Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
National Signing Day 2017 is over! 'Bama wins, what a twist!

24/7 Composite Final Rankings
    1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Georgia
    4. USC
    5. Michigan
    6. FSU
    7. LSU
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Auburn
    10. Florida
And last year's top 10:
    1. Alabama
    2. FSU
    3. LSU
    4. Ohio State
    5. Michigan
    6. Ole Miss
    7. Georgia
    8. USC
    9. Auburn
    10. Clemson
It's almost like the same teams are the best recruiters every year...

What is the best part of following recruiting?
The name game, bar none. Not only do you find out the members of the all-name team years before everyone else, you find out about the ones that may or may not contribute. See: the thread title.

Recruiting sites:
While this thread is a great resource for keeping up with recruiting on a national level, if you want to follow a specific team, you probably want to subscribe to one of the three main services (Scout was recently purchased by 247, and will be migrated to the 247 platform).

The main issue with picking which service to follow is the school to which you owe allegiance. For VT, for example, 24/7 is currently king of the mountain, but it wasn't all that long ago that Rivals was. So do your research before dropping any of your hard-earned :10bux: just to be on the bleeding edge of recruiting info.

Which kid gives my team the most fantasy recruiting points?!
Early watch lists are out now, they're all guaranteed to change quite a bit over the next year as new players emerge, more well-known ones drop in the rankings, and kids move up. Everything is dynamic and constantly in flux. That said, here's the early overall rankings:

Oh man look at all that social networking these kids are doing!
Please god don’t interact with kids on Twitter/FB/etc. It’s fine to follow them if they’re publicly tweeting or whatever, but don’t be a terrible creeper.

Things to follow during the spring/summer:
    Spring Games: For many schools this is a huge recruiting event, and can draw a crowd that'd be considered huge for a game day at smaller schools.
    Junior Days: Time for the fresh crop of next year's recruits to hit campus, take in practice so they can see what they're getting themselves into coaching wise, and get a feel for their top schools.
    Camps: Recruits also come to camp to be seen competing. A great opportunity for less-scouted players to have a shot at a scholly or a walk-on offer.
Hope you're all ready for the chase for mediocrity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Anyone wanna guess how fat he is when he gets to school? Supposedly he's a soft/pudgy ~250 so far as an incoming freshman linebacker.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

VT got a commitment from 3* NC CB DJ Crossen today. Former UNC commit, should be a good one for us at a position of huge need.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Mostly decent weekend for VT.

Commits from: 3* DT Cam Goode from DC, 3* DE Eli Adams from South Carolina, 3* OL John Harris from GA. Both the DL are short, but very much fit what Bud Foster likes to do with his DL, so I imagine they'll be fine in Blacksburg. The OL was top of our board remaining for interior OL, and is our first committed this class at a position of huge need, so that's nice.

On the negative side, 3* WR Bryce Thompson, who should likely be a 4* based on pure talent, decommitted from VT and seems unlikely to be able to enroll in any P5 school.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

uh i think you'll find that unc is now QB university thanks

Only if it's dry out!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I've seen drier swimming pools than that loving game.

Mitch was basically Titus playing blitzball out there. Except he sucked.

Just messin' with ya, but I do have to say I LOVE crazy inclement weather games. Stayed in the crowd bodypainted for a game in Blacksburg my freshman year against TAMU that had a hurricane pass through, was far too much fun (and far too cold).

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

lamentable dustman posted:

4* DB out of GA Kyler McMichael committed to Clemson.

A Rivals guy wrote this and it made me laugh

Our class is filling up, 12 commits already when we are taking 14 or 15. Still need a RB and have been targeting Zamir White but sounds like he is going to UNC. He commits next week. Other big target is DE KJ Henry.

KJ Henry's Bama's to lose.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

"We really like you but please don't tell the other QB we're recruiting!"

**Tells to a recruiting website**

Ha that's hilarious. Seems like Fields is leaning away from Florida. Fields being the QB is also a huge part of the draw to UF for 4* TE Kyle Pitts. Currently leaders are supposedly UF and VT in that order, but he's decided to visit Blacksburg again soon, and our star QB commit is in his ear and on his team at The Opening. Here's hoping Fields picks Auburn or FSU.

Both of them in drills today.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

More like https://247sports.com/Player/Daniel-Faalele-46037283

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

divx posted:

He can redshirt the year he has to sit out though right?

As long as he hasn't taken one, yeah.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Real Name Grover posted:

Sounds like Schiano's decision to stick around changed his mind. Ah well.

Nebraska was out of it yesterday. He'd decided on VT yesterday and informed coaches, then changed his mind today w/ Urban's last minute push.

That said I'm fine with VT's finish, would've been happy if we'd pulled one of Anthony Grant or Jevontae Jean Baptiste, but better to go never play at a blue blood than start for a top 20 program, I'm sure.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to say I'm drafting the 19 thread and will have it posted once signing day's officially over. Title suggestions: go!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Parsons is good, and you lost him due to a self-own.

Oweh and Jean-Bapiste are overrated. Oweh is a raw athlete who's done nothing, Jean-Baptiste is just a generic *** being overrated because you can't flip December signees.

Jean-Baptiste has really good film, and was only lightly recruited because he was thought to be a non-q. He'll need time to put weight on, but have seen evals from former VT players just absolutely glowing about his potential. He's not can't-miss, but he's got the chance to be really good, and I wish he were at VT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

New thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848672

• Locked thread