Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Mark Richt is good at most coaching things because he's a really good coach

He never gave UGA the National Championship they so rightly deserve so he can't be that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the hell, why? I can almost understand after the kid commits somewhere else, but just an offer? Dumb.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

So in the past day, UGA has had 2 comitments for the 2018 class. Some people were worried because there was a lack of star-power in this class, but considering the monster class the 2017 one was, this was always going to be a small class anyway.

4-star offensive guard Warren Ericson, which is a position of need even though this last class had a ton of o-line talent
2/3-star (depending on service) cornerback Rachad Wildgoose, which is a top tier name.

Wildgoose will be interesting considering that if you give a drat about overall star ratings, he seems like a head scratcher. Some of the UGA messageboards are gnashing their teeth saying that he is like 114th at his position why isnt UGA getting top 10 at his position. It would be great if he was one of those diamond in the rough guys and played bigger than both his size (5'10") and rating.

UGA fans attitude over what they "deserve" never ceases to amaze or make me laugh.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah it's pretty sad tbqh. Then again, message board fans for all teams are a special level of crazy, especially on pay sites

There's also gotta be some correlation between the most obnoxious fans being ones that didn't go to the school. Maybe I saw it more because I lived in Atlanta for so long but I felt like the ones that were most vocal about them deserving a NC or whatever coach, etc. didn't go to the school.

Most of the guys I knew that actually went to the school, and I'm not specifically talking about UGA, were pretty level headed.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
4* RB Lyn-J Dixon just committed to the Vols

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The real UT picked up another RB commit out of Ga, this time 3* Anthony Grant.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another commit for UT in the span of 2-ish hours. Jamarcus Chatman, 3* DT that recently decommited from LSU, just committed to the Vols

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

4-star DT Greg Emerson committed to the Vols tonight. #1 player in Tennessee.

He should be a 5* the kid is ridiculous

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some dude named Shocky Jacques-Louis committed to UT. 3* WR out of FL but that name is pretty rad

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tennessee lands a commit from 4-star CB Jaycee Horn.

His dad is former NFL receiver Joe Horn, the guy that pulled the cell phone out from under an uprights pad after a TD

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doronin posted:

I've seen Gatewood play in person. On looks and physique alone, he reminds me of Josh Freeman, but more athletic. Problem is that he is very bad at QB. Back when he was still a sophomore, one of my friends who covers recruiting swore he was only getting hype/rankings on his measurables (which are impressive), but nothing to do with his actual skill. I've seen nothing to dispute that claim from 2+ years ago.

I know he wanted to go to FSU pretty bad, but I'd wager that he feels like he might actually get a shot to play QB at AU.

Now if he is ever convinced to switch positions, AU could have a hell of a player.

No need to be redundant

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
5* OL and #1 in state/#2 overall OT Cade Mays officially decommits from Tennessee. The writing was on the wall for weeks but he just made it official.

I would assume whoever comes in for Butch can get him back because he's been a Vol for a while and is a Knoxville native but this still hurts.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’m expecting him to get swept up to Jawjuh or Clemson while John Currie hems and haws. This is also assuming someone comes in for Butch.

He currently has official visits to OSU and Clemson, nothing I've seen about Georgia except proximity speculation

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

I saw UF's class, it's not remotely close to worth sticking with a bum coach for another year. Those classes have to be like top 3 nationally with potential program changers on it to me, at least for a school like UF. Even at a place that doesn't recruit well like VT it'd take something well inside the top 10 for me.

This is why I'm okay getting rid of Butch at the cost of losing recruits. We have/had a good class so far and the only one so far that's irreplaceable is Cade Mays and he was a long time commit from Knoxville who would likely come back once a new coach is announced. Anyone else we have or would lose due to Butch leaving is replaceable.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have to commit somewhere officially before sending your LOI? If not I guess he could still send his LOI in whenever he wants to without having to be committed somewhere.

From what I remember he also said Dec. 24th-ish but at the very least before the All American game which is 1/6. I really hope we're not into January and Butch is still here/we don't know who the new coach is.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scout is just garbage in general and has been for a long time. IMO 247 is easily the best site for individual team recruiting. But then I really only follow them in regards to SEC schools so it might be different for other conferences.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
4* Cam Wynn decommits from UT

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a new one. The #1 JUCO tight end tweeted this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/TheRealYungDom/status/939185774473355270?s=17

He eclipsed 24k over night. When I first saw the tweet he was around 2k

I’m sure when he doesn’t actually sign with Tennessee this won’t backfire at all.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 9, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hah yeah he deleted it. It said if he got 20k followers he’d sign with Tennessee on the 20th.

Here’s Tyler Birds response to it:

https://twitter.com/D1fuzzymuffin17/status/939213465914396672?s=17

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a bunch of croots visiting Knoxville this weekend but the one that really stands out because he has a great name is 3* QB Michael Penix.

I hope he becomes the next Jim Bob Cooter so that I can go to a game and hear the entire stadium chanting his name

PEEEEEEENIIIIIIIXXXXXX

PEEEEEENIIIIIIIXXXXXXX

Or the stadium takes turns playing the Penix game yelling PENIX gradually louder until the teacher hears them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
4* WR Alontae Taylor recommitted to UT this morning. I don't believe he was ever 100% gone and was just checking out his other options while we looked for a new coach, but it's good to have him back and a good start to Pruitt & team rebuilding the class.

Pruitt, Friend and Fulmer are all going to visit 5* OT Cade Mays and his family today to try and get him back on board. This will probably be the last time they really try, though he's not an EE so there's plenty of time left to recruit him. Would be nice to have him back as well.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

It is starting to look like Tennessee going to have to scramble for a QB this class. We lost Penix today, and Frost is recruiting Martinez hard. Still according to Penix the new staff wasn’t interested in him which gives me hope they have another QB they feel good about. We need a QB this class.

Martinez flipped to Nebraska just now. The story is that they were told to move on and they’re shooting for Trevor Lawrence who already has an offer and was interested in UT originally because he’s a huge Peyton fan.

Like there’s no way we get him but yeah we definitely need QBs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s no possible way that a school let’s a 5* QB transfer to a divisional rival and someone they play every year.

Bama and UGA never play each other so that made some bit of sense, plus with UGA having the major he wanted.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think in that case he could yeah, if he was okay with burning a year of eligibility. Though he may get this year back, but I havent followed that.

Kamara did that moving from Bama to us.

Ultimately both schools have to approve the transfer to wherever he’s going. They’re not going to approve transferring within division or conference and likely not anyone on their upcoming OOC schedule. Going the JUCO route is how kids get around that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah, thanks for Martinez I guess (now we can have "A-Magic" to go along with Taylor "T-Magic" Martinez" :v: ). A bit wary of guys who sit out their senior year, but what do I know?

I know next to nothing about the guy but he seems like a good pickup and I'm sure Frost can get him in a good place. Just wasn't a fit for the offense Helton runs I guess.

I actually do appreciate when new coaches do that - let a kid know, "hey maybe you should look elsewhere, you're not a good fit for what we're doing here" early enough that he's got time to find somewhere else to go. Yeah, it's tanking our class but I'd rather have guys that fit than I square peg, round hole situation. See: Hurd, Jalen

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3* QB JT Shrout decommitted from Cal and just signed with UT

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That dude that was begging for twitter followers for his recruitment picked Tennessee

that was definitely a first

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bitch everybody cheats

If you ain’t cheatin you ain’t tryin

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

woo we got Asante Samuels Jr!

gently caress his dad though. Dude left his mom, started a new family, went on Football Wives, never even acknowledged this kid exists
https://twitter.com/Tomahawknation/status/944320912106631169

If the UCLA/Miami/OSU number included #4 CB Olijiah Griffin he decommited from UCLA and named Tennessee his #1 yesterday. He had an OV to UT just before the dead period. He seems like a good player and all but who cares because his dad is Warren G!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/blakemorganSEC/status/948670547457724417?s=17

:getin:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The fact that Pruitt could feasibly pull in a Top 20 class is pretty amazing considering where this class was a few weeks ago.

He's annouced that he's committing on Saturday.

There's also this:

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2018/01/03/vols-contention-another-highly-rated-2018-linebacker/

quote:

Tennessee is already in on one highly-rated outside linebacker in the 2018 class. Now it appears they may be in on a second one.

The Vols are the favorites now to land four-star outside linebacker J.J. Peterson in the 2018 class. Peterson is ranked as the No. 44 overall prospect and 2nd-ranked outside linebacker in the class according to the 247Sports Composite. And now it appears the No. 3 outside linebacker in the 2018 cycle is also considering the Vols.

Quay Walker is a four-star prospect and the No. 65 overall recruit in the 2018 class per the 247Sports Composite. He is also from Georgia like Peterson, and he’s currently committed to Alabama. Peterson was never committed to the Tide, but they were considered his favorites for a long time.

That is, until Jeremy Pruitt left for Tennessee.

Once Pruitt was hired as the Vols’ head coach and began recruiting for Tennessee, Peterson began to change his tune. Kevin Sherrer, who serves as Georgia’s outside linebackers coach and will reportedly be Pruitt’s defensive coordinator, has also been pivotal in Peterson’s recruitment. And now both are at Tennessee.

And just like with Peterson, Walker is starting to reconsider his options because of Pruitt and Sherrer.

In an interview with Chris Kirschner of SEC Country, Walker said he’s “unsure” about his commitment to the Tide because of the departure of Pruitt.

“I was looking forward to being coached by Coach Pruitt,” Walker told Kirschner. “That plays a big role in it. And then sometimes I hear rumors about Coach Derrick Ansley (Alabama’s defensive backs coach) leaving. That’s my main recruiter, so it’s all about coaches that I can trust and that I know I can go to just in case I can’t talk to my mom or something. I can go and talk to them.

“So pretty much Coach Pruitt leaving, I heard rumors about Coach Ansley leaving, and my heart pretty much changed a little bit. I’m not going to lie to you about it. That’s what happened, though.”

Pruitt isn’t the only Vol coach who has had an impact on Walker thus far, though. Kevin Sherrer recruited him hard at Georgia, and now he’s recruiting him to Tennessee.

“I’ve had like five or six in-home visits with Coach Sherrer,” Walker stated. “As soon as he left and went to Tennessee, he came like two times. That’s going to be big.”

Right now, Walker is scheduled to visit Florida on January 12th, Georgia on January 19th, and Auburn on January 28th. He hasn’t planned an official visit to Tennessee yet, but he’s expected to decide on his final visits in the near future.

It appears as though Walker may be deciding between Alabama and Tennessee for his final official visit. If the Vols can land a visit from Walker, they stand a fighting chance with the rest of the schools recruiting Walker.

Tennessee has made tons of progress with several highly-rated players since Jeremy Pruitt took over as head coach. Quay Walker is yet another name to add to that list, and the Vols will be pushing hard to land him.

tldr; Walker has a great relationship with Pruitt and Sherrer was his recruiter at UGA, so things look good for UT.

If we land both of them that would be the #2 and #3 OLBs in the country.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee offered Tua’s brother, Tualia. I wonder how many offers that kid is going to rack up

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/952627586949099520?s=17

Hell yeah go get him JJ

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tennessee got a commit from 4-star WR Jordan Young today.

This kid went from unknown to #190 in the nation and a 4* overnight. Literally every single one of his predictions came out yesterday.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheGreyGhost posted:

His tape is preposterous. No idea how that guy wasn't heard from before.

Reading up on him apparently this past year was his only real year playing and there have been worries about his grades (lol yeah like coaches give a gently caress about that)

He was also more focused on track previously. Dude is faaaaast. Claims to be 4.43 40 but hasn’t been officially timed.

His tape is wicked. Some of the catches he makes over the top of defenders is unreal.

e: here’s the video

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5635071/5a15c30115f6331130aa1040

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

It's almost as if star ratings are arbitrary ;)

But catching players off the radar is always the sign of a good recruiter

I mean, to a point sure. The difference between a 3 and 4 Star is probably negligible. But this kid is different. He wasn’t on anyone’s radar. He wasn’t attending camps and was largely focused on track instead of football. Last year he didn’t play much but this year he played and put up fantastic numbers and then recently started attending camps and people went “...oh!”

Interest is starting to increase for him, but Tennessee made an offer before His rating jumped so that meant a lot to him. He’s said he’s gonna take a look at Auburn and Miami who have invited him for OVs. FSU has invited him but he doesn’t seem interested.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2018/1/18/16905574/college-football-recruiting-isaac-taylor-stuart-visit-tennessee-jeremy-pruitt

https://twitter.com/Kingathlete5/status/953757839448719360

https://twitter.com/Kingathlete5/status/953757893731393536

:getin:

If Pruitt could bring this kid in that would be awesome. He's USC's at the moment even though we get his final visit.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lot of smoke lately that Tennessee is going to flip current Alabama commit Quay Walker, who is a 4-star LB and the 3rd ranked OLB in 2018. Would be a huge get if that turns out to happen.

He’s either going to us or UGA I think. He’s still technically committed to Bama but he’s gonna flip to someone. Pruitt was his recruiter at Bama and he loves the guy.

Him and JJ Peterson (4* OLB UT commit) are buddies now and JJ has been recruiting him hard

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I think we end up getting Walker and 4-star WR Jacob Copeland. Pruitt and staff are doing work.

4* CB Isaac Taylor-Stuart would be one to keep an eye on too. If we were closer to home I’d say it was all but guaranteed he likes the UT staff a lot but I dont think he wants to stray too far from home so he’s gonna go to USC.

FSU is also making a hard push for the 4* WR Jordan Young who I think will be the gem of the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Has Tennessee made that much progress with Copeland? :confused:

Everyone has had him as a 50/50 between UF and Bama for a while now.

He’s had a lot of visits with UT recently

https://twitter.com/JCope1era/status/958889338581995521?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

Not that that means anything, but some people are saying it’s shifting some

• Locked thread