bullshit excuse because they found out they didn't like him as a QB after all and had been distancing themselves for some time. Schools do this all the time although usually the kids pick up the hint by the lack of communication and start to look elsewhere on their own. I'd guess in this case since its the QB position UW couldn't afford to wait for him to put it together that they didn't want him.

Schools do this all the time, usually in the case of early offer/commits that don't pan out like they thought for one reason or another. At least the kid has time to find another school he likes and I'm sure if he can get UGA or UW offers he'll have no problem getting in somewhere good.

Grittybeard posted:

I believe the kid even more now.

Shame about those NCAA rules that constrict coaches from defending themselves attacking kids though.

I believe it now, too. I originally didn't know he was a commit which is why it confused me.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 14, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Korranus posted:

Isn't Georgia a better offer anyway?

To a neutral observer. Wisconsin was probably that kid's dream offer; he's crushed. In the long run he may be better off but he wants to be at UW.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Saw that brought up a couple days ago, very unimpressed. There's no real payoff and tricking recruiting site reporters, who are essentially just random people who write about recruiting not actual reporters with the time, ability, and resources (or conviction) to vet all their info, isn't really proving anything.

This is like calling the National Enquirer with a tip about Bat Boy and getting them to put it in the magazine for that week. They could have done more with this, I think.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 24, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

4* NC WR Tre Turner commits to VT.

Supposedly portends a couple other kids following him to VT. KJ Henry seemed excited but VT fans know better than to think a 5* DE would choose us.

Should get a 4* LB and 4* CB from it, most likely very soon and probably more, those 3 were just considered more of a package deal of sorts. Was important to land Turner as VT went all in on a #NC2VT campaign this year and whiffing on NC kids would look bad but the staff's actually really good at it and has gotten a bunch of quality players from there in recent years.

Turner's like a top 150 national prospect and the first big "star" to want to come play for Fuente (because why wouldn't you).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'm pretty sure the only way you're beating OSU for a recruit right now is if Urban decides to back off. I'd love to see how many "top 2/3" battles they lose this year.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, Fields de-committing has been coming for awhile now.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, Thompson is unfortunate but he probably wouldn't have qualified anyway so much ado about nothing. I like Goode, indifferent about the DE, but really like Harris.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

lamentable dustman posted:

Still need a RB and have been targeting Zamir White but sounds like he is going to UNC.

UGA you mean.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

There were some interesting rumors about why Bronco picked the job at UVA when he has no connections to the area whatsoever and well, if the 2-10 season didn't convince you his recruiting probably will.

UVA currently has 17 recruits. 5 of those recruits only have UVA as a P5 offer and another 4 only had one other P5 (Kentucky, Kansas, Wazzu, WVU). 15 of their 17 have less than 5 P5 offers and one of those two is a kid who garnered a ton of offers based on early freshman/sophomore stuff and who has just been given a rare downgrade from 3* to 2* on 247 because he peaked early and everyone else caught up.

All of this follows the #57 class they pulled in last year. Bronco is so in over his head it's astounding. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him gone by 2018's end.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

3* OL Jordan McFadden picked VT yesterday in a unique way. Starts about 40 seconds in.

https://www.facebook.com/DormanFootball/videos/1272224922900613/

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VT's recent LS commit just got ranked. If he was a part of UVA's class he would be their 2nd highest commit out of a class of 19.

UVA is so mega-hosed for the future.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

This thread is always great for laughing at powerhouse program fans who don't realize they're going to recruit amazing regardless of who is HC. You guys all lead such tough lives as fans.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ehud posted:

I had to watch four years of will muschamp coached football

3 national titles in your lifetime, you should have had to watch 40.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

lamentable dustman posted:

this Trevor Lawrence kid is gonna be pretty good imo

Yea, he's got a cannon. They said Quincy Patterson had a better arm at the Elite 11. :getin:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VT's about to land a commit Friday from a local kid named Cole Beck that almost didn't have an offer. He's a good-not-great RB who camped at VT two years in a row and couldn't earn an offer because apparently he has stone hands but NCSU, UNC, Pitt, WVU, and a host of other schools offered. He plays for Blacksburg HS and I've seen him play a couple times and I could take or leave him. Fans raised a lot of fuss for weeks about him not getting an offer, arguments being based on anything from his skin color (he's white) to where he plays (SWVA football produces better teams but not better players by and large than their 757 or 804 or NOVA counterparts). Eventually the staff came around and offered him out of the blue but had to recruit hard to land him as he was pretty spurned initially and is not actually from the area but moved there a few years ago.

The real point however, and the reason a lot of people wanted him offered period, is his speed. He is probably the fastest recruit in the country this year and at worst top 3. He ran a 10.41 100m (runner-up at outdoor nationals) and a 6.36 55m (top 10 national time), he is absurdly fast. He set the 100m and 200m all-class records for Virginia last year, too.

I guess the staff realized what the rest of us did, that such speed in your backyard is worth a risk regardless, especially when if you fail to offer you'd be playing against him every year. I'm not entirely sure what will happen to him as a RB but I think if he can prove competent at catching the ball that Fuente will put him in the right spot to do some real damage.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 4, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

It's a real Sophie's Choice—sacrifice 18 class for change or stick w Mac and Nuss and preserve it?

I saw UF's class, it's not remotely close to worth sticking with a bum coach for another year. Those classes have to be like top 3 nationally with potential program changers on it to me, at least for a school like UF. Even at a place that doesn't recruit well like VT it'd take something well inside the top 10 for me.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do you have to commit somewhere officially before sending your LOI? If not I guess he could still send his LOI in whenever he wants to without having to be committed somewhere.

From what I remember he also said Dec. 24th-ish but at the very least before the All American game which is 1/6. I really hope we're not into January and Butch is still here/we don't know who the new coach is.

Verbal commits are entirely worthless.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA RB commit Zamir White apparently tore his acl after he took a helmet to the knee.

As is tradition.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That reeks of an UGA commit trolling UF fans.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

If you've been here long enough you know that certain recruiting sites can favor or not favor your team. I've long been a proponent that Scout has forever been the worst at doing VT and virtually never ranked VT guys higher than other sites and very often ranked them significantly lower. I've long asserted that they also put essentially no effort into ranking the mid-Atlantic which is obviously VT's bread and butter. They have been a constant anchor on VT recruiting since their inception.

To that, 247 has dropped Scout from their composite ranking (CBS bought 247 a couple years ago and bought Scout last year and has kinda-sorta merged the two) so we're now left with 247, Rivals, and ESPN's rankings being averaged.

The result for VT? They've jumped from the #24 class to #17 simply because Scout was dropped. If that doesn't tell you how badly that loving garbage site has been holding back perceptions of VT recruiting nothing will.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 30, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Scout is just garbage in general and has been for a long time. IMO 247 is easily the best site for individual team recruiting. But then I really only follow them in regards to SEC schools so it might be different for other conferences.

Scout spends more time and effort doing the West Coast. The areas VT recruits in the most are where they spend the least time evaluating. I'm sure some schools will take a hit in the rankings for this because Scout did well for their average.

Still, one site being dumped and VT skyrocketing up 7 spots just affirms to me how unbelievably lovely they were for VT. It's solid confirmation of a very old theory amongst people who follow VT recruiting.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

With Scout: 1 composite 4* player
Without Scout: 4 composite 4* players

(composite 4* are harder to come by, especially for a VT, who usually gets 0-2 unquestioned blue chip kids a class and a few more who are on the edge depending on what site you browse).

Just the worst site, am happy it's finally dead.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I saw he visited Ole Miss and hesitated to post it because I figured one of the UF fans here would have just brushed it off but it certainly raised my eyebrow when I saw it.

Curious as to whether this was all about Mullen and what he wants in a QB or specifically because Mullen started chatting up Fields because if I had to guess I'd say the latter.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Fuente said he's anticipating every kid who's committed to VT to sign. I'll be curious if kids who don't do that are still around on NSD.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VT pulls in local 3*/4* WR/TE James Mitchell and 4* JUCO CB Jeremy Webb. UT was pushing hard for both, happy Fuente could close on them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

GT signed a dude named Justice Dingle today.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VT has a top 15 class :stare:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

This is infinitely better for about 115 of the 130 teams or whatever. The only people bitching are the Alabamas, OSUs, etc. who can wait until the literal last minute to get rejected and swoop in and steal someone else's prized recruit leaving them high and dry.

Feels like the best NCAA decision they've made in years.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Yeah, like UK signed all but one of their commits and several guys we've gotten signed (Kinnard, McCall, Square) are the types of guys big time programs would try to steal at the last minute to fill out their class. It's nice not having to worry about that this year.

VT signed 23 of 25, one of those is signing in February with his whole team and the other is going to decide between us and GT. There's 3-5 kids still on VT's plate so that gives the staff a ton of time to focus on them instead of being spread thin fending off the vultures.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's hard to evaluate, because who's to say it's not the best for the kids that they get the opportunity to play elsewhere? Although knowing Bama, they'd get recruited over and forced off the team, and/or it means someone else loses their roster spot.

Because dickhead adults calling kids hours from signing day going "sign here sign now now now do it do it do it" is never in the kid's advantage and that's exactly what happens with those 11th hour switches, kids bite on the pressure hard and the ink dries before they even have time to maybe regret it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Too many kids can't let go of that QB fantasy, especially when GT is the call.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

Hey, it worked out pretty well with Justin Thomas.

Kids typically leave VT's secondary as high draft picks, though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

"Coach with many years of recruiting experience in the SEC out-recruits G5 coach"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

McElwain was at Alabama for four years before he went to CSU.

Dan Mullen survived a decade in the most inhospitable conference in the country at one of the worst jobs possible in said conference (and still left of his own accord) while recruiting multiple 20 top classes in his time there.

Mullen being a better recruiter than Mac, especially at that school and especially in that state should not be remotely surprising and if anything it should be expected.

Head coaches are supposed to be big closers. It's rare that they aren't and even rarer that those coaches are decent at their jobs e.g. Frank Beamer. There's a wealth of difference between how assistants recruit and HCs recruit because of a variety of restrictions placed upon HCs and the otherwise lack of time they tend to have to dedicate towards individual recruits unless on a visit or in-home. There's also something to be said about how G5s and P5s recruit, the former essentially picking the scraps of the latter and usually recruiting against other G5s and low P5s. Mullen was recruiting against some of the toughest coaches and schools to recruit against for a decade and more than held his own. Like I said, him being better than Mac isn't surprising at all.

e: he also recruited against an in-state rival who was flat out knowingly buying commits, that's a whole other level of fuckery to deal with as well.

• Locked thread